Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Conflict seems to be the norm in human relationships, for many different reasons. Why is it so hard for people to just get along? How many of you (be honest) generally get along with friends, family.etc without major fighting breaking out? I don't mean shying away from dealing with the situation, but just creating more needless friction which I see/hear about all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
I do! The people who have relationship problems are usually quite vociferous about it both on a day to day basis and absolutely on relationship forums. The vast number of those who get along very nicely with family and friends just get on with it quietly. When did you last see a forum thread entitled something along the lines of, "My spouse is the best, I love my family and get along very well with most of them most of the time and I have a nice circle of friends whose company I truly enjoy!"? No, conflict and "major fighting" aren't the "norm" at all although I can well understand why some might think so.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:19 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,122,326 times
Nobody wants to hear about the good, they want to hear about warfare because that's what gets attention. Honestly, some people think that conflict is healthy in a relationship which I think is ridiculous because if you have to have fights in a relationship, that says a lot about your communication skills. My family and friends and I get along very well. We don't do all that drama foolishness. Any drama that tries to rear its ugly head, I or any of them squash it right then and there. It's about knowing what lines not to cross.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
nicely put Northside904!...and true!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:17 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
For the most part my relationships with family and friends are smooth sailing. I can't recall the last time I had an issue.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:17 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
I've gotten ridiculed on C-D for talking about my happy marriage! I can count the number of fights I've had with my closest friends on one hand. My family and I get along great. My husband and I fight - but not often - and we always know we'll be okay so it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
I actually think lots of conflict is normal. We're an intensely social species and we expect the intensity specifically of courtship to continue after we've pair-bonded, which I don't believe most pair-bonding animals do. We are very in each other's faces first of all, and we subconsciously require that the mating interactions go on perfectly second of all.

In addition, our pre-sex rituals can last hours...or DAYS. Or even weeks. (Technically.) Our pre-sex rituals include romance and talk and blah blah. Not to say other animals don't engage in elaborate mating rituals that involve communication and can last for days. They do. But afterward, generally they're either "in" for life without having to repeat every step of the ritual every time, or they disappear from the opposite sex until next spring. ("Whew. Glad THAT'S over.")

And in such a situation in the animal kingdom, the female does not expect the attention to go on and on post-mating, and the male does not expect the female to continue to be as enthusiastically "receptive" any time they want the female to be. Everyone takes a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG break afterward. Sometimes a year-long break! Humans? We're receptive any day of any month all year as we might be able to become pregnant on any given month, so unlike some other animals, we can (and expect to) try, try again...with allllllllllll that same physical and emotional intensity.

It's a lot to keep up with, folks! From both sides.

I DO think all this intensity -- both emotionally and physically -- is,for humans, a recipe for a lot of conflict. Eh. That's humanity for ya! We are none of us perfect. And this is our particular M.O. It's rife with struggle because:

1. There's never enough time for everybody to be romantic, engaging and give shows of virility/fertility
2. Therefore...somebody always ends up being gypped
3. ...Which leads to: misunderstandings from both sides
4. ...With a side order of "Maybe this is just how it's supposed to be...but then again, that's not what Hollywood says."
5. ...Which then leads to someone gypping the other person physically and/or emotionally
6. Which translates to issues all over the place as, like humans do, we tap-dance around the real issue and let the anger spill out into other issues
7. ...Which affects the sex life...
8. Lather, rinse, repeat

I'm not being cynical. I think misunderstandings like this are pretty much unavoidable in a species like ours that is so on top of one another and yet requires such social complexities, even between just two pair-bonded people. There are up sides to this type of mating too, so I'm not saying it's all bad. It definitely isn't. Every animal has both "good" and "bad" to its mating style. But...I believe our very way of socializing and of mating is what causes conflict. It isn't necessarily insurmountable...as many couples have shown over and over.

Last edited by JerZ; 08-21-2011 at 07:39 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
I think conflict is normal, but I get along with my friends and family just fine. No drama. Only small problems here and there but it is usually resolved or forgotten along the way. These small problems are mostly due to miscommunication. It happens.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:39 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I think conflict is normal, but I get along with my friends and family just fine. No drama. Only small problems here and there but it is usually resolved or forgotten along the way. These small problems are mostly due to miscommunication. It happens.
I can literally count the MAJOR fights I've had with family and friends on one hand. And I can only think of one that really is a major thing. The other 3 or 4 are mostly "You didn't invite me on vacation and I'm really mad about it" type things.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Conflict seems to be the norm in human relationships, for many different reasons. Why is it so hard for people to just get along? How many of you (be honest) generally get along with friends, family.etc without major fighting breaking out? I don't mean shying away from dealing with the situation, but just creating more needless friction which I see/hear about all the time.
It's not the "norm". It's the norm with certain people.

Forums like this are brimming with relationship conflicts, and usually a handful of "frequent flyers" who are always on the brink of disaster with every person that they meet. Or at least that's how it's portrayed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships