Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:05 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times

Advertisements

**Note: This is NOT a thread to rant about how high the divorce rate is or how uncommitted and ignorant our generation is. If you want to do that, do it in a another thread as it's off-topic here and distracting.**

Now with that announcement out of the way...

For those of you who are divorced, why did you divorce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:16 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,109 times
A few reasons:

- I got tired of being alone, doing things alone, and having no one to talk to, even though we lived in the same house.
- I wanted to protect us both financiallly and legally.
- I didn't trust her and couldn't rely on her for anything.
- The thought of growing old with no family, no friends, no companion, became a hard idea to accept. I don't know if I'll ever have any of those, but at least now I can hope.
- Being completely celibate not by my choice really sucked.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 AM

I divorced because I got married very young and had no sense of self-awareness yet, thus, I hadn't any idea whatsoever what I wanted and needed in a man in order to have a successful relationship. I was just going along with my feelings in the moment because I liked him and wanted to be part of his life. Being married to him sounded so cool and I imagined it to be romantic, even though he was never one to be romantic. Having had time to reflect I realize that neither of us were bad people or anything like that, we were just attracted to each other yet very incompatible. We got married at a point when neither of us knew ourselves enough to know what we really needed to sustain a long-term happy marriage.

Last edited by srjth; 10-27-2011 at 05:50 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
A few reasons:

- I got tired of being alone, doing things alone, and having no one to talk to, even though we lived in the same house.
- I wanted to protect us both financiallly and legally.
- I didn't trust her and couldn't rely on her for anything.
- The thought of growing old with no family, no friends, no companion, became a hard idea to accept. I don't know if I'll ever have any of those, but at least now I can hope.
- Being completely celibate not by my choice really sucked.
Thank you for contributing.

My ex husband was very trustworthy, but not very loving. Someone I dated after I divorced was very loving but not very trustworthy. This caused an awakening in me to realize how very important both love and trust is to me. I never realized that before those two relationships. Duh!

Last edited by srjth; 10-27-2011 at 05:46 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 AM

406 posts, read 770,755 times
As Superk, I got tired of being alone, doing things alone, and having no one to talk to, even though we lived in the same house. I felt like a single parent/person except I couldn't date. That wasn't an issue for the most part ..... until I did meet someone who I wanted to get to know better.

My ex almost never supported anything I wanted. We did what he wanted. Went where he wanted to go. Hung out with who he approved of. What I wanted didn't matter...

He was very controlling.

I decided I did not have to live that way. I told him I was not happy, he told me that he had more important things and more important people to deal with (because of work) and I just needed to get happy. He said he was too busy to deal with me.

So I got a divorce and told him he no longer had to worry about dealing with me.............

Old 10-27-2011, 05:48 AM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
My ex was incredibly controlling. He hated that I did not fit into his "wifey mold" and it just ate away at him, almost from the start of our marriage. He could not deal with my independent nature, and I could not deal with his need to control me. He became bitter and hateful...horrible to live with, and we were both miserable.

No sure how we both managed to last 5 years together.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My ex was incredibly controlling. He hated that I did not fit into his "wifey mold" and it just ate away at him, almost from the start of our marriage. He could not deal with my independent nature, and I could not deal with his need to control me. He became bitter and hateful...horrible to live with, and we were both miserable.

No sure how we both managed to last 5 years together.
What was his idea of a "wifey mold"?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Three years ago my wife got a chance to go to the home office & learn how to become a DM for the company she worked at that time for. She was there for 3 months straight. She was able to come home on the weekends, she did some & I drove down there one weekend. The more time she was down there the more she grew apart from me. One night we were talking online & she told me that she needed her space. At that point I should of walked..hindsight being what it is our marriage was over before this happend. She had the habit of putting her job before our marriage.She often told me that her job would be there long after I was gone. When she did come home for good she told me that she was worried about us making it as a couple. Again with the hindsight.
Last Decemeber she walked out stating that she couldn't do this anymore. I wasn't sure what she met by that at the time. I always had the nagging idea that she slept with someone while she was away. I think she felt gulity. She admitted she met someone who made her question our marriage. Three weeks after I moved out of the house she moved some guy in & she is now with him. I think she did cheat while she was away, this just sort of lets me know I was right. While we are not divoriced as of yet we are seprated. Again this says to me that she's been seeing someone behind my back for a while now.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
What was his idea of a "wifey mold"?
A woman that had dinner on the table every night by 5:30. One that sewed curtains for the windows. One that could be counted on to be home every night rather than go shopping, go to the gym, visit friends, etc. Occasional trips were fine as long as they were scheduled and I would be home within a couple of hours. One that preferred housework to working in the yard (like that would EVER be me ). One that never ever needed to run up to the store late at night because she forgot to get milk...or whatever. One that always went to bed at the same time he did. God forbid that I wanted to stay up and do anything.

One like his mom.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 AM

356 posts, read 829,894 times
I got together with my ex at 17, married at 23, & divorced at 26.

There were hundreds of little minute reasons that combined, were just too much. Guess I'll go into the category of "too young".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships