Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:22 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,771,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
But the funny thing is there are people who have kids, or adult children, and they really hate them because they found out the hard way that some children no matter what you do for them (or after all you did for them) are ungrateful and are problematic children (i.e., drugs, jail, alcohol).

There are forums dedicated for parents to exchange stories and advice who have problematic children, ( I have read them) and it's pure hell as told by THEM. I have also personally spoken to elderly couples who have told me they disowned their children and they they hate them because their kids got strung out on drugs and are out in the streets despite all the money and time they put into them.
Oh yeah, there are people who can't stand each other.... just because they share the same DNA doesn't always mean that they like the person....

I see that side of the story too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 04:30 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,614,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think I have ever met anyone who hates kids. Even the couples I know who have decided to purposely be child-free. They are some really devoted aunts and uncles. One of them is even a teacher!
Really? Well, I've never actually met anyone in person either, or they haven't admitted it. I have many friends who do not have children and family members, it's not really a big deal, they don't get pressure from everyone to have kids, they are not bitter and angry and hate all kids. Sierra is right though, there is some bitterness and real HATE on the forum here with certain folks, the militant types. How can anyone "hate" or "dislike" a whole part of the population. It's like saying well I hate all senior citizens, I hate all people between 35 and 45, I hate all white people, it really is ridiculous, cracks me up when I read it on here.

Good luck with the baby on the way.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To me "childless" and "childfree" are not interchangeable terms. The label "childfree" applies more to a militant movement of fanatics who hate children.
Gee, I'm surprised.
Childfree simply is people who CHOOSE to not breed.
Don't let definitions stop a good hate on, though.

I don't hate kids; I think there's an amazing amount of bad parenting out there.
I just don't want to have kids.
I have no interest in them when they're small but like them well enough when they can carry on conversations.

I guess some people would rather see people who don't want kids to breed and abuse them.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:34 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,472,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To me "childless" and "childfree" are not interchangeable terms. The label "childfree" applies more to a militant movement of fanatics who hate children.
I'd have to agree with you Sierra. "Childfree" is more of a personal statement with a negative connotation than a condition.

Whether people who label themselves "childfree" know it or not, the term is often associated with what SierraAZ stated... "militant movement of fanatics who hate children." That may not be the case for everyone, but a few fanatical "childfree" types do ruin the term for the rest of you. Unfortunate, but true.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,614,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javax View Post
How do people react to your childfree lifestyle? Are you single? Have you had pressure from parents, coworkers, church members, etc.? When did you decide to become childfree? How has it affected your dating life? Parents: How do you view childfree people? Just wondering, thanks.
I'm not childfree, but I have many friends and family members who are, and also, some are not married. It's not a big deal, I don't think one way or another about them.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:38 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,472,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Gee, I'm surprised.
Childfree simply is people who CHOOSE to not breed.
Don't let definitions stop a good hate on, though.

I don't hate kids; I think there's an amazing amount of bad parenting out there.
I just don't want to have kids.
I have no interest in them when they're small but like them well enough when they can carry on conversations.

I guess some people would rather see people who don't want kids to breed and abuse them.
You know chielgirl, although I often agree with many of your post... if I recall correctly, people already have pointed out to you that the term "breed" to refer to humans is derogatory. You know this, but use it anyway. Why?

Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
I'm not child FREE. I just don't have children. It's nothing that needs to be announced, discussed, or pondered.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:48 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,771,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
You know chielgirl, although I often agree with many of your post... if I recall correctly, people already have pointed out to you that the term "breed" to refer to humans is derogatory. You know this, but use it anyway. Why?
Yeah, I read that got the nasty vibe from it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not child FREE. I just don't have children. It's nothing that needs to be announced, discussed, or pondered.
Good point.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:50 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,283,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not child FREE. I just don't have children.
What's the difference?

Why do people care what people without children call themselves? Really, why is this such a big deal?

Let's say that someone hates children. As long as it doesn't affect you or your children....who cares?

Old 11-05-2011, 04:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I'd have to agree with you Sierra. "Childfree" is more of a personal statement with a negative connotation than a condition.

Whether people who label themselves "childfree" know it or not, the term is often associated with what SierraAZ stated... "militant movement of fanatics who hate children." That may not be the case for everyone, but a few fanatical "childfree" types do ruin the term for the rest of you. Unfortunate, but true.
So you judge an entire group of people who choose not to have kids as a "militant movement of fanatics who hate children" based on what you see as a few people who hold those beliefs.

I guess, by your definition, all parents are bad parents and abuse their kids.

Do you not see the irony of your statement? You're using the same broad brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships