Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:43 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,052 times

Advertisements

Here is something that just blows my mind: Non-retired-stay-home spouses with no jobs, not going to school and no children. What do these people do? Many of my Co worker's wives fall in this category and most are verbal about how they in many ways resent them for not doing anything but spending their hard earned money.

I think this is wrong in many levels. It creates an unbalanced relationship that is open for many conflicts. The mismatch of energy levels, possibility of costly divorce for the working spouse, and the fact of knowing that the person is just not doing much with his/her life should be of gray concern for people in this situation.

If you are in this situation, how do you handle it?
If you are not, what do you think about the stay home spouce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,089 times
I think that how couples structure their marriages is non of your or anyone else's business.

If one of the partners has a problem with the set up, THEN it's a problem. Otherwise - who cares! As long as everyone feels fulfilled then that's what matters.

I wonder how many of these whinging men had wives with successful careers who agreed to move and give up their jobs for their husband's benefit?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
I have no real problem with it, if, the woman is self sufficent, and that generally does not happen in that type of relationship. The man is the controller, and, the woman is not in control of anything.

Really doesn't matter until the hubby decides to leave her for another woman or...dies. Then we have women who have no clue as to how manage their lives or take care of themselves.

This mentally level goes back to the bible and the stone age, the man slayed the dragons and provided for the woman.

Now, we must consider the woman who is either physically or mentally unable to work, puts a whole new spin on things.

The bottom line to me, is, I don't care as long as it does not affect me.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Why is this your business? Do you actually devote thought to it? What about a spouse who devotes a lot of time to charities? Or her hobbies? Or the woman I know who wrote three different novels in five years, finally getting one published. She kept her house spotless, cooked dinner, and was a good partner in the marriage.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:04 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I think that how couples structure their marriages is non of your or anyone else's business.

If one of the partners has a problem with the set up, THEN it's a problem. Otherwise - who cares! As long as everyone feels fulfilled then that's what matters.

I wonder how many of these whinging men had wives with successful careers who agreed to move and give up their jobs for their husband's benefit?
........and let's add in there may not be enough income to go to school.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Man, where do I sign up? I get to do what I want, not have a bunch of kids to tend to AND sleep in every day? Perfect!

Of course, I wouldn't do nothing. I'd probably go to school or I'd be volunteering somewhere or I'd be pursuing something I'm passionate about or working on a hobby...

Doing nothing sounds great for about...oh, maybe a few months, (seriously, I'm exhausted, tired, fatigued!!!), but after that, what is there to do but watch mindless television or play FarmVille all day long.

I can't imagine going through life not doing anything but I sure have daydreamed about not having to work!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Man, where do I sign up? I get to do what I want, not have a bunch of kids to tend to AND sleep in every day? Perfect!

Of course, I wouldn't do nothing. I'd probably go to school or I'd be volunteering somewhere or I'd be pursuing something I'm passionate about or working on a hobby...

Doing nothing sounds great for about...oh, maybe a few months, (seriously, I'm exhausted, tired, fatigued!!!), but after that, what is there to do but watch mindless television or play FarmVille all day long.

I can't imagine going through life not doing anything but I sure have daydreamed about not having to work!
Agreed TW, I was unemployed for a year and would occupy myself around the house with projects and stuff. I felt too guilty to pursue any hobbies thinking it would upset the wife if it appeared I was having 'fun' being unemployed.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:13 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post

Word!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
The Non-Workin-No-Children Stay Home Spouse!

Yes, please. Where do I sign up?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:25 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,336 times
I couldn't do that. I'd feel lazy. I'd rather be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships