Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 AM

45 posts, read 107,570 times

Advertisements

Last week I went on a date with this guy. He's not really my type but I'm trying to be more open. Anyway, everything about the date went well. He's very cool, smart and seems into me. Only thing that annoyed me was the fact that he's currently unemployed. He actually told me he was happy about it because he's been working and hustling his whole life so it's nice to get a break. He's also been using this time to travel the world (He just got back from visiting about 8 countries).

I'm still hesitating though. I'm not sure whether to give him a chance or not. He seems like a great guy but I definitely think I should keep my options open.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
If a guy was a millionaire would it matter if he had a day job?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:50 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,945,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLili84 View Post
Last week I went on a date with this guy. He's not really my type but I'm trying to be more open. Anyway, everything about the date went well. He's very cool, smart and seems into me. Only thing that annoyed me was the fact that he's currently unemployed. He actually told me he was happy about it because he's been working and hustling his whole life so it's nice to get a break. He's also been using this time to travel the world (He just got back from visiting about 8 countries).

I'm still hesitating though. I'm not sure whether to give him a chance or not. He seems like a great guy but I definitely think I should keep my options open.

Thoughts?
Did you pay for the date? Did you pick him up for the date at his Mom's house?

If not then don't worry about it.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:54 AM

46 posts, read 99,115 times
Yeah people fall on some tough times sometimes, or just get sick of their current job all together. If he saved up enough to travel, than he probably has his financial situation together, which is a good sign. I'd focus on what his future goals are, and like the others said, if he seems stagnant (like living with mom) or too lax about it.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
When I first met my bf he was unemployed, and waiting for arbitration to get his job back. To me the main question is what is he doing with the time? Does he have enough savings to take time off and travel around, or is he putting everything on credit cards and hoping for the best? Does this guy have a career in which it is easy to get another job, how long is he planning to wait, etc? I don't see any problem with going out with him again to get to know him and to get a sense of whether he has a handle on it and is taking responsibility, but keep your eyes open and ask questions.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
If he wasn't my type AND unemployed, I definitely wouldn't date him. He'd have to be really hot to make up for not having a job and he'd have to be a student or something.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:41 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,627,193 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I'd rather be bothered with the "traveling" part than the unemployment. But take note that I'd not really require a double-earner household (but you never know!), that part is optional. But being employed means a lot about the person, in some way. There are various circumstances about the woman and what she does with her life in general. Being unemployed 30 y/o "second-year student" without a single workday of experience and partying/hanging around is a big NO in my book.

Take note that I'm traveling only when it's very necessary and this generally relates to my work/income, not going to Bahamas for fun or traveling around the world. Not that type, it causes me unpleasant feeling each time I travel and break my usual habits. I have certain place(s) where I go on vacation regularly and I like it enough, it's quite pleasant place and I don't like the notion of having much attention or turbulences in my private life. I'm rather a type of a guy who would buy the house for vacation and visit the same place for 20 years each year than the type of a guy who wants to visit various countries and travel around. If someone is the latter type, it signals that they aren't my type and we wouldn't work well together.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Well, if he's traveling the world, he obviously has some money. I was unemployed for 2 years and busting my a*s to find a new job. I was also trying to date and completely embarrassed about my situation. I didn't date as much because of this, but I want to be married, so I was (and still am) looking. I think in this day and age, you should give him a chance. The economy is NOT good. I work in an industry that tracks whats going on in the economy (not an economist, but might as well be). The unemployment rate is still high. If this guy is educated and has a plan for his future, you should give him a chance.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If he wasn't my type AND unemployed, I definitely wouldn't date him. He'd have to be really hot to make up for not having a job and he'd have to be a student or something.
Thats a shame, especially in this economy. Thats why I gave up dating when I was unemployed. Of course, even though I'm working in a great job now, I'm still not dating because I can't find what I'm looking for in my new city.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:24 AM

43 posts, read 189,006 times
I would as long as they work on finding a decent job or go to school for an education. I wouldn't mind paying to go out, but they sure as hell wouldn't be smothered financially for luxury items or tuition if they were attention college.

Unemployment is typically a temporary issue unless they really don't give a damn about their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships