Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,228,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Only if you're living beyond your means. Whatever happened to being happy with what you have and appreciating your family? All the new cars and big houses will NEVER replace something simple like your mother making you cookies after school or your dad playing baseball with you. Never. I'm sorry you think that money is more important than having a good family life, but I surely don't. Plus, I MAKE A LOT OF MONEY. I want something specific so I went out of my way to assure that any woman I'd marry would be able to stay home and not worry about finances.
Case in point. Most people do not make a lot of money. Most people do not make mid-high six figures. The fact that you assume that your situation can be extrapolated to the masses means you're out of touch. It also means that you fibbed on your profile about your occupation, so who knows how much of your post can be taken at face value.

Quote:
What you believe and what's reality are obviously at odds, then. As more women start working jobs historically held by men, divorces has steadily increased. You can certainly say this is correlation, and not causation, but regardless, it's not unrelated.
What jobs historically held by men? I'm curious.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM

819 posts, read 1,131,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Um I did say "when kids are in school", women should be working, can't you read? Why would a woman not work if kids are old enough to be in school ?
Here's a stupid, simple example. Kid is in school, gets sick one day. What happens? Well, you either pay a babysitter to watch the kid at home, maybe you have a grandmother or something do it, or someone takes off work. It's a pain in the ass to handle. Or, mom is already there, picks up the kid from school, makes him chicken soup. What about crap like taking a kid to baseball practice or if school lets out early one day?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,701,326 times
Quote:
Here's a stupid, simple example. Kid is in school, gets sick one day. What happens? Well, you either pay a babysitter to watch the kid at home, maybe you have a grandmother or something do it, or someone takes off work. It's a pain in the ass to handle. Or, mom is already there, picks up the kid from school, makes him chicken soup. What about crap like taking a kid to baseball practice or if school lets out early one day?
Where's the dad in all of this? Is he just the sperm donor?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Case in point. Most people do not make a lot of money. Most people do not make mid-high six figures. The fact that you assume that your situation can be extrapolated to the masses means you're out of touch. It also means that you fibbed on your profile about your occupation, so who knows how much of your post can be taken at face value.

I fibbed about this..? News to me. Guess I should tell the university I won't be teaching in the Fall.

Quote:
What jobs historically held by men? I'm curious.
Take your pick...

Quote:
No, because I live in my mom's basement, as Djuna pointed out. I don't have a real job or anything of the sort. Gotta get back to playing videogames and chat up the girls on World of Warcraft! I've been talking to this one in Canada for a few weeks, I think I might score!
I'm sure there's good reason you won't answer. You'd get picked a part in two seconds. You know it. I know it. Everybody reading this knows it. And what does it mean that you fib about your occupation? You know exactly what it means.

9,408 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Staying at home and being with your children while they are young is a noble and worthy goal. Staying at home and playing housewife when you have no kids, or grown-up kids, is simply laziness, lack of ambition and truly a remnant of the 1960s.
For the people with obvious issues with reading comprehension, this is what I stated originally.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Where's the dad in all of this? Is he just the sperm donor?
At work, obviously. Working. You know, making money so his kids can get new shoes and his wife can have a decent vehicle to drive.

You people make it sound like what I'm saying is completely alien to you. God bless mass media for warping your minds.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM

977 posts, read 1,817,564 times
Quote:
At work, obviously. Working. You know, making money so his kids can get new shoes and his wife can have a decent vehicle to drive.
Hope you never complain about women being goldiggers lol.

Listen, you are out of touch with reality. Reality is median family income is 50K or something like that. It's not easy to raise a family of 4 on that kind of income even in lower COL areas. So what happens if the main breadwinner only makes 40K a year?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

I fibbed about this..? News to me. Guess I should tell the university I won't be teaching in the Fall.
Professors do not earn mid-six figures unless they're generating research. And you are no scientist making bank role for your uni. Further, given that you're not a scientist you would have to be in the humanities, and I just can't buy that either. I don't buy that you're formally educated at all to be honest, but maybe I'm wrong. What's your field of expertise? Now, hurry up and go google it.

Quote:
Take your pick...
I asked you the question. Go ahead.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 PM

977 posts, read 1,817,564 times
Quote:
That's great and all, but 99% of the time, that doesn't happen. So what is the wife doing 99% of the time? Not nearly as much as a man working 40+ hours a week. Not bashing on women, but that is just unfair to the man to bust his ass like that and the woman is not doing that much since the kids are in school.

If they're babies and not in school, then yeah, it's cool for her to stay at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships