Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,769,706 times

Advertisements

Would women date an unemployed guy?

Unemployment happens all the time to everyone. But when I'm unemployed, I feel like a loser not worthy of a gal. But now I'm nearing 40 and I say, at least I got some youth left! And then I reason, after I was unemployed some time I did become a winner and get a good job. So now I say I should give myself a break and even date women when I'm unemployed. But then I'd have to go dutch and can't pay for them; only for me - gotta be the only way unemployed.

How do you feel about this, women? What were your expereinces?

How about unemployed guys dating experiences too? How the women take it?

It's hard having life on hold unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,312,058 times
I'd say that's the lesser of your problems.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,752,555 times
My neighbor who is a nurse and makes a good living married an unemployed man. He is now working, but before he could find a job, I saw him doing all kinds of work around the house all the time.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
My neighbor who is a nurse and makes a good living married an unemployed man. He is now working, but before he could find a job, I saw him doing all kinds of work around the house all the time.
Yeah, there's a definite difference between being temporarily unemployed and a perpetual bum and it's not hard to see it.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,260,727 times
You're almost 40 and still have periods of unemployment? What kind of work do you do? And when you do work, are you good about saving your money? Since you're almost 40, do you own your own place yet?

I don't mind dating an unemployed guy, but I'm not going to get serious about him. And a lot depends on why he's unemployed, what he's doing to rectify his situation, what he does for work etc... There are some jobs that are seasonal, or by contact. But who wants to get seriously involved with someone that has problems finding work?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,045,315 times
Would a woman date me if I was unemployed and had a Lottery win of £3million?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 PM

Really, is there hope for an unemployed guy to date? I have turned down dating women or hitting on them because of this!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You're almost 40 and still have periods of unemployment? What kind of work do you do? And when you do work, are you good about saving your money? Since you're almost 40, do you own your own place yet?

I don't mind dating an unemployed guy, but I'm not going to get serious about him. And a lot depends on why he's unemployed, what he's doing to rectify his situation, what he does for work etc... There are some jobs that are seasonal, or by contact. But who wants to get seriously involved with someone that has problems finding work?
I'm a BSME; worked as a Proe Designer Detailer, Technical Writer, or some light engineering. Never had a job last longer than 1 year 1 month.

My last job was my best; Jacobs ESCG, NASA's primary engineering contractor. Made good money at $32.10 /hr. Only lasted 10 months because of a slowdown in NASA stuff. Could have been 10 years! Blew lots of money, but was trying to save $16,000 for a BMW 330ci.

I will inherit an $850,000 home in Wicker Park, Chicago. So in Chicago, I live at home rent free. I'm in a mode now where I go to good jobs at good companies in good cities around America, so I rent and try to only have stuff that will fit in a minivan towing a Uhaul trailer.

So I don't know if women will think I'm a good catch. You tell, me, as my Mechanical Engineering degree is from Univ of IL at Urbana - Champaign - 6th best college in the nation for that.

Right now, I'm hoping to get hired at a company I aced an interview at and Proe test. It's $70K/yr working as a Subsea Proe Designer Detailer. If I can work up to a Subsea engineer, that's over $100K/yr!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Would a woman date me if I was unemployed and had a Lottery win of £3million?
I'm not biased towards people of independent means as long as they're not on the "most wanted" list.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,260,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm a BSME; worked as a Proe Designer Detailer, Technical Writer, or some light engineering. Never had a job last longer than 1 year 1 month.

My last job was my best; Jacobs ESCG, NASA's primary engineering contractor. Made good money at $32.10 /hr. Only lasted 10 months because of a slowdown in NASA stuff. Could have been 10 years! Blew lots of money, but was trying to save $16,000 for a BMW 330ci.

I will inherit an $850,000 home in Wicker Park, Chicago. So in Chicago, I live at home rent free. I'm in a mode now where I go to good jobs at good companies in good cities around America, so I rent and try to only have stuff that will fit in a minivan towing a Uhaul trailer.

So I don't know if women will think I'm a good catch. You tell, me, as my Mechanical Engineering degree is from Univ of IL at Urbana - Champaign - 6th best college in the nation for that.

Right now, I'm hoping to get hired at a company I aced an interview at and Proe test. It's $70K/yr working as a Subsea Proe Designer Detailer. If I can work up to a Subsea engineer, that's over $100K/yr!
I wish you better luck in your next job. But I'd be a bit bothered by your spending habits during your last job. At your age, you should know better than to be so wasteful with your money. You're not a 25 year old kid any longer.

If you are living rent free at home with your parents right now... well that's another strike against you. lol

Otherwise, it depends on how you approach the dating process. If you are like ajs5mz2 and just want to ask a woman out for a casual good time, then go for it. Keep the outings cheap and lighthearted. You need to sort out your work situation first before finding a S/O. As it is, you have no idea when and where your next job could be. And what woman would want to get serious about a guy who might have to move out of state for a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships