Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 02:58 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,704,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

It may be wishful thinking, but, I am hoping that the reason marriages are down (if the statistics are actually accurate) ... is that people today are taking a more serious, committed approach to marriage.
..... Unfortunately, with the increasingly liberal mindset of our society, they may simply be concluding "who needs marriage ... we can have all the benefits without it." (For example, in a major segment of our society, the illigitimate birth rate is at an astonishing 70%).
True more people are having kids without getting married. But children born to unwed mothers face numerous disadvantages growing up and other negative factors (poverty, lack of education, crime, etc).

Old 08-26-2011, 03:09 PM

550 posts, read 606,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Were your Parents 'archaic' by getting married then ?! Whenever a foundation such as Marriage gets destroyed in favor of immorality because people are only thinking about themselves, it weakens the fabric of society . These arent 'my views' ... they are the time honored , legal and ethical system for civility and wellbeing of a Nation ; people who go against that are really hurting themselves but are blinded by their actions. I used to Shackup a long time ago, so i know the titilizing lure it is playing house , but it should be outlawed for the preservation of America. The Country is already in bad enough shape from other competing immorality and corruption.
Being good parents has nothing to do with being married,.......NOTHING. My father is and was an old school, emotionally handicapped man. My parents fought all the time and they still bicker. It's probably because they're married that they go back and forth.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,788,882 times
Two sides to the marriage process.

You want to marry the "Love of your life"--go to your local church, have a ceremony and be blessed by the pastor, priest or whatever. No legal ties.

Then if you really want to put your financial security at risk, go to your local courthouse and get that little legal piece of paper, which is nothing but a financial agreement.

If you decide to leave your "spouse" and do not have that little piece of paper, you are free and clear to do so, unless you were dumb enough to comingle your funds and your debt. The custody and well-being of the children will still have to be addressed by the court, yet, your funds are yours.

Have that little extra piece of paper, now you need to have the court system degree the divorce and they look at the petition as a distribution of the assets, a financial issue only. If there are children involved, custody and welfare for the children will also be addressed.

Judges look at divorce as a demise of a financial relationship, that's it.

So, what is the point, you can be in a committed relationship without having that little piece of paper, which guarantees nothing. If a spouse is
going to cheat they will, piece of paper or not.

The entire process makes no sense to me.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,688,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Fear is not a factor. I have risked my life times beyond count, I do not need any lessons on gambling or risk taking. Risk simply is and I decide based on potential reward. As to what I am risking not remarrying, that would be essentially nothing. The reward, that is also essentially nothing. Kinda makes it a no brainer. And that boodha is sad.
Thanks for the explanation crabman1. I still don't understand what you're sad about but that's OK, I'll get over it.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,790,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The marriage license does not bring commitment. The divorce rate is clear enough evidence of that.

I know plenty of committed multi-decade shaking up couples. Well fewer than previously since gay marriage is legal in my state.
1. Its not the Institution of Marriages fault for lack of commitment and divorce ; its people who are short on commitment and long on narcissism .

2. I know plenty of committed multi-decade including half century and longer Married Couples who live in a dignified and legitimate manner .

Have you ever considered the very real ramifications to CoHabitation ?

Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,019,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Thanks for the explanation crabman1. I still don't understand what you're sad about but that's OK, I'll get over it.
I married for love. Not looks, not money, not status. I no longer have that opportunity. I can love, I can utterly and completely commit to one woman, but I most likely will never have the honor of her hand in marriage. Not even for what to me is the only reason that ever mattered at all. That is sad.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,790,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Being good parents has nothing to do with being married,.......NOTHING. My father is and was an old school, emotionally handicapped man. My parents fought all the time and they still bicker. It's probably because they're married that they go back and forth.
Being good parents has everything to do with being Married because it sets the right example for committed love no matter what may come , to the children. Regardless of your Parents bickering, they made it work and to your benefit. At least you werent the product of divorce, or a parent running off having an adulterous affair, or being an illigitimate child. Had they Shacked Up, you most likely would have been raised by one Parent for a good part of your childhood and have an emotional imbalance , possibly even homosexuality, due to a missing Parent who took advantage of the door being propped open for easy escape. You should tell your parents how proud of them you are for making it work , and not denounce the sanctity of Marriage since you didnt turn out too bad . Im pleased they had dignity and enough respect for each other and their children to stay together during not so easy times. Its a good lesson for todays apathetic/narcisistic/and 'whatever' generation to heed .

Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 PM

3,902 posts, read 4,486,751 times
Quote:
I married for love. Not looks, not money, not status. I no longer have that opportunity. I can love, I can utterly and completely commit to one woman, but I most likely will never have the honor of her hand in marriage. Not even for what to me is the only reason that ever mattered at all. That is sad.

Sadly, a prenup is pretty much a required item for people today, especially men, as they come out losing FAR more often than women do. I know a couple of guys who had to downgrade to one bedroom apartments after divorce because they had to give up the houses they had bought (keep paying the mortgage though), AND still pay extra for child support...it just devastated them...I know another guy who has to take jobs that pay cash on the side as his day job pay check gets swallowed up again by his divorce..getting married should not expose a guy to the possibility of financial ruin and disaster...I'm sorry ladies, but no woman is worth that.

On the flip side, while I do think the majority of divorced women do the right thing with the child support women, there seems to be a healthy chunk of you who don't...spending your child support money on yourselves and not the kids...and dont tell me this is just "a few bad apples"...a LOT of you do this...have the poor bastard ex slaving away while you spend his money on yourselves and other men...

Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,688,547 times
Quote:
Awww, now I'm sad for you too, crabman1. **sniff, sniff**

Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,343,993 times
Quote:
I think you over-dramatize things a little bit, Crab, particularly considering you're not really wiped out financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships