Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
When you don't use emoticons, not everybody knows it's a joke, which I hope it is...
If somebody doesn't know it's a joke, then they should probably not date at all, resorting to an arranged marriage instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
i'll save the coupons for when we're seeing each other and she knows I'm just being fiscally responsible and not a cheapskate

Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
i'll save the coupons for when we're seeing each other and she knows I'm just being fiscally responsible and not a cheapskate
I think I'd wait until you've been married ten or so years.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
:s

even if it's a 50% off coupon for a restaurant that normally costs $200 a head?

Old 12-23-2011, 10:22 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If somebody doesn't know it's a joke, then they should probably not date at all, resorting to an arranged marriage instead.
Well, to many it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion , as you should know from experience, too.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:03 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,399,834 times
I've read that people think coffee and lunch dates are bad first dates in a couple of threads. I don't think so. I mean, it should progress to more serious things if you are both interested, but these seem like good ways to get to know someone gradually.

The only problem with coffee is that, when you don't know someone at all - say someone you met via an online dating site, it can be hard to keep up small talk. It sort of depends on the people involved. Two shy people with nothing else to focus on except each other can have a fairly painful experience. I had this experience, but I had also exchanged a few emails with the guy and his profile revealed so much about his personality that I still wanted to get to know him better.

And as far as these kinds of dates being considered more "friendship" oriented as opposed to "romantically" oriented, shouldn't people try to start out as friends before they become seriously involved? I don't mean that you can't get more serious fairly quickly, but gee, wouldn't it be a good idea to at least know a little about them before you plunge into a relationship?

Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM

26 posts, read 21,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Okay so I'm asking out this girl on a date when she gets back in town. I'm debating on whether to ask her out to lunch or dinner. Lunch might be easier since I know she's gonna be interning in DC and I'm in DC for most of winter break, whereas dinner would be tougher since she'd be back on campus. And I don't have a car which makes the logistics trickier

My friend and I were talking about this and he thinks I ought to go with the dinner date because it definitely conveys the "I'm interested in you romantically" message while a lunch date can be misconstrued to mean "you seem like a potentially good friend, let's get some food." If that makes any sense to y'all.

Thoughts?
Lunch? Dinner? Who cares? Not much difference, really.

But here's the deal: the best-case scenario is when a dinner date extends into a breakfast in bed date.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:10 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,318,001 times
Funny, I went on a lunch date this afternoon. Was the 3rd time I've seen this girl, who I met online. Only reason we did a day thing is because she lives an hour away and was already here in Denver staying with her friends last night, and needed to drive back before it got dark. We were both off from work today. Right at the end as I took her back to her car, I got the same old "you're a great guy, but we should just be friends" crap that I've heard time after time again. First lunch date = last date.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Funny, I went on a lunch date this afternoon. Was the 3rd time I've seen this girl, who I met online. Only reason we did a day thing is because she lives an hour away and was already here in Denver staying with her friends last night, and needed to drive back before it got dark. We were both off from work today. Right at the end as I took her back to her car, I got the same old "you're a great guy, but we should just be friends" crap that I've heard time after time again. First lunch date = last date.
Man, third time is when you should be laying it on thick. That's NOT when you should be having a lunch date. The problem isn't the question of a lunch date. It is one of timing.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,318,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Man, third time is when you should be laying it on thick. That's NOT when you should be having a lunch date. The problem isn't the question of a lunch date. It is one of timing.
Well I'm not that great at reading other people's minds. Maybe she wasn't that into me from the beginning? It's one of the pitfalls of online dating as compared to meeting someone in the real world and asking them out. She's the one that suggested this lunch thing, not me. I wanted to get together last night, but she was with her girlfriends (or at least that's what the story was). Last two times I drove up to Fort Collins, so I figured this would be a good opportunity to see her since she was here in town. OR-- you think there still would have been a chance had this not happened? In the future, I should demand night-only 3rd dates or forget it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships