Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

If I made enough money - I would have no problem with my husband staying at home. However, now that we have a baby - I'm so darn attached to the little bugger that it would be very hard for me to be away from him all day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
I hear in Sweden, there is more house-husbands than housewives. Personally, I would just be sick

I work out and give myself a nice body and also bring home the kosher turkey bacon.. If I had a wife I am sure she would appreciate me for being a "Man"-man and not a girlie-boy man-wh*re who sits on his a** all day. Heck, even most women cannot be housewives in this day and age.
A man-wh*re? Harsh. Just because he's not working?

The OP says this man will be at home raising the children and taking care of the housework; that is definitely not sitting on his behind all day.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 PM

16 posts, read 25,286 times
I know this post is kind of dead, but I wanted to give the OP my perspective. Like a lot of other people, I often question my actions when observing other people. I'm not much of a quote person but I have to quote Steve Jobs from his 2005 Stanford speech:

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Almost half of all marriages fail and who knows the percentage of unhappy ones. I'm a newly wed and we're taking a serious approach to our marriage. We view our marriage as a business, we have tasks, financial obligations, challenges and we have an end goal. We met when she was in college and I was working full time at a large corporation. After college she decided to attend law school, I supported her for a year while she studied for the LSAT stress free. Well....her hard work paid off, she was accepted into Harvard Law School. Throughout her law studies, I supported her while working full time.

Now she's working at a large law firm and works 60-80 hours per week. I have decided to work part-time, when we made a pro/con list, it was amazing to see how many more pros there were than cons. It only made sense for to be the bread winner. Her first year salary is more than many executives. My current salary is minimal, the extra income isn't necessary, I only work 15 hours a week. I'm mainly doing this to keep busy/keep in a professional circle. This doesn't mean I sit around all day and watch Dr. Phil, oh no.....I am very very busy.

Her job in the marriage is to make money and to grow in her profession. She loves the law firm life, having her own office and doing important tasks. My job is to make sure she's happy, stress free, do chores, go shopping, cook, balance the book, pay the bills, take care of the animals, do yard work, etc etc etc. I do my job well, she admits I'm a smarter shopper than her. I'm also very technical and handy, I'm a super homemaker since I can clean, cook, clean the gutters, mow the lawn, fix the washer, do wiring, renovate the bathroom and all of those fun things. I also can do these things during the week, so we have real quality time together on weekends.

I find her success attractive, she looks amazing in her work attire. She's attracted to my freedom, I have a long beard, tattoos and have a very alt look that wouldn't ever be accepted at a large corp. We're each other's eye candy and it's great. We both keep healthy and eat well, I make sure of this because of cook every meal from scratch. I meet her at her job every day at noon and provide her with a home cooked meal while her overweight co-workers scarf down fast food.

As for power, neither of us hold more power than the other. We make decisions together, we sometimes argue over them, but this is completely normal and healthy. I know some men who want a submissive partner and to have total control over them, this isn't for me.

Although she makes most of the money, I'm in charge of the finances. I manage the investments and the bills. We set the budget every 3 months as a joint decision and I make sure we don't go over.

Yeah I can work and make an additional 100K, hire help and all of that, but that is lame in our opinion. Right now I'm renovating a vintage VW bus in our garage for weekend road trips. If I worked 60 hours per week, we would probably live in some cookie-cutter condo and live dull lives.

Live your life and stay happy and healthy!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,510,066 times
I'd rather be an eye candy construction worker. I don't even believe in stay-at-home wives, let alone husbands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships