Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:13 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,565,572 times

Advertisements

At what point do you lie to your spouse/Gf/Bf? Where do you draw the line at being totally honest with them? Do you really tell them that they are starting to put on weight? Do you dare tell your wife/Gf that her butt looks big in that dress? What about more personal things like sex? Do your tell them that they are lacking in the bedroom? Do you tell your Gf/wife that you & your buddies went to the local strip club after work?
What is acceptable NOT tell your spouse/gf/bf?

That is without getting killed or worse!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 03:53 AM

13,666 posts, read 10,056,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
At what point do you lie to your spouse/Gf/Bf? Where do you draw the line at being totally honest with them? Do you really tell them that they are starting to put on weight? Do you dare tell your wife/Gf that her butt looks big in that dress? What about more personal things like sex? Do your tell them that they are lacking in the bedroom? Do you tell your Gf/wife that you & your buddies went to the local strip club after work?

Sometimes you just can't win, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:56 AM

87 posts, read 93,096 times
If you're asking for specifics, I'd have a hard time helping you. However, I would say that it's probably best at drawing the line at being downright mean. It's mean to call ANYONE fat, not just your spouse. It's NOT mean to tell them where you are when you get off work...that's common courtesy.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:30 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,195,534 times
Quote:

When you are ready to hear everything that is wrong with you, I guess that is when you can be *honest*. The problem with this might be that the other person has no desire to hurt your feelings.

People change when they see something better, wish the same for themselves (by being inspired) and have a plan on how to get there.

Sorry, it goes both ways.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,271,014 times
If there are issues that are affecting your relationship or sex life and you are unhappy -- then you need to discuss it. However, you do not do this in a hostile or degrading way. When you are NOT having sex or have just finished you bring up the subject.

If she is lacking in bed, then what can she do to make it better? It would be best to start the conversation with some ideas in mind that the both of you could try. The weight issue is a bit more tricky, since that could be happening for a variety of reasons including stress or medical issues. Was she heavy in the past?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:26 AM

37,665 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:

Most people call this "reasoning", or "common sense".

Old 10-08-2011, 11:08 AM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times
There's ways to do/say things.

Partner getting a little plump? "I need to go to the gym (to lose weight/work off stress), and it's more fun with a partner, will you go with me?"

Don't like a piece of clothing? "I love you in the green dress, you haven't worn that in awhile"

Honesty does not equal cruelty.

And you better tell me you're going to the strip club BEFORE.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,669,009 times
Tact has jack to do with it. There are things partners DO NOT want to hear, regardless of the manner in which it is approached. Focusing on the "tact" angle to this question, is re-arranging deck chairs.

Honesty has scathing elements to it. Which is why people speak out of both sides of their mouth when they demand honesty; it sounds good to declare such demand, but most aren't really all that emotional ready to take it.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,137,752 times
Quote:

These are hard questions. But the guiding line should be: after you tell them, will they benefit in some way, will it help in some way? or will it ONLY hurt them?

If it will hurt them, I wouldn't tell. Why? They are the ones who will get to live with a burden of this knowledge and it will cause them pain.

Like going to a strip club: of course don't tell. It will hurt the spouse (most likely) and what benefit? none

about the fatness, only if they ask, say something in between the truth and reality, something like "you got a little bigger but i love you anyways" if they are really asking about that (make sure you listen, she might just need affirmations that whatever shape she is in, that's still is ok with you

so if she said: did I get too fat? she meant: did I get too fat for you too like me... a little lying will do good for both of you (she won't get hurt and thus you two will still be happy)

as far as them lacking in the bedroom, only can tell if they are very confident in themselves and you KNOW that they will try to change to accommodate you

otherwise, it will just hurt them and make them feel insecure and act even worse in the bedroom

instead of telling them what they do wrong, try telling them what you would like to be done if possible

and don't tell the wife of your affairs
it will only make her feel bad

the statement that 'truth is better no matter what" is completely false I think

Old 10-08-2011, 11:25 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,137,752 times
what's better: hurting someone with the truth for no good reason, OR letting them be happy in blissful ignorance of truth?

it is better to break things with the truth because of some mistakes (for no good reason) or keep things going well with blissful lies? [/quote]

The rule should be: try lying only to prevent hurting the situation or the spouse. But try to be truthful in other places, so the spouse can still trust you.

Lie only as long as it doesn't HURT the spouse.

Lie to help, not to hurt

Of course it's best not to do things that would need you to lie, but if it happens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships