Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:08 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,509,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I try avoiding the whole concurrent dating thing. People talk here like it's the progressive thing but to me that sounds like striking out twice with one swing. If somebody told me "yeah I'm dating another dude concurrently" I'd honestly lose interest right away. I don't know, playing the Plan B guy doesn't get me stiff if you know what I mean, I'm such an anachronistic selfish man pig with my ways and all...
There are two very different ideas on this topic, and few people in between (as that would put them in one or the other "camps" automatically!).

My view is that of maximizing the odds of finding the RIGHT person. I would usually date several women at once, but almost always knew within a few dates if they were real prospects - if not, I wouldn't keep dating them. On the other hand, I'd also usually know fairly soon if they were a serious prospect, and ask if they wanted to be exclusive. I usually assume women are dating other men, and will soon decide who is the best match for them. I don't look at it as competition, I don't see it as being plan B (in her mind, I might well be numero uno, but she's taking it slow to be sure) - I see it as making the best mutual choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 01:26 PM

13,634 posts, read 21,457,158 times
It's been a long time since I had multiple women on a dating thing. I'd rather have one at a time and if it ends then move on to another rather than juggle because personally I don't have the time to give to going out on dates several times a week. The one girl is going to compete with my guitar rather than another girl.

But if I were I wouldn't say anything and if I were backed against a wall to answer it I'd answer it in a sly way maybe considered a half lie.

The fact is for me the only time I would not care if she was seeing other men is if I didn't care or like her much and why would I be dating her if I didn't?

And lets not get confused with dating and dating because if I have been dating a girl for over a month then there is more going on then I just taking her to dinner and a good night kiss if you know what I mean.

If a girl brought up that subject to me and made it clear she is dating other guys my mind is going vision her making out with another guy and then I am going to be made to wonder if she likes him more than me and think that she thinks I have to compete and I don't dig that situation.

I know there has been discussion that women love competition with each other and there is some truth to that but if women think men like competing for her attention then in my case you are dead wrong and are likely to loose me that way. Telling me you have another guy or guys you date isn't going to make me try harder to win you over them, it is going to tell me you like attention and pitting guys against each other.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:21 PM

3,769 posts, read 6,771,224 times
You could tell her that you aren't looking for multiple girlfriends, but sometimes there is some overlap between meeting a few women and forming a long term relationship.

I can see how this could sometimes be difficult to avoid if you are really putting yourself out there. Say you are talking to girl A, B and C. You meet girl A and then have plans to see her again in a week. That would have a pretty good chance that it would fizzle out, but it's too early to say. Then a couple days later you meet girl B. No second date with girl B. Then the next day you meet girl C and you plan for a second date. So then a couple weeks later you are dating 2 women that you hardly know. At some point you end up with one of them or neither.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,350,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
and one of them (the one that you're seriously interested in) asks "Are you seeing other people?" Would you answer that question honestly? Or rather, how would you answer that?
I don't understand why if you know that you're seriously interested in one in particular...you're still dating several women?....I think I would just answer her question with another question..."I'd like to be exclusive with you.....can we be??"

Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 PM

3,769 posts, read 6,771,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't understand why if you know that you're seriously interested in one in particular...you're still dating several women?....I think I would just answer her question with another question..."I'd like to be exclusive with you.....can we be??"
i was wondering the same thing. dating several women? i can see 2 or 3 for a short time, but how does one juggle several women? just one at a time gives me enough trouble.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,559,588 times
When I get there, I'll let you know.

With dating as confusing as it is right now, I'd have to know I was dating multiple women.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,350,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
When I get there, I'll let you know.

With dating as confusing as it is right now, I'd have to know I was dating multiple women.
Maybe it wouldn't be so confusing if you tried dating just one

Old 07-17-2011, 11:15 PM

14,585 posts, read 23,157,581 times
Be honest. Her response is a good litmus test.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,559,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe it wouldn't be so confusing if you tried dating just one

I see you have jokes.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,509,399 times
I dated 3 women this past Saturday. A lady friend invited me to go dancing - and brought 2 of her friends. They all knew about each other, so I was in the clear on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships