Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 AM

193 posts, read 450,687 times

Advertisements

I have a situation at work. There's this guy who works down the hall from me. He is rumored to have mental health issues. This in itself is not alarming as life can be hard and people struggle. He had a bad childhood and married a horrid woman who continues to torture him using their kids. I am sympathetic but the thing is that he has anger issues that are apparent at times. One time, he was venting about killing another colleague of his, who was making him angry. The person he was venting to became worried about a workplace violence situation.

Supposedly when he is medicated, he seems calm. But he says things that just don't make sense to me or at least leave me baffled at how to respond. He is highly educated and has a Harvard degree. So, maybe he operates on such a higher plane that I just don't get. In any case, I normally just keep a polite distance when I come across him, at times trying to pretend I don't see him.

Well, one day, we were riding the elevator together and I let my guard down and made polite conversation. He asked me if I've ever tried some eating place. I said no politely and tried to get back to my office.

Last week, he asked me to go to lunch with him at this restaurant. I was like a deer caught in headlights and he said that he would stop by my office one day and we could go. I don't want to go to lunch with this guy and am a little angry at myself for letting my guard down and being polite and now being in this situation.

How do I politely tell him that I am not interested in a firm but polite way, knowing the background with his anger issues?

P.S. I let my guard after reading C-D threads about men being irritated that many women they encounter act cold and not friendly, and them wondering what is the harm in just saying hello and making polite conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,206,025 times
You said: He is rumored to have mental health issues.

Your user name: CocoTheNut

Now I am going nuts......I'm confused.

Sounds like a good match to me.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:25 AM

142 posts, read 187,064 times
don't be gentle and polite, be firm and assertive. tell him.... i never lunch alone with any of the men from work, as i don't want the rumors to start, you know how the grapevine is around this place, everybody talks. but maybe we could get a group of people together for lunch sometime.

then smile politely and excuse yourself, you have to make a call, have to drop off some paperwork to a colleague etc. if he tries to convince you otherwise, or asks you again, stop him and say, i appreciate the invite, but i'm firm on that policy, i'm happy to have lunch in a group, but please don't ask me again to have lunch alone with you.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,588,393 times
Cinnabar's suggestion is a good one. Or if you're not confident enough to be direct, just always be "too busy today" when he comes by. But I think Cinnabar's suggestion might be best because it will nip the idea in the bud instead of dragging it out. Dating in the workplace is a risky idea anyway, and with this guy, it sounds like you would be cartwheeling over ground laced with landmines. I would not give him the slightest bit of encouragement or send any signals that could be misconstrued.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,257,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabar View Post
don't be gentle and polite, be firm and assertive. tell him.... i never lunch alone with any of the men from work, as i don't want the rumors to start, you know how the grapevine is around this place, everybody talks. but maybe we could get a group of people together for lunch sometime.
That's what I'd suggest, too, but it has to be true...

Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,287,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabar View Post

then smile politely and excuse yourself, you have to make a call, have to drop off some paperwork to a colleague etc. if he tries to convince you otherwise, or asks you again, stop him and say, i appreciate the invite, but i'm firm on that policy, i'm happy to have lunch in a group, but please don't ask me again to have lunch alone with you.

I like this. Also, I second what Sierra says: It does have to be true.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 AM

52,384 posts, read 52,844,834 times
I wonder as a side note, how many women feel like that have to be sorta cool to men, just avoid getting hit on.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,257,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wonder as a side note, how many women feel like that have to be sorta cool to men, just avoid getting hit on.
Like put a burka on...? It's not like you don't want to be hit on at all! You don't want to be hit on by SOME! Major difference, ya know...

Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 AM

93 posts, read 212,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's what I'd suggest, too, but it has to be true...
I totally agree.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:49 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,435,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
A LOT of women, I suspect. Actually I don't know what to say. I have had situations where just saying I am not interested makes a guy very angry.

Like my not being interested is some sort of personal insult. If he's already an angry and unbalanced person, and has a superiority complex (Harvard LOL esp if his family has money, I can imagine the ego).

I think the OP should go to lunch and give him the following BS in private:
You're a great guy and I enjoy our current working relationship, but I think it is a bad idea to date a coworker. I just don't think it can work out and I don't want to jeopardize our relationship at work.

Anything to make him back off while giving an excuse that is NOT him. Hopefully he'll leave you alone after this. Remember to be FIRM about the not wanting to date people at work.

Good luck, girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships