Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 PM

175 posts, read 914,460 times

Advertisements

I love the show "Millionaire Matchmaker", but don't often hear about match making services (and especially for those of us who aren't millionaires! haha). Have you or anyone you know used a match maker and had success with it? I like the idea of having someone screen through potential matches for me, yet he/she isn't a friend (which can get tricky). I'm sure it's harder than Patty makes it look on the TV show, but I still think having a personal match maker is a cool concept! (p.s. I'm not talking about the "It's Just Lunch" scheme.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,439,063 times
I haven't seen the show, but I could probably be a good matchmaker, since I know a little bit of astrology. I would probably have to check all the aspects of the candidates.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:52 PM

223 posts, read 166,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penner View Post
I love the show "Millionaire Matchmaker", but don't often hear about match making services (and especially for those of us who aren't millionaires! haha). Have you or anyone you know used a match maker and had success with it? I like the idea of having someone screen through potential matches for me, yet he/she isn't a friend (which can get tricky). I'm sure it's harder than Patty makes it look on the TV show, but I still think having a personal match maker is a cool concept! (p.s. I'm not talking about the "It's Just Lunch" scheme.)
He/she says "Oh, can you fix me up with someone slim, young, very good looking and rich would be nice" and I'd be ready to kick them the **** out of my office but if he/she says "I'd like to meet someone who is serious about wanting to be married" and I know that he/she is good material.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,764,661 times
Yes, twice -- and it was a huge failure both times. (Once with online dating coach, the other time with a brick-and-mortar offline service.)

The end result: being out of about $7-8k total, with absolutely nothing concrete to show for it.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:03 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,792 times
Tried a couple of them. Won't waste the money again.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:48 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,830,701 times
This topic raised my curiosity. For those who have tried it, (specifically but not exclusively the two previous posters), how does the compensation work?

I would have thought that common sense would call for some reasonable flat fee for their basic time (a few hundred dollars?), and then the bulk of their fee if you get married within, say 2 years, to anyone to whom they introduce you.
Presumably they would keep an eye on the civil records to keep cheap-clients honest.

Or did they charge per introduction? If so, wouldn't there be some kind of Checks & Balances so that you are assured of being introduced to someone who meets the criteria you have discussed with the match maker, and another so that you could welsh on a good intro.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:32 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
This topic raised my curiosity. For those who have tried it, (specifically but not exclusively the two previous posters), how does the compensation work?

I would have thought that common sense would call for some reasonable flat fee for their basic time (a few hundred dollars?), and then the bulk of their fee if you get married within, say 2 years, to anyone to whom they introduce you.
Presumably they would keep an eye on the civil records to keep cheap-clients honest.

Or did they charge per introduction? If so, wouldn't there be some kind of Checks & Balances so that you are assured of being introduced to someone who meets the criteria you have discussed with the match maker, and another so that you could welsh on a good intro.
If they charged for each marriage or for each introduction, I would not have a problem with it. But, paying a monthly fee and no results just goes against the grain.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:36 AM

In my case, to answer the questions below:

1. Dating coach had a fixed monthly fee with various options, no contract and the ability to cancel at any time. Originally guaranteed a certain number of matches per month, but later withdrew that offer after the fact, several months into the subscription, while doing nothing real for the months prior to that (can you say, "bait and switch"?). At that point it became something like "I'll see what I can do, but no guarantees". That was the red flag that in retrospect, I should have heeded, and listened to my gut and terminated the service, but I had bonded personally with them, to the point where I considered them a close friend -- and they didn't hesitate to use that in their favor, in a manner running against my basic interests and needs. Ended up paying nearly $3k or so into the service for a little over 1.5 years, with nothing and no benefits at all, from the service. The one person the dating coach did briefly set me up with (very briefly) actually ended up being a psychotic, verbally- and emotionally-abusive sociopath, so I don't exactly count that as a service rendered, either.

2. The brick-and-mortar service had a fixed fee somewhere in the range of about $5k or so, with about 30 guaranteed perspective matches that they screened your for using the online dating service database. No introductory fee, but no guarantee that a succesful match would successfully happen, either. Also, an "all sales final" prospective (i.e., "buyer beware" scenario). No luck at all in this arena either -- and after a while, they stopped matching me, entirely (haven't had any matches for going on like 6-8 months now, despite their earlier guarantee). ETA: not really an issue currently, as I eventually found love, and entirely on my own initiative.

Both scenarios were a colossal failure. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have wasted my money, or even bothered with them. Alas...live and learn

Quote:

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-05-2011 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: Corrections / Adds

Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,830,701 times
Thanks for sharing, Knight,
And Way To Go on finding love on your own. Maybe you can consider the fees to have been a Good Value for your later Good Karma? <LOL>

Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, Knight,
And Way To Go on finding love on your own. Maybe you can consider the fees to have been a Good Value for your later Good Karma? <LOL>
Many thanks for the very kind compliments there Ed_RDNC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships