Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 1,711 times

Advertisements

I am 22 years old and i have never had a girlfriend. So all of this was new to me. During the summer i live in a vacation town out of my beach house (not my permanent residence) There is a girl i met at work over the summer.She is a local and lives there year round. We instantly hit it off. We used to text all day long flirting and just laughing with each other. Then one day she told me she had a crush on me.First time a girl every said that to me. So i decided to go for it. Then i did something i have never done before with a girl. I ask her to hang out side of work. At point we had about 6 weeks left until i left for college and my beach rental was up. We went on about 8-10 legit dates just us two. Including things like NYC, the aquarium, beach walks, ice cream, ect. I never had so much fun with anyone in my life. Smiled from ear to ear the entire time. She used to tell me the same exact thing. so naturally we just tried to hang out and talk as much as possible. We never actually used the title as bf and gf. She had just got out of a 5 year relationship like 3 months prior to meeting her. I remember her telling me she does not want a bf right now she just wants to have fun. And throughout the summer when the topic came up once or twice more she would joke saying like o no boyfriends for me or i just want to have fun. So i never actually asked her out but i was so happy i did not even find it necessary to bring it up. Then when i left for college (8 hours from her) we still texted every minute of the day. She told me once hey did you know people thought we were dating and i was like yea people at work always asked me about it and i just said we are great friends. She was like yea. Then a comment was made about how i never made a move on her. I regret this so much. but i was new at this i did not want to mess it up by trying to kiss her at the wrong time. i know i ****ed up. She used to tell me good morning and text me first. I would do the same. She used to tell me how much she missed me. Then i began to notice every week our communication would begin to lessen every day. Then after 3 weeks at school a friend from the summer informed me she has slept/hooked up with a few guys since i have left. People from work that i thought i was friends with too. then i find she started to hang out with this guy who really into drugs. I ask her friends what i did and why she chose these guys over me. They always told me she i very confused and she doesn't no what she wants. But i know she feels bad about what she did since she like me but her friends say she kind of like this drug guy but she expects nothing to come of it.She also told them i was too good for her. That i deserved better. She had a rough passed but when she was with me she was an angel. She gave me such a special feeling and made me so happy. She does not know i know she has done this stuff bc i did not want to ruin anything. We talk about once or twice a week now. It really kills me bc we used to talk every freaken day now i sense her pushing me away. I just dont know what to do. I thought she was the one. But when i left everything changed. should i remain her friend ( which i found is very hard to do since i have feeling still) or should i just stop talking to her. I need to do something because i have never been so depressed in my life. I guess this is my first broken heart. I just dont know what i did wrong i know she liked me but then i left. I thought we could just continue talking everyday. There is a lot more to the story but this is already pretty long. Please help???? why would she choose this life over me? I can not get her out of my mind i think about her and the good times we used to have every minute of the day. Its killing me!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
I know you are hurting but you have to try to put your feelings aside long enough to just look at the facts okay?

She told you from the beginning she just wanted to have fun.

You were her summer fun.

And that's not such a bad thing! At least you ended on a positive note and she still considers you a friend.

Your problem is all the stuff you are now telling yourself to build this "romance" up into the "love of your life" type when it just wasn't.

What this was was your first relationship.

And while that can be pretty special and something you might never forget, it ran its course.

You are very young and very inexperienced so please pay attention to all I am telling you because you need to get this stuff.

You did not do anything wrong!

And you have to stop ruminating on all this and kicking yourself for your imagined failings.

Take what you learned from this experience and build on it

There will be other girls, IF you allow yourself to go after them.

DO NOT make the mistake of deciding she was your "one and only" and then using that excuse to keep you from having to go out and meet new girls.

You are making a choice to be depressed about this with the story you are writing in your head.

Take control of your emotions, feel them, but no not let them rule you!

It is hard to forget someone special, but the best way to do it is to get real busy.

No more sitting around and mooning over her.

Every time she pops into your head you have to consciously make yourself think of something else.

You will have more luck doing that if you have other things going on to occupy your time.

This is the kind of stuff that separates the men from the boys. Time to grow up and join the rest of the adults around you

Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 1,711 times
She still tells me she wants to hang out over break with her and her friend who i am also friends with. I know for a fact from talking to her friend she really like me. I honestly just think she needs someone to be there in person to always feel loved. idk though. Part of me is so happy she wants to hang but then i think it could make it worse.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb5035 View Post
She still tells me she wants to hang out over break with her and her friend who i am also friends with. I know for a fact from talking to her friend she really like me. I honestly just think she needs someone to be there in person to always feel loved. idk though. Part of me is so happy she wants to hang but then i think it could make it worse.
So hang out with her on your Christmas break.

It's nice she still sees you as a friend.

But again, this was your FIRST relationship - it will only be your last if you decide to use it as an excuse not to have another.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,749,170 times
It does sound like a first relationship. I don't think your experience is all that uncommon: meeting a more "mature" girl with more experience with guys and falling head over heels in love...and not being quite up to the task of having her kind of fun.

What's nice is that you don't judge her.

Be a little more bold next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships