Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM

232 posts, read 633,069 times

Advertisements

Why do football players in highschool get labeled a dumb jock or a cheerleader a bimbo, ****, *****? Some people go there and don't fit in for whatever reason and decide they don't fit in because of everything else, never themselves.

Some guy driving a ridiculously nice car must have a small penis. Rich people are a$$holes. Good looking people are dumb and stuckup. You are successful, doing better then me? Here, lets knock you down a peg or two.

A bar is just for people to mingle, let their guards down so they can meet people and maybe even have some fun. Some bars are more for relaxing with people you already know. I see people sometimes that don't look like they are having fun because they are too introverted. They're usually off in a corner by themselves or a few friends just as non-social as they are, probably talking **** about other people that are enjoying themselves. Then they go home and decide bars are full of losers. Don't worry about what they think about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 PM

232 posts, read 633,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Trust, if those lowlifes wanted to get into high-end bars/clubs, they could. Those are the kind of spots that attract a ghetto/thug element.

I don't know what bars or clubs you go to, but either you don't really go to any and just making **** up or you live in a very bad area and go to places in that area. Those "lowlifes" are probably shopping in the same supermarket as you. Gotta get food somewhere.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
Why do football players in highschool get labeled a dumb jock or a cheerleader a bimbo, ****, *****? Some people go there and don't fit in for whatever reason and decide they don't fit in because of everything else, never themselves.

Some guy driving a ridiculously nice car must have a small penis. Rich people are a$$holes. Good looking people are dumb and stuckup. You are successful, doing better then me? Here, lets knock you down a peg or two.

A bar is just for people to mingle, let their guards down so they can meet people and maybe even have some fun. Some bars are more for relaxing with people you already know. I see people sometimes that don't look like they are having fun because they are too introverted. They're usually off in a corner by themselves or a few friends just as non-social as they are, probably talking **** about other people that are enjoying themselves. Then they go home and decide bars are full of losers. Don't worry about what they think about anything.
Sounds like you like to pigeonhole and knock introverts down a few pegs. Introverts are not necessarily non-social, incapable of socializing nor do they necessarily talk **** about people unlike themselves. Most people's perceptions of bars and clubs are fairly accurate, the question is whether you consider certain atmospheres enjoyable or desirable for your free time, and the answer to that will vary to some to degree from person to person.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 PM

861 posts, read 1,124,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Sounds like you like to pigeonhole and knock introverts down a few pegs. Introverts are not necessarily non-social, incapable of socializing nor do they necessarily talk **** about people unlike themselves. Most people's perceptions of bars and clubs are fairly accurate, the question is whether you consider certain atmospheres enjoyable or desirable for your free time, and the answer to that will vary to some to degree from person to person.
agreed... the op asked why do bars/clubs get bad reps not whether we like going to clubs or not....

Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times
Quote:

People tend to want to compensate for their short comings and finding something negative about a person they are jealous of. Just like jocks bully the nerds because deep down, they are somewhat jealous of their intelligence. Nerds label jocks as dumb when they are jealous of their athletic ability, looks, and social skills.

Regarding being introverted, that reminds me of another change with myself in the club scene compared to 10 years ago. Back then, even just a little bit of "liquid courage" will make extroverted. Now, I have to drink a lot more to feel that way, but by then I can't even carry a conversation because I would barely be able to speak.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 AM

200 posts, read 328,505 times
Good people go to the club too I'll just say "love is where you find it"....

Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times
Quote:

I don't know what bars or clubs you go to, but either you don't really go to any and just making **** up or you live in a very bad area and go to places in that area. Those "lowlifes" are probably shopping in the same supermarket as you. Gotta get food somewhere.
I've seen more than enough news reports of shootings/murders and fights at clubs to know they attract trouble. Not just the hood clubs but club districts in many city centers have the same issue with criminal thuggery.

Typical night at the club: Music is playing and everyone having a good time. Few hours later there's commotion which turns into a group of guys grilling each other hard; cooler heads prevail for a minute and everyone goes back to having fun. Hours later as the club closes, those same dudes go to the parking lot and continue talking smack to each other. A Pier 6 brawl breaks out with both camps going at it. Few dudes from each group reach for guns and shots ring out in the parking lot. 5-10 people from each side laying in their own blood, police secure the scene and everyone is shook at what happened.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I've had some great times at local neighborhood bars. Play shuffleboard, pool, darts. Have Jam sessions, dance.

BBQ
Definitely. I have absolutely no interest in upscale clubs or ultralounges or whatever the hell they call them these days. 'Round these parts, those places are douchebag central--everyone there looks like they missed the tryouts for Jersey Shore. They're all trying too hard in a competitive way that's not very chill. Give me a neighborhood joint with a Cheers vibe, a good beer list, and a decent jukebox, and I'm a happy camper.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-06-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Lightbulb Right To The Point, As Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
I've seen more than enough news reports of shootings/murders and fights at clubs to know they attract trouble. Not just the hood clubs but club districts in many city centers have the same issue with criminal thuggery.

Typical night at the club: Music is playing and everyone having a good time. Few hours later there's commotion which turns into a group of guys grilling each other hard; cooler heads prevail for a minute and everyone goes back to having fun. Hours later as the club closes, those same dudes go to the parking lot and continue talking smack to each other. A Pier 6 brawl breaks out with both camps going at it. Few dudes from each group reach for guns and shots ring out in the parking lot. 5-10 people from each side laying in their own blood, police secure the scene and everyone is shook at what happened.
Thank you for pointing this out, Northside...happens a lot here in my neck of the woods too---EXACTLY as you laid it out...and forgive me for asking, but where exactly did dude get the impression that you're 'trying to stir up ****'?

Since when did making a valid point in a discussion equate to 'stirring up ****'?...anyway, though, you pointed out a valid concern as to why clubs and bars somtimes get a bad name---there seems to be a widening gap between adults who just want to go and have a drink and relax and enjoy the company of other adults, and overgrown adolescents who, after they get a little 'likker' in them, start trying to show everyone withn the sound of their voice how big their equipment is, or how tough they are, or how many guns or friends with guns they have with them---you get the picture...

Bottom line is this...I still think a bar or a club is not overall a bad place to go and mingle with other adults, and I don't have a beef with those that LIKE bars and clubs, actually...MY problem starts when those that can't act their age start making life miserable for those who do...I really don't care how tough you are, how many of your 'boys' you have with you, or if you want to go into the parking lot and play 'Gunfight At The OK Corral'---people have a right to enjoy the company of like minded adults without a bunch of unnecessary noise and posturing...carrying a gun and selling wolf tickets at the top of your voice A) is annoying as hell, B) doesn't need to happen in a place where people are trying to enjoy themselves, and most importantly C) doesn't make you a man/woman...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
...anyway, though, you pointed out a valid concern as to why clubs and bars somtimes get a bad name---there seems to be a widening gap between adults who just want to go and have a drink and relax and enjoy the company of other adults, and overgrown adolescents who, after they get a little 'likker' in them, start trying to show everyone withn the sound of their voice how big their equipment is, or how tough they are, or how many guns or friends with guns they have with them---you get the picture...

Bottom line is this...I still think a bar or a club is not overall a bad place to go and mingle with other adults, and I don't have a beef with those that LIKE bars and clubs, actually...MY problem starts when those that can't act their age start making life miserable for those who do...I really don't care how tough you are, how many of your 'boys' you have with you, or if you want to go into the parking lot and play 'Gunfight At The OK Corral'---people have a right to enjoy the company of like minded adults without a bunch of unnecessary noise and posturing...carrying a gun and selling wolf tickets at the top of your voice A) is annoying as hell, B) doesn't need to happen in a place where people are trying to enjoy themselves, and most importantly C) doesn't make you a man/woman...
I've always classified bars and clubs into two main categories - local "closed" clubs, where everyone knows everyone else and outsiders are watched like hawks; and "public" or "open" clubs, where all comers are welcome or at least ignored enough that they can start spewing their attitude.

I had a choice a few years ago - head up security at the newest, biggest strip club in the area, or perform the same job for a small, old, out-of-the-way club that I've known for many years.

That was a no-brainer.

Now, the big club has all sorts of problems with wanna-be gang-bangers, Guidos and drug dealers. They have bad press, bad rep and almost non-existent security. My place? A few small altercations once in a while, nothing major - when you nip them in the bud you don't allow them time to build steam.

For a club that features both alcohol and naked women (a natural breeding ground for conflicts), we have the best ratio of customers-to-incidents in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships