Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times

Advertisements

Great stories. Always nice to see a happy thread. My guy will, on a whim, buy pet supplies and household goods/food for some of the local animal shelters and DV organizations. Given my volunteer work with victims and my love for animals, it's heart warming. Makes me want to pursue it on a greater scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Great stories. Always nice to see a happy thread. My guy will, on a whim, buy pet supplies and household goods/food for some of the local animal shelters and DV organizations. Given my volunteer work with victims and my love for animals, it's heart warming. Makes me want to pursue it on a greater scale.
Your guy sounds like a keeper

In a good relationship each person is inspired and motivated to be the best they can be simply by seeing themselves through their partners eyes

Old 11-01-2011, 04:17 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
My wife is one of the organizers of the make-a-wish party here at work. This woman is so busy as it is but yet she takes the time to get this event going. This is a once a year thing and for some of these kids it leaves lasting memories. I have a keeper. She also actively volunteers for other things. It is just in her nature.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
My wife is one of the organizers of the make-a-wish party here at work. This woman is so busy as it is but yet she takes the time to get this event going. This is a once a year thing and for some of these kids it leaves lasting memories. I have a keeper. She also actively volunteers for other things. It is just in her nature.
And don't you just find her actions inspiring?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And don't you just find her actions inspiring?
Extremely. She has been through a lot the last couple of years with her health. Even with the health issues she continues to provide for others. I support her 100%.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Extremely. She has been through a lot the last couple of years with her health. Even with the health issues she continues to provide for others. I support her 100%.
I know what you mean.

My husband lost his job back in 2008 and was out of work a solid year. Then when he found something it only lasted 4 months and he was out of work again another 6 months!

Not once did I ever hear him say, "why me?" "it's not fair" or complain in any way, shape or form.

He just got up every day and busted his butt looking for a new job.

He sent out literally hundreds of resumes and got rejection after rejection. I was disheartened, but he refused to be.

He took a job making $10. an hour (mind you, he was a career man used to making a six figure income) scooping dog poop out of the yards of wealthy people several days a week just to help make ends meet.

He handled that terrible time in our lives with more grace and humility than I know I ever could have.

He was a wonderful example to everyone around him of how a real man conducts himself and handles adversity.

It is truly my honor to be married to him.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean.

My husband lost his job back in 2008 and was out of work a solid year. Then when he found something it only lasted 4 months and he was out of work again another 6 months!

Not once did I ever hear him say, "why me?" "it's not fair" or complain in any way, shape or form.

He just got up every day and busted his butt looking for a new job.

He sent out literally hundreds of resumes and got rejection after rejection. I was disheartened, but he refused to be.

He took a job making $10. an hour (mind you, he was a career man used to making a six figure income) scooping dog poop out of the yards of wealthy people several days a week just to help make ends meet.

He handled that terrible time in our lives with more grace and humility than I know I ever could have.

He was a wonderful example to everyone around him of how a real man conducts himself and handles adversity.

It is truly my honor to be married to him.
That is very honorable. I always tell my wife if I lost my job I would work anywhere until I got back into my field.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:45 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,742 times
Things your spouse/significant other have done
Quote:
that make you proud or encourage you to be a better person yourself.
So many things.

We were driving separately into town the other weekend when we passed a woman in a Suburban that had broken down in an intersection. He pulled over and I thought our old car was having trouble. Nope. He wanted to help and asked me to approach her about it. He didn't want her to be made uncomfortable by a strange man approaching her.

When we were driving down a highway we passed a turtle crossing the road. My hubby asked if we should stop and help him across. Fortunately he was in a place where there was enough visibility to make it safe to pick him up and move him. Poor little guy was completely pulled into his shell and by the time we got back to him.

I'm having a skin biopsy in a couple of weeks. Most likely nothing to worry about, but there is a small possibility of something really bad. He's constantly joking about it to distract me from worrying. With previous health problems (mine) he's been the same way. He doesn't let me wallow in worry. He's always keeping me laughing and engaged in the world.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,258,254 times
My bf has done so much in the short time we've been together (about a year and a half). I had surgery in March that was supposed to be outpatient...I ended up in the hospital for about a week. He took off work that week and did rotating shifts at the hospital with my mom who flew in from another state. He made sure she was comfortable i.e. got her food, took her everywhere she needed to go because I couldn't do a thing! Mind you, this was his first time meeting my mom! While I was there at the hospital, he always kept me happy and helped me do the basic necessities...lol..took me to the bathroom (who really wants to go there with an adult!) and didn't complain at all...when I cried, he let me and just said everything would be ok...

Enough of that one! Last weekend my sorority put on a cooking event and I asked him to help out and he did. Although initially he didn't want to, he did it, had fun and said he wants to participate again next year!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
My bf has done so much in the short time we've been together (about a year and a half). I had surgery in March that was supposed to be outpatient...I ended up in the hospital for about a week. He took off work that week and did rotating shifts at the hospital with my mom who flew in from another state. He made sure she was comfortable i.e. got her food, took her everywhere she needed to go because I couldn't do a thing! Mind you, this was his first time meeting my mom! While I was there at the hospital, he always kept me happy and helped me do the basic necessities...lol..took me to the bathroom (who really wants to go there with an adult!) and didn't complain at all...when I cried, he let me and just said everything would be ok...

Enough of that one! Last weekend my sorority put on a cooking event and I asked him to help out and he did. Although initially he didn't want to, he did it, had fun and said he wants to participate again next year!
I hear ya - my husband is always willing to do something outside of his comfort zone if he knows it is important to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships