Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times

Advertisements

(on a message board discussing the guy in court because his ex lied about the paternity of "their" kids. He wants the alimony cancelled - he lost)

Woody Forrest from Out in the Sticks, writes: "NotaRedneck writes: '... Meanwhile, you have missed your best chances since during the years while you were working and sacrificing, others (usually wealthy or good looking layabouts) snagged the best prospects. Meanwhile, women say they want the characteristics you have ...'

I've made the same observation. I worked my @ss off to get my degree. I had a bit of a social life, but during my early & mid 20's most of my efforts went towards graduating and getting a good job.

So, about 20 years later I get to do a fair amount of business travel with my now very well paying job. Sometimes I'm in one place long enough to meet the locals. Some very attractive women have shown interest.

However most of them are divorced and have one or more kids in tow. The guy they were attracted to, when I was stuck in a library, has taken off. A nice, steady-eddy guy with a good paycheck has somehow become a lot more attractive to these women.

These situations take a bit of the sting out of missing the boat first time around, but I have no desire to get stuck taking care of the 'cool guy's' kids."

Thanks for the support. Women tend to think that this is a "fantasy". They are the ones who live in a fantasy world. They always maintain they have high "standards" but that's only for the average looking guys. Its all out the window as soon as one of the fantasy guys come along. When their "relationship" later crashes and burns, its because "all men are basically the same - users."

Women could get a lot out of these message boards. Men can be candid here whereas, in person, they will be reluctant to come clean, since it could easily compromise their situation with other men. I've had women complain - why didn't you tell me about so and so? Is it my job? Besides, I had one older and wiser women tell me, "They won't believe you anyway."

What I've seen would blow the mind of most women. The guys who can, treat single women as a smorgasbord - large selection and unlimited consumption. Then they complain that the quality was not too high!

In the past, young women could rely on those around (friends, family , social organizations) them to give them good advice about prospects, but now days, this has been replaced by "gut instinct" - easily overruled for the first a pretty face that comes along - and impressing one's peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
On some sociobiology sites I visit the guys are convinced that U.S culture is shifting towards de-facto polygamy. Women have become more picky and will only date alpha males, basically only good looking, tall, high status, high income males.

According to this theory women are sharing a shrinking pool of acceptable alpha males. The men in demand will bounce around from one woman to the next whle other men will be single and alone their entire lives. Husbands and boyfriends will cheat more than ever and women will no longer be jealous, they would rather share an alpha male with other women than have an exclusive relationship with a non-alpha.

I was starting to believe the theory was correct, that we are in a quasi-polygymous culture and women want it that way. But then I see on dating sites that women don't want "players" and many women even express hatred towards cheating men. This is so common and widespread that I am convinced that women don't want polygamy or anything close to it.

What I think happened is that women have indeed become more selective without realizing that it increases men's cheating. It's simple supply and demand.

Another ramification of women being more picky is the huge increase in single mothers. I know a woman with three children from three different fathers. She didn't care if any of the men would make loving and responsible husbands or fathers, but she insisted that the men were "hot". I believe that traditionally our culture put little or no emphasis on male appearene as a protective device to increase the chances that children were raised in a stable loving two-parent enviornment.

What are your thoughts on this subject?
I think most of us would rather be single and man-less rather than share a man with other b*tches or settle for someone we don't want.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have a good friend who is a single woman. Here's the rule she won't break. "I won't be a nurse or a purse." She dates and has a good time but she will never form a lasting relationship with anyone who is looking for a caretaker or a sugar momma. She's only interested in men who are her equal or better.
Smart, smart woman. Smart men are starting to raise their standards in this regard as well.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Anyone noticed that now that we've become ultra-pc about being attracted to people for 'who they are inside' instead of what they look like, how successful they are, etc, a lot of people have stopped trying?

Like almost every single one of my single friends? Men and women? And then they wonder why they can't get a date?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times

Old 01-12-2009, 02:34 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,095 times
There are a lot of women that would rather share a high status man than have their own loyal guy next door. But to be fair, a lot of men seek the same, all of us are chasing the same women for the most part. The alpha man has unlimited sex and the alpha woman has unlimited attention (help me out here ladies I'm sure theres more to this)

Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
for statistical purposes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Anyone noticed that now that we've become ultra-pc about being attracted to people for 'who they are inside' instead of what they look like, how successful they are, etc,
I don’t worship at the altar of PC.

Quote:
a lot of people have stopped trying?
Yeah, I am a card-carrying member of the Tired of the Game club for the time being.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Lol...no, sierra, I mean stopped trying to look good or be interesting or try new things. A very, "You'd just better like what you get" kind of attitude.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...no, sierra, I mean stopped trying to look good or be interesting or try new things. A very, "You'd just better like what you get" kind of attitude.
Oh, I guess I was distracted while reading. Nah, have no intention of joining this club! An old lover of mine said I'd look good as a lil' ol' lady, too, but peeking at Bridgette Bardot’s pics a few days ago was quite discouraging. If she looks so scary, what's the hope for the rest of us ... I'd like to go to the hot and fun place before I have to leave too disgusting of a corpse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships