Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 05:37 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,255 times

Advertisements

My girls and I ALWAYS hold hands if we're walking back from some place in heels after a night of dancing. Tipsy, sober...doesn't matter our feet usually hurt from heels so we need to hold onto each other. And I feel like I see lots of other women do the same.

Last night my friend and I walked back from our friends' bar and got into the elevator at our hotel. We got in behind 3 tispy women who had thick Southern accents.

The one goes "Are ya'all together?"

So we thought she just meant, together as in, did we know each other.

Then I notice she was staring at us holding hands...and she goes really loud "Are Ya'all gay?"

I literally started cracking up. Her friends were all apologetic. We were totally not insulted, we just thought it was the funniest thing ever.

We always figured all women hold hands, now we are wondering if maybe that's not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 11:43 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,797 times
Yes they do I just chalk that one up to her being drunk.

Lots of women here hold hands although maybe 50% here are homosexual.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:50 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
You know, come to think of it, I don't see many straight women holding hands. Although of course, you'd never really know if two people holding hands are straight or gay unless you asked. As a whole however, I rarely see two women holding hands. I DO oftentimes see women with arms interlocked, especially during a wild night out where oftentimes they'll link up three or four together, forming a large, fast-moving, giggling and yapping wall of drunkenness that takes over an entire sidewalk.

If I were to see two women holding hands however, I wouldn't think much of it. I wouldn't necessarily think they were gay.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,291 times
Originally from up north and when we would be comming home from clubs the girls would alwayd interlock or hold hands, sometimes even shopping in the winters down State St. None of us were gay.

Now I live in South Florida and I dont see that here so maybe it depends if you live North or South.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:12 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
Just depends on where you are from and the customs. We do here of course, and nothing thought of it, other than "girlfriends". And we have a nice hispanic culture, very touching oriented, and see they do as well. Is nice to still see that display of affection, without any snide remarks made.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:24 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
When I lived in NJ and would go out with friends we would hold hands when walking through a crowd. We didn't stand around holding hands but at least at some point in the night we did hold hands. We also hug when we see each other and say I love you. None of us are lesbians we are just close.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:38 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,915 times
I've noticed quite a few women holding hands, and I am positive a very small percentage ofthem were gay. Not only is it cultural as remarked above, but it could be within close families and also very close girlfriends. I personally only have one friend that is that friendly of a person, which I guess is kind of sad. Even my sister hates it when women try to dance with her, myself included. She thinks any women that tries to do that is acting gay.
Wouldn't hurt her to "open her mind" a little if you ask me.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:22 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
Many European women here in Chicago hold hands while walking. I see this all of the time. I have a friend that born in Europe and we've held hands before. As previously stated, it's customary in some cultures.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:38 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,906 times
Do not see this much in the Denver area here.

What would people say if 2 guys after a bar would hold hands. I do not think this would be just for "friendship support."

The fact is that people from different areas would think differently regarding your situation.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:56 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
My girlfriends and I give hugs all the time, it doesnt have to mean anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships