Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM

32 posts, read 79,242 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

my boyfriend broke up with me saying that basically he did not love me anymore. Fair enough but I still love him, miss him and think about him constantly (especially at nights)...

Everyone just told me to move on and get over him, and as much as I love the idea, I just seem incapable of doing that...So i figured I need some symbolic thing to do or say or anything, something to help me to close this chapter.

If you know what I mean and if you have any ideas that worked for you or someone you know, please share! Any advice is very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashaROL View Post
Hi everyone,

my boyfriend broke up with me saying that basically he did not love me anymore. Fair enough but I still love him, miss him and think about him constantly (especially at nights)...

Everyone just told me to move on and get over him, and as much as I love the idea, I just seem incapable of doing that...So i figured I need some symbolic thing to do or say or anything, something to help me to close this chapter.

If you know what I mean and if you have any ideas that worked for you or someone you know, please share! Any advice is very much appreciated!
Still got any of his possessions? If you have clothes left over, or pictures, burn hem or throw them away. Or something.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM

151 posts, read 206,193 times
In my honest opinion. I don't feel that any advice given is going to work. Everyone is different. While I could give you my advice, it may not work for you personally. It is just going to take time. How long were y'all together? I was with my ex for 2.5 years and it took me almost a full year if not more to get over him completely.

The best advice I can give you is just surround yourself with your friends and try and have a good time. It may not be easy at first but eventually things will be okay and you will be able to move on.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,671 times
Delete contact info, remove him as a friend on Facebook, get rid of pictures, etc. If he gave you a gift you enjoy, put it away somewhere until you're not thinking about him as much. The fewer things that cause you to think about him or about contacting him, the better.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,745,758 times
I personally believe 'closure' is simply an overused psychobable term. Sometimes we just have to accept life has changed and we suck it up and move on. There are plenty more fish in the sea, he is not the only man on the planet.

Go out with your friends, buy new clothes, have fun. He'll become a memory of just one of your ex'es sooner or later.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:51 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
You already got closure...from him. Now it's up to you be a big girl and move on. You have to learn acceptance. Meanwhile, do not have any sort of contact with him, otherwise it just takes that much longer to get over him. No phone calls, texts, emails, etc. No Facebook or keeping stuff around that reminds you of him. Get rid or or stash away any photos, letters, cards, gifts or other momentos lying around that remind you of him.

Then, start spending time with friends. Get out of the house and keep your mind occupied and stay active. Explore new places and people in your life.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,717,169 times
I agree to get rid of any ex stash stuff you have. Then just do what you do daily. If you have extra time find something new to do. And I personally prefer burning ex's stuff in a safe legal manner. LOL Nothing crazy. Something about watching in burn though that makes it feel so over.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,360,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Still got any of his possessions? If you have clothes left over, or pictures, burn hem or throw them away. Or something.
OP dont listen to a word Jordan has said. Return his stuff to him in a box and be done with it. Burning or throwing it away is not the way to go. As the others have said, you just have to come to terms with reality. Cry if that is what it takes, but you must bounce back quickly and move on with your life.

Best of luck

%

Old 12-06-2011, 02:31 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashaROL View Post
Hi everyone,

I agree that what-ever advice given might not be what is best for you, but one thing is for sure, and that is it does take time. One day you will wake up and be okay with this situation. Then, at some other point in the future, you will wake up and realize that you haven't thought about him in a while.

While everyone has their own rituals and circumstances that indicate closure to them personally, the best thing to keep in mind is what is really going on here: that you are still into this guy, but he no longer loves you. And that hurts. In your mind, you want to hold on just in case [err, in hope] that he changes his mind and wants to get back together. In your mind, you essentially believe that if you let go, if you get closure, you will somehow sabotage that future event....an event that is not going to happen anyways. So that makes you feel like you are betraying the love you have for him, and in a way, him.

In reality you are only betraying yourself by not allowing yourself to move on. The only way you can truly get closure is to let go. Tell yourself you love him, remind yourself that he already let go of you, and that you are a good person who needs to get on with her life, then move forward.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:38 PM

513 posts, read 897,846 times
have sex with his best friend or his brother. if you can't have him, that is the next best thing.

all kidding aside, just try to find something else to think about when he crosses your mind. get rid of anything of his(give it back or burn it your choice) and things he gave you should be put up out of sight. delete him from your phone/FB/etc and just move on with your life.

the best thing to do is to NOT sit around feeling sorry for yourself. go have fun with friends, go on a date, paint the house, wash the car, whatever it takes to keep your mind off it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships