Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 AM

640 posts, read 1,731,660 times

Advertisements

"The truth is probably simpler than that and best summed up by the “New York taxi driver” theory. According to this idea, men — like New York taxi drivers — cruise around all day, picking up fares. They carry some for a long time, some for just a short while, without giving it all that much thought. But at a certain point, when they’re tired, maybe bored and have had their fill, the taxi driver decides it’s time to turn off his light and go home. Whoever is in the back of his metaphorical relationship taxi at that point is the one he marries."

What makes men commit? - Times Online

Do you think this is true? Is it about finding the one or simply being the woman who is at the right place at the right time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Overall, most people (not just men) commit when they find a compatible person at the right time (and, of course, if the person feels the same and it's also the right time for him/her). Both those things need to be present, though. You can meet a compatible person at the wrong time, and that can derail things. You can also be at the right time of life, but not be meeting anybody who's the right type of person.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
1. Lust
2. Timing

Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Overall, most people (not just men) commit when they find a compatible person at the right time (and, of course, if the person feels the same and it's also the right time for him/her). Both those things need to be present, though. You can meet a compatible person at the wrong time, and that can derail things. You can also be at the right time of life, but not be meeting anybody who's the right type of person.
I agree with this.

Of course we can only speak in broad generalities, but I do think that for men it is more often a case of feeling ready to settle down then finding a woman who meets whatever criteria he's looking for.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:30 AM

30,998 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Totally random for the majority of the population. Example: Dated 10 Players and frogs in a row between the ages of 18 and 23. Found a nice good looking guy at 24, must be the one since he shines next to the previous 10.

Most people end up in a LTR based on luck, Kismet, random chance, then declare them as "The One". When someone puts forth a plan and a goal in finding the "Right one" they are often declared "Mechanical" as if finding someone who is "The One" has to be found through random chance.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Quote:
Is it about finding the one or simply being the woman who is at the right place at the right time
Ditto. It takes a lot for a man, or anyone for that matter to commit. For me, I have to be 100% certain that the woman I'm with is who I want to be with. Otherwise, I will keep it moving because it's not fair to me or her.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
desperation.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
I think it's about finding the right woman (someone you really think is compatible) at the right time (when you're capable of commiting). Of course, some people will take the first available when they are feeling desperate, or make bad choices whether the time is right or not. Most people will at least try to make a good decision.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleharmonicmotion View Post
"The truth is probably simpler than that and best summed up by the “New York taxi driver” theory. According to this idea, men — like New York taxi drivers — cruise around all day, picking up fares. They carry some for a long time, some for just a short while, without giving it all that much thought. But at a certain point, when they’re tired, maybe bored and have had their fill, the taxi driver decides it’s time to turn off his light and go home. Whoever is in the back of his metaphorical relationship taxi at that point is the one he marries."

What makes men commit? - Times Online

Do you think this is true? Is it about finding the one or simply being the woman who is at the right place at the right time?
Finding the right woman for sure. It could even be said for the female as well. I've cheated on a good amount of boyfriends but have found someone I couldn't even imagine doing that to.

Its just how love works.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:58 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
This should be good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships