Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 AM

112 posts, read 255,767 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever converted to a different religion for a relationship? If so, what was your experience like with family, friends, etc. Did it work out in the end?

Reason I ask is because I have been talking to a Muslim woman for a couple years. We met about 5 years ago and started talking again about 2 years ago. She's married but she hates her husband. We started out just talking as friends but eventually grew relatively close. Close to the point where there may be feelings on both sides. Now I am not really a religious person. I'm a Catholic by upbringing but that's the extent of it. She is a practicing Muslim. In order for me to be with her I would have to convert AND practice. Now normally I would have no problem converting and calling myself whatever I had to to make this work but the practicing part is what's holding me back. It's something I'm working on. I'm trying to reevaluate my religious beliefs to see if it's possible. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone here has had the same experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,990 times
Converting religions can work if the person converting isn't too attached to their previous religion (which it sounds like you aren't) and they don't have qualms about fully joining the new religion (which it sounds like you do.)

Honestly, the bigger concern for me would be that your potential GF has no qualms about getting close to you and causing an issue in her marriage. I'd worry that same level of faithfulness would translate into any relationship you formed.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong bundy View Post
Has anyone here ever converted to a different religion for a relationship? If so, what was your experience like with family, friends, etc. Did it work out in the end?

Reason I ask is because I have been talking to a Muslim woman for a couple years. We met about 5 years ago and started talking again about 2 years ago. She's married but she hates her husband. We started out just talking as friends but eventually grew relatively close. Close to the point where there may be feelings on both sides. Now I am not really a religious person. I'm a Catholic by upbringing but that's the extent of it. She is a practicing Muslim. In order for me to be with her I would have to convert AND practice. Now normally I would have no problem converting and calling myself whatever I had to to make this work but the practicing part is what's holding me back. It's something I'm working on. I'm trying to reevaluate my religious beliefs to see if it's possible. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone here has had the same experience?
Im thinking you better get religious very soon if you are planning on getting involved with another man's wife. You could very well meet your maker quite soon.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 07-21-2011 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 07:40 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,476,314 times
It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen - or actually in progress in slow motion. h886 makes the same point that came to my mind.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,258,790 times
I wouldn't get involved until her divorce is finalized. Regarding religions, personally, I would not change my belief system since that is something dear to me. Anyone who wants to be involved with me would know that firsthand. My boyfriend and I are of different faiths but he is not active in his at all and doesn't even believe in it.

I have heard of Muslim women converting to Christianity so I am not sure why she is saying she cannot convert because I don't find that to be true.

One thing you might want to consider would be raising children if you ever get married. I have already had that discussion with my boyfriend and it's a conversation worth having.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 AM

330 posts, read 599,474 times
Its wrong to change your religion because of a relationship. You should change your religion because you actually BELIEVE in the other religion. If she truly loves you then she will accept your religion as it is. In fact in all honesty that is good test. Simply tell her that you love her and want to be with her, but you are not fake, and will not become a muslim. Then see if she loves you more or her religion more.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
I was thinking the same as others...you are messing around with a married lady. What in the world does religion have to do with this relationship.

Plus...how is it she is practicing her religion when she is messing around behind her husband's back?

Just something to think about.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,930,290 times
Thinking this might be one for the religious forum.

Religion is a matter of faith and belief.
You can't "become a muslim" because you've met a woman and want to be with her.

You have to believe. Otherwise it's pointless.
You'd only be pretending.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Seriously?

Your religious beliefs aren't just set of ideas you carry in your head. They are pretty much who you are and how you interact with the world, whether you realize it or not. The values are present in you even if you don't attend mass every Sunday.

For you to change your religious beliefs, it has to be because your current system of thought no longer works for you, not because some woman bats her eyes your way. And it's not as if you're changing from being Catholic to being Episcopalian or Lutheran or even Baptist. It is a radical, 180-degree turn in faith. Unless you are truly, emotionally prepared to do that in an immersive way--which I'm guessing you are decidedly not--then don't do it. You'll wind up hating her for it.

As a matter of fact, put the shoe on the other foot. Would she be willing to convert for you? If not, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Meanwhile, on a practical side, do you really think she'd leave her husband? And are you willing to deal with the consequences if she does?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Seriously?

Your religious beliefs aren't just set of ideas you carry in your head. They are pretty much who you are and how you interact with the world, whether you realize it or not. The values are present in you even if you don't attend mass every Sunday.

For you to change your religious beliefs, it has to be because your current system of thought no longer works for you, not because some woman bats her eyes your way. And it's not as if you're changing from being Catholic to being Episcopalian or Lutheran or even Baptist. It is a radical, 180-degree turn in faith. Unless you are truly, emotionally prepared to do that in an immersive way--which I'm guessing you are decidedly not--then don't do it. You'll wind up hating her for it.

As a matter of fact, put the shoe on the other foot. Would she be willing to convert for you? If not, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Meanwhile, on a practical side, do you really think she'd leave her husband? And are you willing to deal with the consequences if she does?
What he said ^.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships