Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,235,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
They wouldn't act like that if it didn't work.

Nice guys don't come across as nice guys because men know that isn't what women are looking for.

Another example: People complain about telemarketers that call their house. Why do they do this? Answer: because it actually does work.
Having BEEN a telemarketer, do you know how OFTEN it works? And what do you mean by "work". You really think Got any black in you gets guys laid?

Thank goodness I am married to a manly nice guy. (small n small g)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,176,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Having BEEN a telemarketer, do you know how OFTEN it works? And what do you mean by "work". You really think Got any black in you gets guys laid?

Thank goodness I am married to a manly nice guy. (small n small g)
In terms of telemarketers: It works often enough for the company to make a profit from it. So maybe the success rate is 1% of the calls, but that's 1% more than they make if NO ONE calls. And the 1% might be enough to run a successful telemarketing business.

In terms of the pickup lines: If you get it often enough from guys using similar lines, it means it's working for someone.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,302,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You are looking at this from the perspective of a nice guy. Bear in mind that many of the men that approach us DON'T present as nice guys. Got any black in you? Want some? Can I have your number? as the first three things a guy says to you ... Yah sure I am going to give you my number you douchenbaggen.
What "nice guy?" I'm a woman. I've been approached by hundreds of men over the course of my adulthood, and what I said goes double for jerks such as you describe. In the rare instance someone was that stupid and out of line as to open a conversation with something so utterly assinine, he wouldn't get a second look from me, much less a verbal response. He'd get a nice view of my backside as I walked away. What is he going to do, grab me? And then he'd be forcibly removed from the premises, as anywhere I'd go would not tolerate that kind of assault on its patrons.

If the majority of men who approach you speak to you that way, you are either hanging out in the wrong places or something about you is attracting trash and telling them they can get away with it.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:04 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,235,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
In terms of telemarketers: It works often enough for the company to make a profit from it.
The business model i to "hire" telemarketers on commission. It costs next to nothing. They turn over often because the telemarketers make no money. When you invest nothing, it is easy to see ROI.

Quote:
So maybe the success rate is 1% of the calls, but that's 1% more than they make if NO ONE calls. And the 1% might be enough to run a successful telemarketing business.

In terms of the pickup lines: If you get it often enough from guys using similar lines, it means it's working for someone.
Or they are stupid.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,011,588 times
202-452-7468 give men this #.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:41 PM

14,583 posts, read 23,147,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
202-452-7468 give men this #.
CIA? Number looks familiar.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,413,137 times
When guys ask for my phone number, I will flat out say no. I don't want to play games. Plus, I'm not interested in them so why not just be direct (but in a polite way) about it?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:51 PM

356 posts, read 831,746 times
I used to give it out to get free drinks out of the guy. It worked like a charm

Old 11-03-2011, 12:57 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,178,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
When guys ask for my phone number, I will flat out say no. I don't want to play games. Plus, I'm not interested in them so why not just be direct (but in a polite way) about it?
So how do you communicate with men, since you never give out your number?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:57 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,299,816 times
Decline in a way you would like someone to deal with you as well. I frequently go to this seafood restaurant where the employees and I know each other by name. There was this waiter who I talked a little while I wait for my order, nice girl. One day she asked me for my phone number. It was a bit awkward for me because I didn’t feel like giving it to her. I just smiled in an embarrassed way and shook my head telling her “hhhmm that’s ok”. She then went ahead and wrote her phone number on a note and gave it to me. I just thanked her, put the phone in my shirt pocket, and continued talking about whatever with her. Just left it like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships