Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you personally approve of interracial marriages?
Approve 190 87.96%
Disapprove 23 10.65%
Not sure 3 1.39%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
This never should have been an issue to start with. I personally am now moving towards black women. The sisters like and respect me. We have different tastes in music. They have their hip hop and pop. I listen to the alternative-indie stuff like the Pixies or whatever, but the sisters do not mind. They're down with me and I am down with them.
That is good.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
Perhaps in your experience, but my own grandfather (who was Irish American) was born in such a town and my grandmother remembered that period of time. I could name several that were sundown towns within 30 miles of where I am today.
No not in my experience in reality. I can name several towns that people believe were a sundown town, but they never were. People believe the myth and take it as fact even if it isnt. I am not saying there wasnt towns like this, actually there were towns that were even worse then being a sundown town. Illinois had some very racist towns, and still does to this day.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Your kids will care when they get bullied in school for being "half-and-halfs".
Not quite sure where you live but here in LA there are a ton of mixed people so are you saying all of them are going to be bullied? That makes no sense whatsoever... besides I have never heard of kids bullying each other because of race especially the nature of being mixed means that you cannot be pigenholed into one stereotype

Old 09-18-2011, 10:26 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Your kids will care when they get bullied in school for being "half-and-halfs".
and when they don't get bullied for being half and half.. just like most don't then what?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:39 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,463 times
Race doesn't matter as long as im attracted to you. I work with a Pakastani and he's cute he has dark hair and light eyes.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
That's absolutely untrue.... Just because people are of the same race doesn't mean that your parents will automatically like them. MOST parents judge the relationship of their children based on the character of the person that their son/daughter is dating. If your parents don't like your partner (no matter what race/ethnicity) then it WOULD come up. For example, my parents adore my girlfriend (she's Chinese) because she's a sweetheart, however two years ago, I dated another girl (from my own racial group) and my parents basically couldn't stand her because they thought she was a b*tch, among other things. Your statement is way off.

As regarding your brother's gf, just because she had "no personality" doesn't mean in any way, shape, or form that that is a cause of her race or her culture. Did it ever cross your mind that maybe that was just her personality (or lack of it)? I think you're just making up excuses now because most people in relationships come from different cultures (even within the same race) and they don't seem to have any problems regarding each other's different culture. Furthermore, if they were born here/lived here long enough then a vast majority of people are more American than whatever culture their ancestors were. I just don't think your argument holds any real weight and I think you're making up untrue excuses.
I never said that just because I marry someone of the same race my parents will automatically like them. But race is still a big factor. I would agree if the guy is a jerk then he is a jerk, regardless of ethnicity. It would to me, and this is my opinion, if I were to marry a guy outside of my race especially an exotic one it would just look weird and out of place. If we go to the grocery store in my town you bet we would get stares and comments. However if i dated within my race no one would bat an eye. You just have to accept that in other cultures it is taboo to marry a different race. Besides, it seems that the majority of people marry (not date) within their own race anyway. Most people just prefer to stay in their own race for a variety of reasons, these are MY reasons you can agree with them or not:

1. Extreme cultural differences/culture shock
2. It just seems abnormal to me, why in the world would a baptist marry a muslim for crying out loud?
3. I want my children to be raised in my own culture
4. Interracial marriages have a higher rate of divorce
5. Creates even more family troubles and drama

The only way to avoid marrying someone of a different culture is to not date them in the 1st place. Most people live with their own races, self-segregate themselves, marry in their own race, and are just overall happier living with their own race. Whether you want to admit it or not. I would feel out of place if I moved to an majority hispanic or asian town. In fact if the statement of living with your own race and culture makes a person the most comfortable wasn't true then please explain why we have Chinatowns and various other ethnic enclaves across the country? They just did not appear out of thin air. This is basic sociology. I am not saying that all interracial marriages will fail or never work out, I am just saying that being in one would most likely not work out for me.

Quote:
I still don't understand why you would think that though? If you truly love someone then race shouldn't even be a thought? Accepted by who? society? Family?

I don't know, I hate to sound rude, but unfortunately, I just don't get it
If you truly love someone then you should marry, I just know what would be better for my future family.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I never said that just because I marry someone of the same race my parents will automatically like them. But race is still a big factor. I would agree if the guy is a jerk then he is a jerk, regardless of ethnicity. It would to me, and this is my opinion, if I were to marry a guy outside of my race especially an exotic one it would just look weird and out of place. If we go to the grocery store in my town you bet we would get stares and comments. However if i dated within my race no one would bat an eye. You just have to accept that in other cultures it is taboo to marry a different race. Besides, it seems that the majority of people marry (not date) within their own race anyway. Most people just prefer to stay in their own race for a variety of reasons, these are MY reasons you can agree with them or not:

1. Extreme cultural differences/culture shock
2. It just seems abnormal to me, why in the world would a baptist marry a muslim for crying out loud?
3. I want my children to be raised in my own culture
4. Interracial marriages have a higher rate of divorce
5. Creates even more family troubles and drama

The only way to avoid marrying someone of a different culture is to not date them in the 1st place. Most people live with their own races, self-segregate themselves, marry in their own race, and are just overall happier living with their own race. Whether you want to admit it or not. I would feel out of place if I moved to an majority hispanic or asian town. In fact if the statement of living with your own race and culture makes a person the most comfortable wasn't true then please explain why we have Chinatowns and various other ethnic enclaves across the country? They just did not appear out of thin air. This is basic sociology. I am not saying that all interracial marriages will fail or never work out, I am just saying that being in one would most likely not work out for me.

If you truly love someone then you should marry, I just know what would be better for my future family.
Fascinating. Do you know the Powerball numbers for next week as well?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
There is a kind of hyper-consciousness about race in the gay community that tends to be the cause of a lot of racial strife and selectivity among different groups. Much of it is based on exaggerated stereotypes certain groups maintain about others. You mentioned the phenomenon of racial exclusion and selectivity in personals ads of women seeking men earlier. In the gay dating scene, the phenomenon is much more pronounced, widespread, and unapologetic.

Don't Ask, Just Tell: Sexual racism is at the core of what many gay men believe to be ''preferences'': Opinion section: Metro Weekly magazine, Washington, DC newspaper
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I can't say I'm surprised that dating exclusion occurs even in the gay community. People hold their preferences, prejudices and stereotypes, regardless of their orientation.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Fascinating. Do you know the Powerball numbers for next week as well?
Typical dumb answer, you don't have anything intelligent to contribute so you write a sarcastic response instead.

And for the person who said the south is backwards you need to look in your own backyard. My bf is from around your neck of the woods(new york city) and the racism there is just as ugly. Look at the top segregated cities, not one of them are in the racist, backwards south.

The state with the most hate crimes is good ol californa not racist, backwards alabama or mississippi

Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Typical dumb answer, you don't have anything intelligent to contribute so you write a sarcastic response instead.

And for the person who said the south is backwards you need to look in your own backyard. My bf is from around your neck of the woods(new york city) and the racism there is just as ugly. Look at the top segregated cities, not one of them are in the racist, backwards south.

The state with the most hate crimes is good ol californa not racist, backwards alabama or mississippi
Most of the hate crimes in California are against the LBGT community and the homeless. Racial hate crimes do occur here too, but to a lesser extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.