Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
From memory, the first time I received a Hug/Cuddle, was at the age of 37 years. (And yes, I am including my Childhood in this).

How much value do you put on a Hug/Cuddle?
I think that hugs and cuddles started becoming important when I had my daughter. She cried all the time and the only thing that kept her happy was holding her. Now that she is a toddler, she always wants a hug. It was something I had to "learn" to do because I was not hugged much as a child.

I know I closed myself to many people. For those who placed importance on affection and touch stayed away from me. That was to be expected since I was cold. The few friends that have been with me more than 10 years have personalities that allow a person to learn, grow and change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
I hug friends and aquaitances, but short hugs - not proper cuddle hugs.

I'll give close friends and family longer hugs but I'm not that comfortable with prolonged hugging..... except with my husband where I am just a big mush. We cuddle a lot. We 'assume the position' every night at bedtime which has nothing to with sex and everything to do with cuddle time. It's my favorite time of day.

We also hug a fair bit during the day. Long, drawn out hugs. They make me feel loved, safe, protected and close to my SO. In many ways it feels closer to me to cuddle than it does to have sex although I realize that probably sounds really odd.

I would say it is absolutely essential for me to have hugs - especially from my SO. I just adore it!!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
When I walk in the door at home, usually the first thing I do is give my GF a huge hug.. sometimes thats the best part of my day!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Saw in the news...a woman placed a placard sign on saying..."Free Hugs"....it was in a lg city but can't remember just where.

As you watched, it seemed like

EVERYONE WHO WALKED NEAR stopped to get that hug, even from a stranger!!

So Bec, I am sending you a

BIG, LONG, BEAR-LIKE HUG-

This is sweet...I'd be one of those people who give out hugs to strangers...years ago I had a part time job on the weekends and people would come in and tell me their life stories...at the end, I'd offer them a hug and sure enough, they'd take it. It got to the point they would come in often just to tell me stories and take the hugs. Hugs are probably one of the greatest gifts and they don't cost a thing. Plus they provide much comfort especially when you are going through a lot of stuff. My boyfriend loves to hug me and I enjoy hugging him too!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 AM

8 posts, read 59,463 times
I was never much of a hugger, still am not....but i do agree that they can be more comforting than any words!!! i hardly hug family ( i know that sounds weird ) except for my mama. I do enjoy hugging my boyfriend. Sometimes a hug from someone you dont know very well can make all the difference, i particularly remember once time when I was sad and crying about something and bumped into a girl i didnt know very well. she didnt say anything, just hugged me. that meant more to me than anything anyone could have said!!

so tell us how come you haven't been hugged in 37 years?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
From memory, the first time I received a Hug/Cuddle, was at the age of 37 years. (And yes, I am including my Childhood in this).

How much value do you put on a Hug/Cuddle?
Yeah I'm an affectionate person and love to give and recieve hugs.

But I'm more interested in how it makes you feel to recieve a hug, for the first time at age 37? ANd how its affected your behavior/thoughts or perceptions on the subject.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:59 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Yeah I'm an affectionate person and love to give and recieve hugs.

But I'm more interested in how it makes you feel to recieve a hug, for the first time at age 37? ANd how its affected your behavior/thoughts or perceptions on the subject.

I'm thinking they were held like a dirty diaper. Arm stretched out and with two fingers.

When they were born there was no holding or cuddling with mama. She just set them in a chair or something and fed them from a bottle.

Remember every single time they were picked up they never were hugged. Just held at arm length with two fingers by the diaper.

They were hugged. It's the dumbest thing I ever heard to get sympathy.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:09 PM

529 posts, read 1,301,125 times
I love hugs, holding hands, touching someones face/head/etc (and being touched).
I rank them right below making love with your SO as a means of bonding.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:13 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You cannot place a value on the importance of physical contact/touch - babies without it do not thrive and become sickly as though they want to die

I hope your future will include many loving hugs - you deserve it!
That’s so true.

Thank you.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:16 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Saw in the news...a woman placed a placard sign on saying..."Free Hugs"....it was in a lg city but can't remember just where.

As you watched, it seemed like

EVERYONE WHO WALKED NEAR stopped to get that hug, even from a stranger!!

So Bec, I am sending you a

BIG, LONG, BEAR-LIKE HUG-

I’m really feeling loved now, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships