Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever been "picked up" by a stranger on the street?
Yes, and it went well 10 26.32%
Yes, and it went badly 5 13.16%
I've been asked out by a complete stranger but I said no 19 50.00%
I've never been asked out by a complete stranger 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,046,217 times

Advertisements

If I intend on picking up a woman off the streets I'm bringing a club so they CAN'T say no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,992,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
If I intend on picking up a woman off the streets I'm bringing a club so they CAN'T say no
What if she tasers your butt? lmao.....hmmmm?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
What if she tasers your butt? lmao.....hmmmm?
That's just kinky.

After I got up from the experienced of getting shocked, I'd probably go ahead and hit on her, then if she says no I'll just hit her with the club.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 PM

946 posts, read 2,922,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That makes me wonder whether the "art" of street pick-ups is far more alive and well in Europe than in the US, because of the stronger emphasis on street-level living. Would you say that where you were was more like an American Main Street from 1948, with stores, shops and people buzzing around, rather than the segregated and separated super-boxes that we call "shopping" now?

And if so, is there now a specific set of rules to follow for mall pick-ups?

I believe that interacting with people in the flesh every day gives one a certain fluidity with social intercourse. Interacting with them electronically blunts that ability. If you are more comfortable among people in general, you'll have an easier time being picked-up on the street.

Just a theory ...
It varies within each country in Europe. Italian men, for example, will be different from Swedish men, and so on. As a side note, you'll find that the closer to the Mediterranean you are, the more forward men will be. But yes, while I was in Europe I got approached on the street a lot more than I do here. It mostly has to do with their culture, the social norms in that country, and the way they are brought up. Men there aren't afraid to approach women- yes, some of them can be very annoying, but in general, I love that they don't have any hang ups like most men here do. They aren't afraid to put themselves out there, even when the odds are against them.
I do think your theory is correct also. The more sociable you are, the more likely you'll be to interact with strangers and be "picked up".

Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
It varies within each country in Europe. Italian men, for example, will be different from Swedish men, and so on. As a side note, you'll find that the closer to the Mediterranean you are, the more forward men will be. But yes, while I was in Europe I got approached on the street a lot more than I do here. It mostly has to do with their culture, the social norms in that country, and the way they are brought up. Men there aren't afraid to approach women- yes, some of them can be very annoying, but in general, I love that they don't have any hang ups like most men here do. They aren't afraid to put themselves out there, even when the odds are against them.
I do think your theory is correct also. The more sociable you are, the more likely you'll be to interact with strangers and be "picked up".
Or we're just not willing to get labeled as a creep and have women screaming harassment on us all the time.

That's not a good thing to say if you actually want to have a little of that culture in men in this country.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Or we're just not willing to get labeled as a creep and have women screaming harassment on us all the time.

That's not a good thing to say if you actually want to have a little of that culture in men in this country.
Yes, even the women here are different. I agree with you in that some women ruin it for all of us when they label a guy as creepy or sexually harassing her when all he does is approach her with the intention of getting to know her. It's no wonder why some men are deathly afraid of approaching a girl. I'm not like that though. I won't call someone creepy just because I'm not attracted to him. I'll simply let him know I'm not interested. And I don't understand your second sentence lol.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Yes, even the women here are different. I agree with you in that some women ruin it for all of us when they label a guy as creepy or sexually harassing her when all he does is approach her with the intention of getting to know her. It's no wonder why some men are deathly afraid of approaching a girl. I'm not like that though. I won't call someone creepy just because I'm not attracted to him. I'll simply let him know I'm not interested. And I don't understand your second sentence lol.
Well, the thing is, is men can't read minds. They don't know how crazy some women can get if they simply approach her and open a window of conversation. We will simply not approach anyone in an open setting like the streets because we do not want that negative persona wrongfully forged onto us.

The 2nd sentence? was just a reinforcement of the first sentence. If you truly want us to approach you on the streets or somewhere else that's similarly open, you shouldn't be so quick to pull the harassment card.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Well, the thing is, is men can't read minds. They don't know how crazy some women can get if they simply approach her and open a window of conversation. We will simply not approach anyone in an open setting like the streets because we do not want that negative persona wrongfully forged onto us.

The 2nd sentence? was just a reinforcement of the first sentence. If you truly want us to approach you on the streets or somewhere else that's similarly open, you shouldn't be so quick to pull the harassment card.
I guess you'll either take the chance and risk the slight chance of being verbally attacked, or not bother at all. Your call. I'd be curious to know how many times a guy has actually been attacked for approaching a girl though, I do think some guys exaggerate.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 PM

90 posts, read 295,025 times
Hmm... I live in Paris and I get asked out by random guys on the street a lot more there than I do in the US, so that's true. Never said yes to any of them though, because they've always been at least 10-15 years older than me (I'm in my early 20s) and I'm not into older men. Well, and I don't really like getting asked out solely on the basis of a guy thinking I'm hot, which is what random street pick ups are. I'd at least like to have had a conversation with the guy before he asks for my number.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 PM

591 posts, read 868,414 times
Guy, my two cents.

OK, I met my current gf this way: Me trying to get somewhere on business, my car broke down, I take the bus to keep my appointment. She: takes the bus out of anti-big-oil convicitions (has a car though). We talked while riding to my destination, she seemed nice, so I asked for her phone number/email. We exchanged them, went out as friends for 6 months, then became bf/gf. I swear this is how I met most of my gf's in my life, never thru friends or family (worst blind dates from hell those were!) or from work.

And BTW I am no player, I have gone thru the *born-again-virgin* thing I guarantee. I never go hitting on women in bars or use any of the usual PUA "tricks". If I don't feel rapport within two sentences, I say "bye!".

Thanks,
Doctor Blues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships