Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM

431 posts, read 474,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Cupcake View Post
I wouldn't consider those good examples. Why didn't he mention, Actpr Robert Deniro, former secretary of defense William Cohen, film critic Roger Ebert, or singer David Bowie?
how about that creep oj simpson what color are his kids ????

Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 PM

89 posts, read 138,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
how about that creep oj simpson what color are his kids ????

Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,740,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Here's a safe bet...if he is ok with dating you (and thinks that you are marriage material) then he most likely will not have a problem with mixed race children.

Side note: You seem obsessed with the notion of having "mixed race" babies.
I think society is tough on mixed children. Blacks have there identity, and so do whites. But, bi-racial children are kind of stuck in the middle. I've seen mixed girls, who had problems styling their hair, because it was different from "straight" white hair, or "coarse" black hair.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,553,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I think society is tough on mixed children. Blacks have there identity, and so do whites. But, bi-racial children are kind of stuck in the middle. I've seen mixed girls, who had problems styling their hair, because it was different from "straight" white hair, or "coarse" black hair.

Black hair is not "coarse"

Afro-textured hair runs the gamut from tightly curled (coiled) to lightly wavy (even naturally straight)

Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,855,937 times
Quote:
It all depends what they are mixed with.
Asian/white mixed children don't seem to have problems.
Maybe they do,but sometimes its not as easy to notice them physically,because most end up looking Caucasian.
Like Kate and Jon's kids.

However,I still don't think white/mixed children have it hard.
I think really dark skinned children have it harder,whether they are black american,Tamil,or Jewish.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Cupcake View Post
I'm a black woman and very curious about whether non black guys tend to avoid interracial marriages with black women because they do not want mixed children?

I guess white guys view Asian and Hispanic women as a safe bet, because the children produced from those unions will still look fairly white, while the child will more than likely be darker if created with a black woman. I think this definitely plays a role in the low IR rates between black women and non black men. What are your thoughts?
I wonder what an Australian aboriginal/black african mixed baby(same skin color,different culture and race)by would look like?
Would they even be considered mixed?

Same with a dark Tamil and an African? Is that considered mixed even though both parents have the same skin color?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,740,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Black hair is not "coarse"

Afro-textured hair runs the gamut from tightly curled (coiled) to lightly wavy (even naturally straight)
If blacks don't have coarse hair, then how do you explain all the grease they put in it, and all the perms they use to straighten, or "relax" it? Child please! You don't know how many times I've heard AA people say, "get over here so I can comb that rough stuff", to beautiful black children, with long, "nappy" hair. I think it's safe to say, blacks have a wide range of hair textures e.g. coarse, straight, curly or wavy.

Though the texture may vary, there are some similarities that make African-American hair different from other types. In general, the hair contains less water, grows more slowly, and breaks more easily than Caucasian or Asian hair. Black peoples hair needs to be washed every 7-10 days, because bacteria can grow on the scalp without regular cleansing. Many women are worried about stripping the hair of moisture when they wash (in addition to the time-consuming ordeal of styling). I suggest lathering with a moisturizing shampoo designed for normal or dry hair, and following with a moisturizing conditioner.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-24-2012 at 02:25 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
If blacks don't have coarse hair, then how do you explain all the grease they put in it, and all the perms they use to straighten, or "relax" it? Child please! You don't know how many times I've heard AA people say, "get over here so I can comb that rough stuff", to beautiful black children, with long, "nappy" hair. I think it's safe to say, blacks have a wide range of hair textures e.g. coarse, straight, curly or wavy.

Though the texture may vary, there are some similarities that make African-American hair different from other types. In general, the hair contains less water, grows more slowly, and breaks more easily than Caucasian or Asian hair. Black peoples hair needs to be washed every 7-10 days, because bacteria can grow on the scalp without regular cleansing. Many women are worried about stripping the hair of moisture when they wash (in addition to the time-consuming ordeal of styling). I suggest lathering with a moisturizing shampoo designed for normal or dry hair, and following with a moisturizing conditioner.
It doesn't grow more slowly;rather,its just harder for that type of hair to actually retain the length due to the twists and turns of the curls.
I don't think its course.
I haven't heard of hair grease in a while.
Most don't put all that heavy grease in anymore,because that was shown to harm the hair.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 AM

25,982 posts, read 22,176,776 times
My son married a lady from the Philippines. She had a child who is 100% Filipino and they have a child together and that child does not look "white". My son accepts both of these children as his own and is proud to be their father. I had a friend whose mother was white and her father black. She had a set of twins (boy & girl) one very light and one extremely dark. I'm guessing a lot of you didn't do a lot in the area of biology and how heredity plays into skin color, etc. I don't think that just because a white guy would date a black lady that means he would be fine in marrying her and/or having a child with her and keep in mind that his and her family will have an opinion that they will freely share. I have seen this with adoption also where some don't mind race/color and others (with problems in my opinion) care about little else. Another factor is environment and how acceptable the practice of interracial marriage is and how strong the individual is to stand up to the pressure. Guess it all depends on the individual doesn't it?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,767,621 times
Caucasian guy here -- no problems whatsoever with having mixed children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.