Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should pay for dinner on the first date?
The Man 99 57.23%
The Female 7 4.05%
They should split 67 38.73%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:28 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,702,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Look at the votes so far. I don't see you disagreeing with those who say that a lady shouldn't pay, it is a man's job to pay, and so on. Women are quick to say "whoever asks pays" but tell me something, who does the MAJORITY of asking out? Can't deny the fact that it is men who do it and women who prefer things to go that way. Therefore, women saying that whoever asks pays is pretty much saying "men should pay".

Google "who pays on a date...dating tips...chivalry...first date..." and tell me what you find.
Yes I'm looking at the votes and nowhere does it say that the majority of WOMEN want men to always pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,286,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yep. Went a little nuts after my coffee, I think.
Nuts are yummy!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,450,948 times
Whoever asked who out, which more often than not is the guy.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM

30,385 posts, read 23,854,690 times
Quote:
A Romantic Evening ....
I had to laugh at that because that is how I am on a date unless I am the one who did the asking, (which means I expect to be paying).

If someone asks me out on a date, I go assuming I'm going to pay my share. It may not have been discussed, but I never assume that someone is going to pay for me.

Therefore, when we get the menus, sometimes I am overwhelmed by the prices and look for the cheapest thing I can find.

On some dates I have heard, "Get whatever you want", (to me that is a sign they are paying), and no matter WHAT that person just said, I still try to find the cheapest thing on the menu out of courtesy.

When they start asking me if I want to have an appetizer or drinks or something like that, I get a little anxious because in my head, I'm calculating the costs NOT because I'm looking to see, "Ok, let's see if he'll spend money on me", but because I'm thinking, "Oh God, this is getting expensive". I'm not used to spending money like that so I get uncomfortable and wonder what is proper protocol: Do I accept, do I not accept? What is proper and considerate?

The only time I feel free to order anything and everything, whatever I want, is when I'm doing the paying and if I'm doing the paying, I already know what the most expensive thing on that menu is just in case he wants to get it. That way I know I can afford it before I ask him out.

Anyway, I totally saw myself in your fictional character. I'm not sure what that says about me. LOL!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,350,512 times
Quote:
A Romantic Evening

Waiter: Welcome to Le Poisson. Right this way.
Susan: Wow, I have wanted to come here. I heard it's really good. Thank you for inviting me.
John: My pleasure. You look lovely tonight.
Susan: Thank you. You look very fine yourself.
Waiter: Your table. Your menus.
Susan: [Opens menu. Chokes a little.]
Susan: John, I think this might be a little out of my price range.
John: [I was really looking forward to eating here, but I appreciate her honesty] I was really looking forward to eating here, and it sounds like you were as well. I appreciate your honesty. I can get it
Susan: [I'm not really comfortable with that arrangement] I'm not really comfortable with that.
John: [It'd be a little weird, but we could get up and go someplace else]Do you want to go someplace else?
Susan: [it's a little strange to get up and walk out, but yes]. Won't that look weird?
John: [Yes. But who cares. We can go get a slice of pizza and walk around the boardwalk]. Yeah...but who cares. We can go to Ernesto's for a slice and head over to the boardwalk.
Susan: [That sounds nice]. That sounds nice
Waiter: Have you decided?
John: This is a bit embarrassing, but my wife and I are in a French class together, but we both thought that 'Poisson' meant 'poison' and thought that some hemlock would be easier than a divorce. Sorry for the confusion, but we're going to go.
Susan: [I can't believe he just said that]
Waiter: Uh...ok...

Susan & John: [Get up and go outside]
Susan: [Laughing: Grabs John's Arm] I can't believe you said that
Susan & John: [Have a great evening at the boardwalk]

Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,526,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
John: [I was really looking forward to eating here, but I appreciate her honesty] I was really looking forward to eating here, and it sounds like you were as well. I appreciate your honesty. I can get it
Susan: [I'm not really comfortable with that arrangement] I'm not really comfortable with that.
John: [It'd be a little weird, but we could get up and go someplace else]Do you want to go someplace else?
Susan: [it's a little strange to get up and walk out, but yes]. Won't that look weird?
John: [Yes. But who cares. We can go get a slice of pizza and walk around the boardwalk]. Yeah...but who cares. We can go to Ernesto's for a slice and head over to the boardwalk.
John: This is a bit embarrassing, but my wife and I are in a French class together, but we both thought that 'Poisson' meant 'poison' and thought that some hemlock would be easier than a divorce. Sorry for the confusion, but we're going to go.

I think the most likely ending for this scenario is:

[Rest of evening is awkward. After a polite few hours, John and Susan part ways and never go out again.]

Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,782,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I had to laugh at that because that is how I am on a date unless I am the one who did the asking, (which means I expect to be paying).

If someone asks me out on a date, I go assuming I'm going to pay my share. It may not have been discussed, but I never assume that someone is going to pay for me.

Therefore, when we get the menus, sometimes I am overwhelmed by the prices and look for the cheapest thing I can find.

On some dates I have heard, "Get whatever you want", (to me that is a sign they are paying), and no matter WHAT that person just said, I still try to find the cheapest thing on the menu out of courtesy.

When they start asking me if I want to have an appetizer or drinks or something like that, I get a little anxious because in my head, I'm calculating the costs NOT because I'm looking to see, "Ok, let's see if he'll spend money on me", but because I'm thinking, "Oh God, this is getting expensive". I'm not used to spending money like that so I get uncomfortable and wonder what is proper protocol: Do I accept, do I not accept? What is proper and considerate?

The only time I feel free to order anything and everything, whatever I want, is when I'm doing the paying and if I'm doing the paying, I already know what the most expensive thing on that menu is just in case he wants to get it. That way I know I can afford it before I ask him out.

Anyway, I totally saw myself in your fictional character. I'm not sure what that says about me. LOL!
I am the same way. I mean, I don't date anymore, but I do go to expensive restaurants with friends, and my parents, grandparents and in-laws frequently take me out when I see them. I get very uncomfortable too. I don't think a pricey restaurant is a good place for a date, but that's me. Maybe a special occasion but not when you're trying to get to know me.

Maybe I'm just a miser. LOL!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think the most likely ending for this scenario is:

[Rest of evening is awkward. After a polite few hours, John and Susan part ways and never go out again.]
A) Why is that most likely?

B) So? If John and Susan aren't a good match, they aren't a good match. Either of them pretending that they are something that they aren't is a waste of both of their time

Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,782,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

That is a charming twist to the story, but I don't like to make my guests say things like, "I can't afford this." It's embarrassing. Maybe John could have proposed pizza and a stroll to begin with? But that raises the question: If he was willing to spend $75 on just his own food and drink, will he buy Susan's pizza when the tab is only $10?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
That is a charming twist to the story, but I don't like to make my guests say things like, "I can't afford this." It's embarrassing.
That's why it is good to be honest and communicate, to avoid awkward situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships