Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,509,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Didn't we have something like that happen a few years back, someone was posting and then the spouse came on board about a year later and found the thread (or I guess it could have all been made up). Where's the vets on here, anyone remember?
I think I recall that the husband is now 1st soprano in the Vienna Boys Eunuch Choir!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,990,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A her side/his side forum, one where one person posts a complaint or a problem, and then we get to hear the other person's side of the story. I mean, it seems like some of these posts are so outrageous or contain so many buried truths that I'd love to hear what the other person has to say about matters. I'm guessing that it wouldn't be all that one sided. As it stands, here is how it seems to go on posts:

1) OP posts problem.
2) Other posters sympathize at first.
3) However, if sympathy is not forthcoming, then OP ladles on more sad details.
4) Other posters then offer more sympathy and advice.
5) OP, not liking advice, then trickles out even more details that will, hopefully, generate the desired result--namely the advice the OP was hoping for in the first place.
6) Other posters then start posting dissenting opinions, then arguing with each other, deconstructing the OP almost in talmudic detail.
7) Another poster says something funny, and the thread devolves into arguing and bickering.

Instead, if there was The Other Side Of The Story, I bet it would be a lot more fun.
In this setting, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. I read a post, and I reply in accordance with the information given.

You're only hurting yourself if you choose to ignore vital information that could make or break the story, simply because you desperately seek validation for lackluster behaviour.

In addition, it's rude to accuse a poster of lying based on one's gut instinct, without actual evidence suggesting otherwise. Forum etiquette 101.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,701,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
In this setting, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. I read a post, and I reply in accordance with the information given.

You're only hurting yourself if you choose to ignore vital information that could make or break the story, simply because you desperately seek validation for lackluster behaviour.

In addition, it's rude to accuse a poster of lying based on one's gut instinct, without actual evidence suggesting otherwise. Forum etiquette 101.
Agree. Very good points. The OP could certainly benefit from your last point.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,108,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A her side/his side forum, one where one person posts a complaint or a problem, and then we get to hear the other person's side of the story. I mean, it seems like some of these posts are so outrageous or contain so many buried truths that I'd love to hear what the other person has to say about matters. I'm guessing that it wouldn't be all that one sided. As it stands, here is how it seems to go on posts:

1) OP posts problem.
2) Other posters sympathize at first.
3) However, if sympathy is not forthcoming, then OP ladles on more sad details.
4) Other posters then offer more sympathy and advice.
5) OP, not liking advice, then trickles out even more details that will, hopefully, generate the desired result--namely the advice the OP was hoping for in the first place.
6) Other posters then start posting dissenting opinions, then arguing with each other, deconstructing the OP almost in talmudic detail.
7) Another poster says something funny, and the thread devolves into arguing and bickering.

Instead, if there was The Other Side Of The Story, I bet it would be a lot more fun.
Your above list is pretty accurate as far as depicting the shifts and twists a thread often times undergoes, but you left out one last, very important, but albeit maddening occurence:

8) Closed for Mod review. This can happen not only because the thread has indeed strayed hopelessly from its original intent, but also if the Mods (who are many times unemployed, therefore hungry-to-exert-power, egomaniacs) merely happen to disagree with the opinions being voiced.

Anyone want to bet me a dollar that I get slapped with an infraction for this?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Your above list is pretty accurate as far as depicting the shifts and twists a thread often times undergoes, but you left out one last, very important, but albeit maddening occurence:

8) Closed for Mod review. This can happen not only because the thread has indeed strayed hopelessly from its original intent, but also if the Mods (who are many times unemployed, therefore hungry-to-exert-power, egomaniacs) merely happen to disagree with the opinions being voiced.

Anyone want to bet me a dollar that I get slapped with an infraction for this?
lol. Wait we are not to talk about them or their actions.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM

29,773 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
I have thought the same. Its often the same old story with the relationship issue. With the OPer doing everything perfectly and the other party all at fault lol.
Yep. There have been a couple of people recently with such crazy stories that they were entirely innocent victims of that I've thought that I'd love to hear their ex's take on the situation.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,757,153 times
I may be wrong but didn't that happen a couple years back with a poster named drjones (something like that) who loved to bikeride with a woman and they would fix their bikes together and all of that then the wife came on with her story?
I think it made for a really uncomfortable thread.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:06 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
It might be best to keep the spouse and boyfriend/girlfriend separate?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,757,153 times
I found it..this went on and on

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-didnt-do.html

Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM

17,648 posts, read 22,693,432 times
It seems like some of the OP's here, may have multiple personalities.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships