Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times

Advertisements

Okay so I'm asking out this girl on a date when she gets back in town. I'm debating on whether to ask her out to lunch or dinner. Lunch might be easier since I know she's gonna be interning in DC and I'm in DC for most of winter break, whereas dinner would be tougher since she'd be back on campus. And I don't have a car which makes the logistics trickier

My friend and I were talking about this and he thinks I ought to go with the dinner date because it definitely conveys the "I'm interested in you romantically" message while a lunch date can be misconstrued to mean "you seem like a potentially good friend, let's get some food." If that makes any sense to y'all.

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:46 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
lunch date = friend zone

If you want to bang her, don't take her out to dinner. Hang out with her somewhere, once you've banged her then you can decide if you want to "invest" in something like dinner. She might not be that interesting or worth it to begin with.

You can chill with her out in the day, but stay away from "safe" venues like lunch or coffee. You can't really build any type of sexual atmosphere with these venues. Your basically setting yourself up to be labeled as that nice guy supplying her ego with attention (and getting no @zz).

I'm curious to hear more about the logistics of your situation, that seems to be where your problem is.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I'm very certain she ain't the type who puts out before being in a relationship. Nor am I, lol.

As for logistics, here it goes: we both live in College Park, MD. There are no bus lines that go directly from my house to her apartment. Even the university shuttles don't; I have to transfer to another bus on campus. Which isn't a big deal except during the weekends when the shuttles near my house don't run. Our places ain't too far from each other either but this is a pretty sketchy town and she definitely wouldn't wanna walk home alone at night.

tl;dr life would be easier with a car.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Okay so I'm asking out this girl on a date when she gets back in town. I'm debating on whether to ask her out to lunch or dinner. Lunch might be easier since I know she's gonna be interning in DC and I'm in DC for most of winter break, whereas dinner would be tougher since she'd be back on campus. And I don't have a car which makes the logistics trickier

My friend and I were talking about this and he thinks I ought to go with the dinner date because it definitely conveys the "I'm interested in you romantically" message while a lunch date can be misconstrued to mean "you seem like a potentially good friend, let's get some food." If that makes any sense to y'all.

Thoughts?
my vote is for neither. i don't like eating on dates, for several reasons. i like to either go do something, or go for drinks.

if you must eat, make it a novelty. i took a recent first date to go eat some gator tails.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 AM

733 posts, read 1,663,318 times
Show her that you are interested in both options, and let her pick.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,273 times
how abt just a drink somewhere first? do you have to eat? but yeah, avoid daytime stuff like lunch or coffee, that's for friends only

Old 12-22-2011, 08:06 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Nothing wrong with going out to dinner, but a drink is a good call too.

Couple drinks and some chloroform and you shouldn't have any probs

Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post

If you want to bang her, don't take her out to dinner. Hang out with her somewhere, once you've banged her then you can decide if you want to "invest" in something like dinner.
What is it that some people has to make everything a filthy sex game?

OP: lunch is more informal and usually short, while dinner could be quite romantic and there is no time pressure. After dinner you could go to movie, or have drink in a bar, or just a nice stroll in the park...

Old 12-22-2011, 08:14 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
In my opinion, lunch is not a bad way to get to know someone a little better too. If you really don't know her well, taking her out for a lunch isn't a bad way. I also don't agree with this friend zone idea, you don't have to have sex on the first time you meet a girl to have a chance at a relationship.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Lunch = Cheaper
Dinner = Wallet burner

And actually, women look better at night becoz male vision degrades with the sunset. Lunch's the best time to scope her slope, gradient and elasticity coefficient. You'll never make mistakes at lunch. Male judgement is far far better during the day. And you get to go work out or do other chores for the rest of the evening, not waste it on a woman.

Unless you're the serial shagging type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships