Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,090,169 times

Advertisements

I believe all that needs tweeking is this little word...

tact

- 4 dictionary results
tact

   [takt] Show IPA
–noun 1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.

2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste; discrimination.

3. touch or the sense of touch.

You might want to check out a female before meeting her, Like Tom Hanks did in You've Got Mail, but he didn't tell HER that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,589,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Oh really?

Contrary to your musings, women are not after pretty men like the guys are. That's just biology, there is ample proof to that in the real world.

So there is no need to downgrade a guy becoz he does not look handsome
You missed the point.

I happen to agree with you on the bold statement. However, what is a huge turn-off to women is being judged on their looks, especially by a guy who is no Brad Pitt himself. I agree with you that a woman might be willing to give a male "5" a chance where a man might not give a female "5" a chance, but that's not what is being debated here.

The sort of arrogance he's displaying in a profile will be a huge turn-off. He's puffing himself out there like he deserves "sexy" "beauty" "pretty face" when he's no standout in that department himself. Now, this isn't to say a pretty woman man not be interested. I agree that women are often more willing to compromise on looks than men. But he's not going to get her by making her laugh at the idea he thinks he's "all that" when he's really "not much."

Old 06-25-2011, 12:28 PM

92 posts, read 112,658 times
Default Exactly...

Quote:
Make it as arrogant as possible but in a funny way. In a pool of 1000 nice sounding wusses, yours will stand out. Women like the bad boys

I gave this tip to several guys and it worked for them.

Immediately, after reading this post, naysayers will swarm around me like flies. But these are women who have been made nice out of age and experience, the post 35 crowd of women brought down to earth after the wild 20s, the ones you aren't exactly looking for LMAO
But, I also agree with some others about the repetition of TRAVEL and ADVENTURE. your pics already indicate that, so you don't need so much reiteration....unless you were to photoshop them in some way to make them really funny or something....like photoshop in someone famous sitting by you in the snow sharing the bottle of vodka...maybe Yeltsin/Putin or Ukraine's fairly hot prime minister (just to fully take advantage of the stereotype). ..or someone on a show you like...or an oversized cricket...it doesn't matter, just do something silly. The more meaning it has to you, the more likely you'll interest someone that gets your sense of humor.

One of the reasons optiflex's examples were so funny to me is that they would work. If you have a sarcastic sense of humor, I'm getting very little of it until the end...when you talk about the binoculars. Give in a bit more to your natural personality instead of trying to describe yourself in some objective sense. I hate reading boring, general profiles. Your pic would interest me, because you are certainly attractive, but even the photos seem a bit strange: for instance, don't include a photo of you with a dog and you unless it is yours (i love dogs, and would actually seek someone that had a dog, so this would be misleading...you can mention you like animals at some other point, but it need not be right away and this generally is not a deal-breaker either way for most unless you had a dog and the girl was allergic or afraid of them, but since you don't, why scare off any potential women who may not be too keen on them yet?). Also, it looks as if one of the girls is an ex or something...we generally don't want to see pics of you with your ex. Even if she is just a friend, better to include in first photos someone who does not look like your partner.

Almost all the photos of you are you alone (except the ones with that woman), which would worry me as a potential dating partner. Don't you have any guy friends you do stuff with, family pics? Certainly with all the sporty things your into, you have a group of friends to do them with? I would much rather see 1 photo of your face up close (the white shirt) and one of your whole body (like the beach), but the rest should be you relaxing with friends, laughing or silly Christmases with your family growing up. Something that is more indicative of your nature. Not so posed and just you. Even if they are older photos, that can sometimes be a good thing.

If you have none, take the rest of them out. Just leave the close up of you and the one of you on the beach...and work on getting some others, whether with your family (whom you say you hang with) or friends, or whatever. Not too forced, of course, but take the camera along next time you are out and have someone take some photos, even if you just go to a BBQ at a friends.

Most of all, though, I think too many profiles try too hard to encompass the whole person and describe to many general things and not enough specifics. You do this as well, and have countering emphases. Are you more of a homebody or a traveler? Are you gone every weekend, or only 2 times a year? What is a regular day like for you? (and... be funny if you really are!)

When you talk about what type of woman you are looking for, I feel like it is also too general and really tending toward boring! I would rather see something along the lines of "be sexy, independent, and able to handle to handle an obnoxious ass like me!" that's it. Don't go on and on about the falling in love, being open, honest, blah, blah, blah. Nobody is going to think "wow, I lack integrity and honesty, even though I'm good looking, so I better not email him..." Most people want those things, so if they are something most people expect and desire, it really isn't necessary to include them. Basically, most phrases you see in other profiles you can safely remove from yours and you will likely get far more replies, IMHO. Being different is what will get you noticed. So, be yourself and go to the extreme. This will automatically narrow it down to the girls who are not necessarily looking for "love", per se. This may sound really general, but if you want to get specific, literally look at some other profiles and if you see a phrase or word in 7 out of 10 of them that appears on yours, replace it with something TRUE, but off the wall, instead. Instead of "I like drinking wine, beach walks, etc....." YAWN, I would rather see "I've just completed a preliminary study and at any given traffic light, 6 out of 20 people are digging nose gold." Or just some random observation about life, or something that interests you. "I've seen every Zombie movie since "____" . It does not matter whether or not it appeals to everyone, as long as it reflects who you are, it doesn't matter...

BTW...That photo in the white shirt is the best up-close one, but whatever is behind you looks really strange. Maybe you could get another one at some point to replace that with?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:19 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,836,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
And this is actually my neighbors American Bulldog, not mine. I do love pets though of course!
In that case, take it out. The reason I say that is that some women may be put off by dog pix and you don't want to do that if it's not even your dog. And some women may find you more attractive with a dog and envision going to a park with you and the dog and then find out it's not even yours. Neither scenario is a winner. And, it's a good pic, but not a great one--the others are better and don't include the messy background (except orange shirt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by I might View Post
BTW...That photo in the white shirt is the best up-close one, but whatever is behind you looks really strange. Maybe you could get another one at some point to replace that with?
I agree but I went back and looked at it again and wondering if you could photoshop that background out and make it some kind of color--it has too much white, which is a good color for you but you could use some contrast there, and not from the gear behind you. Well, play with it and see what you can do.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:19 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,482,675 times
I have a friend who's using one of those dating sites and one guy in particular had the most smug arrogant "i'm the shizzz" profile and when they met in person, he really couldn't back it up.

Be honest. That's the most important thing when making your profile.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:22 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,090,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I have a friend who's using one of those dating sites and one guy in particular had the most smug arrogant "i'm the shizzz" profile and when they met in person, he really couldn't back it up.

Be honest. That's the most important thing when making your profile.
Ohhh really? Then explain why your friend met "the shizzz" if she wasn't intrigued? If it didn't catch her eye? So she was totally turned off and contacted him anyway...hmmmmm. Isn't it more like it attracted her, but didn't work...because he wasn't as bad as she hoped???

Wouldn't it be great if we were honest about what attracts us, instead of telling others to be honest so we don't waste time with faux bad guys?

Last edited by optiflex; 06-25-2011 at 04:32 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,512,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Ohhh really? Then explain why your friend met "the shizzz" if she wasn't intrigued?
but he couldnt back it up. so he wasnt whom he said he was! that is what we have been trying to say all day. the fact that she was intrugued? oh well, maybe just curious.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,748,373 times
OK I did make a lot of changes that many of you suggested including swapping some pics as well as editing or removing the text.

papafox outdoors, camping, football, Patriots, Redsox

Thanks again for all the suggestions from everyone here!

On a separate note, I intentionally held back a lot of info about myself in my profile. Why? Because then we will have something to talk about when we meet up.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Ohhh really? Then explain why your friend met "the shizzz" if she wasn't intrigued? If it didn't catch her eye? So she was totally turned off and contacted him anyway...hmmmmm. Isn't it more like it attracted her, but didn't work...because he wasn't as bad as she hoped???

Wouldn't it be great if we were honest about what attracts us, instead of telling others to be honest so we don't waste time with faux bad guys?
I didn't say she wasn't intrigued.

I said when they met he couldn't back up half of the bravado he put in his profile.

Imagine reading a profile and think you're going to meet Indiana Jones (dude even had on a 1930's aviator jacket in the pic he took of himself - pic was only shoulders up... which should have been a red flag).
Turns out he was more like a "pear shaped" geeky Pee Wee Herman nerdy engineer savant.

That's why I said just be honest.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK I did make a lot of changes that many of you suggested including swapping some pics as well as editing or removing the text.

papafox outdoors, camping, football, Patriots, Redsox

Thanks again for all the suggestions from everyone here!

On a separate note, I intentionally held back a lot of info about myself in my profile. Why? Because then we will have something to talk about when we meet up.
I didn't see the original without the corrections, but this one looks pretty good.

Probably be a nice catch for my friend who's also been using the online thing. She's in California... so distance would be an issue.

You're on the right track.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships