Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: American women Vs. European women
American Women 26 29.89%
European Women 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 PM

252 posts, read 555,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The problem is when use a scenario and try to extrapolate it across 300 million people. We are the third largest nation in the world by population. There is no "one way" we women are. I remember your initial post lamented Britney Spears and Ke$ha--there are literally millions of women who couldn't care less about vapid pop stars.

Actually, yes. But point taken. I do not know what it is like for a younger man in today's dating market. I do know, however, that men without your education or good looks find mates. People are still getting married, and a lot of the brides aren't like Bridezillas from whatever that show is on cable.

I know that I, like many women, manage the household budget and do almost all the shopping. I write all the checks, I pay all the bills, I do all the clothes shopping for our children, I told my husband how much he could spend on his new car. Almost all our joint discretionary income is spent by me ... for our family. From one point of view, I am the major consumer in this house. From another point of view, despite spending almost all there is to spend, I buy almost nothing for myself.

Yes, I notice it. I was in Target this morning (major consumer that I am ) and in the little girls' department was a picture of a girl wearing a T-shirt that said, "Play like a girl. Beat the boys." This type of shirt is fairly common ("Girls rule, boys drool," etc.), but you don't see the reverse (e.g., "Play like a boy. Beat the girls"). I was reminded of an article I read a while back, saying that a boy had worn a shirt to school simply saying, "Boys are good," and he was asked to take it off.

However, I do not agree with claims that schools are evil feminazi institutions bent on castrating boys, which is where this type of conversation typically goes. I have a seven-year-old son and have no complaints about his schooling. But I do agree that some odd misandry exists (as does misogyny) in general.

I have heard about situations that seem unfair, yes, but they involve both men and women. I have few problems with laws as a whole, although I agree that they may be applied unfairly.

The U.S. is a large country with countless social groups. Perhaps you are mingling in the wrong circles?
I realize all women are not the same, just like men. However each country has social norms that can be dispersed. Take Japan for example, one could say they are quite and polite. Does that mean that there aren't any loud and rude Japanese. No. Take Germany for example, one could say that they are extremely hard workers. Does that mean that there aren't any lazy Germans. No. These are generalizations but they are there for a reason.

You may not fall into these statistics but that doesn't mean the mass majority of American women do not. Go back to the 60's on the topic of race relations. One could name an incident about a black on white violence, however that is just an incident. However, white on black violence was the true variable. Just like rape. A man could name an incident about how a women raped a man, but truthfully, that cannot be considered a viable statistic.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Not really sure how you can lump all European women together, the cultural and social differences can be vast between the countries.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
Instead of attacking me I would love to see one of you prove me wrong. The men on this forum have spoken. The men on other forums have spoken. The divorce rate and ever growing singles market speaks for itself. Why is it when a man opens up about a growing social problem, you immediately go for his balls.
I could care less who you date. I find the psychological need to post to a public place your preference odd.

I also find your views narrow minded, and despite your traveling you don't seem very worldly. If you like European women than by all means date them. I don't think that reflects badly on American women at all. It's your personal preference. Though your lumping of all those different European cultures together seems lazy at best. In addition, the US is huge, and the differences between men and women is vast both within a singular locale, and more so from one location to another. Someone from Hawaii is probably the polar opposite of someone from New York. If none of these variations meet with your approval, then there is definitely something else going on.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 PM

193 posts, read 450,110 times
Quote:
One of the things that I am trying to point out is the cultural difference in how we interact between genders is changing, and in my opinion, for the worse.
See, now if you opened a thread about this, you might have gotten different reactions.

The problem is that mainstream media is influencing how many people (men and women) lead their lives and how they view the world. Just like how junk food is making us fatter, we are fed an unrelenting diet of shiny, smiley, sparkly people in their shiny, smiley, sparkly cars with their shiny, smiley, sparkly homes and we are told: you too can be like this; in fact, you deserve to be like this, smart, successful people are like this, you just need to keep buying, buying, buying and buying to get there. And to afford this (to prove how worthy you are), you need a high-paying job that you can get if you learn to compete fiercely, self-promote, make you a brand that you sell like a used car salesman. Oh, and watch your back because there is danger all around you! People are out to get you, to con you, to rob you, to rape you. Be careful when you interact with people....

All this makes for LOTS of static and confusion when people are interacting and trying to make real connections. I have noticed this isn't as much the case in Europe, though they are far from perfect and have their own set of issues like all humans do.

Now, there are many Americans who shun mainstream media or are strong enough to not let it dictate their lives. It just takes a bit more work to get to them and to change your way of thinking and perceiving so that you know when you have found them.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:18 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
You forgot the greatest type of woman, Texas women.
fat and stupid .................my favorite

Old 06-14-2011, 07:26 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
fat and stupid .................my favorite
Aren't you the same poster that claims women are not as smart as men? Your post does not prove your point.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
We could have an intelligent debate but I think that would be asking to much from you.
Well, you can call me stupid if it makes you feel better. Do you feel better about yourself now?

But honestly, I don't think there is much to debate. I could say that perhaps I'm one of the few women in America who is not materialistic and vapid - but I don't this is the case. Like the other posters - this country is simply too big and diverse to make any such claims. In my social circle, the women are not materialistic and vapid. We are all well educated, well rounded women in successful relationships with well educated, well rounded men. Who pays on a date has never really seemed important to me. I don't listen to pop music and could care less about the teeny boppers. I'm 35 and most of my friends are in their late 20's - mid 30's. I could care less about the latest styles, fads, fashions, etc. What I care about are my husband, my dog, my friends, my family, and my career.

And honestly - you made it clear from your first post - you are interested in seeing if there is a market for your business idea. It seems to me that this is the only reason you are even on C-D.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 PM

95 posts, read 160,886 times
Depends on the country as Europe is a continent made up of many culturally and linguistically different sovereign states.

I will say this: the vast majority of American women I encounter tend to be extremely immature, sickeningly prissy (as in fashion has to be about labels, not art or expression) and materialistic compared to the women in my country. I know all are not like that, but the majority are. The US is basically a society in which men are largely oppressed. Gender roles here are far more extreme than my home country. People seem to aspire to be stereotypes and fill pre-defined roles as to what a man should be and what a woman should be.

In popular culture, compare the US females to European females:

US:
Lady Gaga
Ke$ha
Katy Perry

Europe:
Lykke Li (amazing)
Adele

I think a Real Housewives show in Paris or London would be more watchable as you'd be more likely to find real women, not Botox barbies, "like oh my god".

Old 06-14-2011, 07:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Don't forget Amy Winehouse, BIRDS. I think she equals Ke$ha plus Katy--it's only fair.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 PM

95 posts, read 160,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Don't forget Amy Winehouse, BIRDS. I think she equals Ke$ha plus Katy--it's only fair.
As f****d up as Winehouse is, she has 1,000,000 times the talent of the garbage you just mentioned. It's a shame as she does make really great music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.