Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:44 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Well I broke up with my girlfriend about a month ago now for the way she acted. I gave her a million chances, and when I broke up it was the final straw and there was just no room in my mind to get passed any of it anymore..

The problem is that she has really been going through efforts to change and be better; which makes it harder, not because i'm considering going back, but she wants to prove it to me so much how she has changed.. and it really just doesn't have any affect on my mind. I feel like she is so wrapped up in regret she just keeps trying harder and harder .. and it just gets a little bit annoying..

She was devastated when I broke things off, I was contacted by her friends and family saying she was depressed and not leaving her room.. which I felt bad, but hey, what can I do?

Is there any way to cut off ties like this without it being too mean? I don't wanna lie and say I already have someone, nor do I want to just completely ignore her.. but if I don't ignore her, will that just be giving false hope in her eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:48 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
What was the behavior you found so offensive you needed to break up?

What is "better" in your context?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
What was the behavior you found so offensive you needed to break up?

What is "better" in your context?
To be very short about it, she was extremely disrespectful. I don't think there's much of a need to say any more since, if I felt the need to break it off, that's really all that matters.

There really is no "better" in my context, because I'm not looking for her to be "better". But better in her context is that she will be much nicer and treat me with respect and not do anything I had brought up over the past year. She said she suddenly looked back on all of it and realized it was wrong and now she will change all of it.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:57 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Well I broke up with my girlfriend about a month ago now for the way she acted. I gave her a million chances, and when I broke up it was the final straw and there was just no room in my mind to get passed any of it anymore..

The problem is that she has really been going through efforts to change and be better; which makes it harder, not because i'm considering going back, but she wants to prove it to me so much how she has changed.. and it really just doesn't have any affect on my mind. I feel like she is so wrapped up in regret she just keeps trying harder and harder .. and it just gets a little bit annoying..

She was devastated when I broke things off, I was contacted by her friends and family saying she was depressed and not leaving her room.. which I felt bad, but hey, what can I do?

Is there any way to cut off ties like this without it being too mean? I don't wanna lie and say I already have someone, nor do I want to just completely ignore her.. but if I don't ignore her, will that just be giving false hope in her eyes?
It is certainly praiseworthy that she is making efforts to change and be better. This not only benefits you but probably benefits her first and foremost. The main reason why anyone changes and improves themselves to a more positive place is so that THEY feel better. Burgler09, it's not as much about you as you think.

And her persistency towards you is because she feels that she will feel better because of it. There is some sense of dependency on you, in her thinking that you have something to offer to her mental place of "lack". Does this make sense?

Ignoring her will probably make her feel worse. I encourage full honesty in this case. Please tell her that you no longer wish to be in a relationship with her and will not change your attitude. Also tell her that you wish the best for her and that she will be in a happy relationship with someone who is even more compatible.

For someone like her who wishes so much for a great relationship, it is surely waiting for her. But to be in a place of allowing it, she must believe in it. Encourage her in that direction. Say your goodbye and give her your sincere hope and good wishes for her life and also for attracting someone new.

Remember that any negative emotion or annoyance or meanness you hold in your mind or enact toward her will probably harm your state of mind far more than it will harm her. So be kind to yourself by being kind to her. Everything will work itself out. Best of luck !

Old 12-28-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
To be very short about it, she was extremely disrespectful. I don't think there's much of a need to say any more since, if I felt the need to break it off, that's really all that matters.

There really is no "better" in my context, because I'm not looking for her to be "better". But better in her context is that she will be much nicer and treat me with respect and not do anything I had brought up over the past year. She said she suddenly looked back on all of it and realized it was wrong and now she will change all of it.
Man, I just apologized to like three people today to feel better. And to one of them, I may have said something regarding the past year. You got me for a second there! But now I know it is purely coincidental.

It's the end of the year and of course people are looking back on the past year...

Old 12-28-2011, 01:02 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
It sounds like you know for sure that it's over forever no matter what she does so...

I've made the mistake of thinking I wanted to be friends after a breakup. It is a mistake. She will not like it at all but you have to cut ties and never speak to her. Basically announce this/warn her and then ignore her and all her attempts to interact with you. Defriend her on Facebook and ignore her friends and family as well. If she has a fit about it, ignore her. Don't go to the same places she does. It will be hard and you'll feel like a jerk but it is the only way and you have warned her. To do otherwise just drags her pain on longer and it will be especially hard (and not in a good way despite what you may think) for her to see you get a new gf when you do. It's better if she just doesn't see that and heals on her own without contact between you two. She needs a new guy to help her heal, not you. you will always be a reminder of her pain as long as you stay in contact and she's not in love with someone else.

Last edited by srjth; 12-28-2011 at 02:00 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
It is certainly praiseworthy that she is making efforts to change and be better. This not only benefits you but probably benefits her first and foremost. The main reason why anyone changes and improves themselves to a more positive place is so that THEY feel better. Burgler09, it's not as much about you as you think.

And her persistency towards you is because she feels that she will feel better because of it. There is some sense of dependency on you, in her thinking that you have something to offer to her mental place of "lack". Does this make sense?
I think this makes sense. So are you saying that while she may be trying really hard to get back with me and prove to me that she has changed, it might not be SO much that she needs to get back with me, but more to make herself feel better about how she was in the relationship and trying to help herself cope with it and feel better? Would it help if I told her that I do notice more change in her and it seems like the work she is doing is really paying off?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I think this makes sense. So are you saying that while she may be trying really hard to get back with me and prove to me that she has changed, it might not be SO much that she needs to get back with me, but more to make herself feel better about how she was in the relationship and trying to help herself cope with it and feel better? Would it help if I told her that I do notice more change in her and it seems like the work she is doing is really paying off?
Yes, certainly. Apologizing and changing makes her definitely reframe her memory and feel better if she happens to think of your previous relationship.

However, you do not want to put yourself in the position of giving her approval, I think. She may be consciously doing it to please you, instead of realizing that she is doing it to please herself. So, by giving her praise for it, she may become dependent on your validation of her good actions in the future. If that makes sense.

I would first say 1) I forgive you. (So that she is off the hook regarding any past hurts) and 2) I admire the changes YOU are making. (giving the power in her hands, acknowledging that SHE is the one doing them) and 3) In this pattern, you will surely find someone who matches your new positive frame of mind. I am confident that you will find someone for you who is a far better match for you than I am.

Therefore you have simultaneously conveyed to her that a relationship with you is not compatible and have given her a sense of hope about the future, which she will hopefully harbor and nurture in her mind.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:55 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
I guess you are unable to define "disrespectful" too.
Maybe she didn't cater to your every whim?
Maybe she didn't treat you like her master?

If you are unable to say what she needed to do to be "better" how could she ever achieve it?
She seems to have batter victim symptoms, of which willing to change whatever to please you.

Seems YOU were the problem in this relationship.

She is MUCH better without you and the sooner she forgets about you the better.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,182 times
Tell her you found someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships