Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 02:15 PM

17 posts, read 39,155 times

Advertisements

How do people react to your childfree lifestyle? Are you single? Have you had pressure from parents, coworkers, church members, etc.? When did you decide to become childfree? How has it affected your dating life? Parents: How do you view childfree people? Just wondering, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javax View Post
How do people react to your childfree lifestyle? Are you single? Have you had pressure from parents, coworkers, church members, etc.? When did you decide to become childfree? How has it affected your dating life? Parents: How do you view childfree people? Just wondering, thanks.
35 year old childless single guy here. Well, It has not affected my dating life personally, And women a bit younger then me seem to like this actually, As Im considered a "blank slate" so to speak. I have not experienced any pressure, Only a bit of surprise from some people. As far as viewing others, Well I have always felt each person's world and their views should be shaped by them, And respected. Many men I know in a similar demographic to me are the same. For my high school folks form back in the day, Most guys who got married and had kids became divorced. I think the high divorce rate takes away al ot of the motivation in many cases.

Though sometimes, At night, I wonder what it would be like to have the whole family thing. We all know those nights, The relaxing ones where we ponder the past, present and future, and the mysterious and mundane.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
35 year old childless single guy here.
To me "childless" and "childfree" are not interchangeable terms. The label "childfree" applies more to a militant movement of fanatics who hate children.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
We're child-free for about another 2 to 3 weeks. Lol.

We don't go out much anyway (been there, done that, *snore*), so we don't expect much of a lifestyle change. People are always like, "Oh, they are going to change your life and tie you down." Really? Because we are so freewheeling? Not. We work, we work out (we have our own home gym), we stay at home. We socialize with people mostly at home (theirs or ours). Traveled the world already, eaten at the best restaurants all over the globe, prefer watching movies on our big screen...we love football games, but we only to to 2 or 3 a year as it is.

Life will be fine.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
65 year old child-free and thrice-divorced (last one YEARS ago!) old female bag here, pretty much present and sometimes correct. Honestly I can't remember it ever being an issue with anyone around me and I can't remember that I ever made a conscious decision NOT to have children, unless regularly using birth control methods counts! Some friendships fell apart over the years because the lifestyles became so different and separate but I can't in all honesty say that being child-free has ever been a major issue. Or maybe I'm just getting old and forget. Rats. Hate it when that happens.

I have friends of all ages who have children and grandchildren and some with even great grandchildren and of course my life and their lives have been "different". Seems like these days my older friends are helping support their children and grandchildren rather than the kids supporting them in their adage ...

Old 11-05-2011, 03:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To me "childless" and "childfree" are not interchangeable terms. The label "childfree" applies more to a militant movement of fanatics who hate children.
You have totally lost me on that one ... what does that say about the labels "fat free" or "sugar free"? Oh, wait, militant fanatics who ...

Old 11-05-2011, 03:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You have totally lost me on that one ...
Well, it's pretty simple... I don't have children, either, but I don't refer to myself as childfree, don't look for other childfree people, don't post threads on forums for such validation or participate in forums specifically created to discuss this topic, and I'm not disgusted by children. All of the above-mentioned applies to that label as it's been evident here many times before.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
35 year old childless single guy here. Well, It has not affected my dating life personally, And women a bit younger then me seem to like this actually, As Im considered a "blank slate" so to speak. I have not experienced any pressure, Only a bit of surprise from some people. As far as viewing others, Well I have always felt each person's world and their views should be shaped by them, And respected. Many men I know in a similar demographic to me are the same. For my high school folks form back in the day, Most guys who got married and had kids became divorced. I think the high divorce rate takes away al ot of the motivation in many cases.

Though sometimes, At night, I wonder what it would be like to have the whole family thing. We all know those nights, The relaxing ones where we ponder the past, present and future, and the mysterious and mundane.
That is good that being childfree has not affected your dating life. It is good that so many different types of lifestyles are more accepted today, then say, 40 -50 years ago.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We're child-free for about another 2 to 3 weeks. Lol.

We don't go out much anyway (been there, done that, *snore*), so we don't expect much of a lifestyle change. People are always like, "Oh, they are going to change your life and tie you down." Really? Because we are so freewheeling? Not. We work, we work out (we have our own home gym), we stay at home. We socialize with people mostly at home (theirs or ours). Traveled the world already, eaten at the best restaurants all over the globe, prefer watching movies on our big screen...we love football games, but we only to to 2 or 3 a year as it is.

Life will be fine.
Yeah life will be fine. Good to see things are working out for you.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:17 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, it's pretty simple... I don't have children, either, but I don't refer to myself as childfree, don't look for other childfree people, don't post threads on forums for such validation or participate in forums specifically created to discuss this topic, and I'm not disgusted by children. All of the above-mentioned applies to that label as it's been evident here many times before.
Agreed 10-fold. I have no children, it doesn't affect who I hang out with, who I date, or people's opinions of me.

It's really a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships