Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Why it is crappy being older.

Life kept me really busy since my divorce. That's another story, and not the focus of my post here.

I was busy going to school, earning a living, supporting my kids. I didn't have much time for any social life, especially when I worked nights and weekends. Or when I had to move 3 times in 10 years to stay employed.

In the decade I have been divorced, I have had very few dates. I find it very hard to meet men, so, online dating seemed like a good idea. Bad idea. Lots of gameplayers and marrieds on them. I found that now that I am over 50, no one contacts me. I get told I look young for my age. I don't have man hair. I haven't lost my, ahem, drive.

But no one contacts me because they can't get past the age. I looked at a lot of the profiles of men +/- 10 years of my age. Okay, not to be critical, but I will be critical, because this is the same criteria they use...they look old. And they are rejecting me. Do they really think they are going to get someone who would be their daughter's age to date them? Maybe if they have tons of money, but that is a whole other game, the golddigger.

When I try to contact someone, I get rejected, bounced, because I am not the right age for their parameters.

It pains me to think I might go to my grave not ever really knowing and loving a man, or being loved back. I always thought it was something that would happen in life. I wonder if anyone falls in love anymore, or is it simply lust.

All of this screening, long, scripted profiles...seems to somehow take away from the sheer enjoyment of trying to meet someone.

Someone sees one little thing, and bingo, they move on. Like a kid in a candy store, the ribbon candy comes in about 50 flavors and colors. He just can't make up his mind. And he just can't chose one, because something better just might come along.

I wonder if others feel like I do. I hear that the divorce rate is 50%, but I don't see 50% of the adults from 21 to 99 as singles. Everyone seems to be married. Men say they don't want to be "tied down", "lose their freedom", etc., but how come so many are married? Just to have kids?

There is nothing wrong with me. I don't have a third eye. I am intelligent and a decent person. I am traditional, but I get the feeling that gets interpreted to mean dull or boring, and I don't think I am. I am not trying to brag, this is just my own assessment of me.

Where are the decent people? Please don't say "church" because churches are families, and nothing is colder than being around a lot families when you are single.

Is it a lost cause for anyone over 50?
Online dating isn't a good venue for older women who look younger than their age, because people can automatically screen out certain ages, and even if they don't, they can look at your profile and see your age. Real life dating is better for someone like you. Your work schedule is tricky to deal with, but you could do volunteer activities during the day, and go to daytime events.

pssst--don't tell anyone I suggested this, but if it's true you look younger than your age, you could try running a profile with a new photo, and put your age down as 45, and see what happens. Just as an experiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,288,824 times
I'm nearly 47 and my love life has never been better.

I have men friends, wanna be lovers, real lovers.

This weekend alone I was taken out twice for meals...both men younger than me, although not by much. There are just as many single divorced and lonely men out there as there are women.

You must be going to the wrong places! Or there's something on your profiles that is off putting in other ways?

Cougars are VALUED, where I live. Every young guy wants one. I often get contact requests from 25 year olds despite the fact my parameters are 35-60.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I talked to a guy today, age 90...he says he is worn out at senior dances...there are only three guys there for twenty women! He says it took him this long to become a ladies man...and he is not gonna waste a minute of it!
Wow, what a great example of someone who never gives up! We have guys 1/3 his age who say they've given up, but this guy's having a blast! Of course, the numbers are way in his favor at that age...

Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,692,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I talked to a guy today, age 90...he says he is worn out at senior dances...there are only three guys there for twenty women! He says it took him this long to become a ladies man...and he is not gonna waste a minute of it!

That is so neat! And I bet he is just the cutest thing!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 AM

896 posts, read 1,480,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I found that now that I am over 50, no one contacts me.
Is it a lost cause for anyone over 50?
And there you have it ladies. The number one reason you don't **** away your precious 40's on some thirty something with no kids, who doesn't want your kids, and won't want you at 50+ anyway.

The guys who would have kept you will have moved on by the time you hit 50.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:42 PM

48,632 posts, read 35,099,152 times
[quote=MsAnnThrope;25220012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
And there you have it ladies. The number one reason you don't **** away your precious 40's on some thirty something with no kids, who doesn't want your kids, and won't want you at 50+ anyway.

The guys who would have kept you will have moved on by the time you hit 50.[/quote]

And here we have another man, assuming all us women want is a man to "keep" us.

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. Especially an OLD man.
Meh. Just another of those "you women will pay for overlooking me now, when you get old. You'll be sorryyyy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships