Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times

Advertisements

I'm a white guy who married a Black girl, everything has been going good not to many problems, but I was kind of curious which family had the hardest time, or most difficulty accepting this. I ask because my wife said that her family had a talk to her when she stopped dating black men. It hasn't been in an issue in our marriage, I'm just curious what others have noticed in these types of relationships.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
I am lucky. I'm a black woman who married a white man and my family had no problems with it. It dated white men before so it was no shocker.

For my husband, his biggest fear was telling his father when we were dating. His grandfather didn't believe in interracial dating and his father told him he'd be disowned if he married outside of his race. He waited until he was ready to propose to tell his father about me (his father lives out of state and they hadn't spoke in a few years) and by some blessing his 60-something father said it didn't matter, as long as he's happy and gave his blessing. A month later we were engaged and I went to meet his father who has been the sweetest, most lovable dad-in-law ever.

My family loves him and his loves me. We are very blessed.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I'm a white guy who married a Black girl, everything has been going good not to many problems, but I was kind of curious which family had the hardest time, or most difficulty accepting this. I ask because my wife said that her family had a talk to her when she stopped dating black men. It hasn't been in an issue in our marriage, I'm just curious what others have noticed in these types of relationships.
White guy here, coupled with a Mexican girl. Neither of our families have said anything openly to us about us being an interracial couple; they don't even make any jokes about it (and we've been together for almost four years). I suspect that both our families would be less tolerant if either of us were black, though, sad to say. But two of her sisters have said they would never date a white guy?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I'm Asian and married a white woman. Our parents had no problems with it. The only objection was from her grandmother, who never voiced anything to me, but sent my then fiancée articles of how Asians beat their wives until her father put a stop to it. She eventually came around and told my wife that she was comforted since I would be a good provider and take care of her. I think she figured out that race didn't matter after the events leading up to the divorce of my wife's sister.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM

541 posts, read 941,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I am lucky. I'm a black woman who married a white man and my family had no problems with it. It dated white men before so it was no shocker.

For my husband, his biggest fear was telling his father when we were dating. His grandfather didn't believe in interracial dating and his father told him he'd be disowned if he married outside of his race. He waited until he was ready to propose to tell his father about me (his father lives out of state and they hadn't spoke in a few years) and by some blessing his 60-something father said it didn't matter, as long as he's happy and gave his blessing. A month later we were engaged and I went to meet his father who has been the sweetest, most lovable dad-in-law ever.

My family loves him and his loves me. We are very blessed.
So glad!!! I love seeing interracial couples!!! I am asian woman and dated outside my race white/black/hispanic. : ) Mixed guys are my favorites. How long have you guys been married???

Old 01-25-2012, 03:49 PM

541 posts, read 941,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I'm Asian and married a white woman. Our parents had no problems with it. The only objection was from her grandmother, who never voiced anything to me, but sent my then fiancée articles of how Asians beat their wives until her father put a stop to it. She eventually came around and told my wife that she was comforted since I would be a good provider and take care of her. I think she figured out that race didn't matter after the events leading up to the divorce of my wife's sister.

Your parents didnt have a problem with it???

Old 01-25-2012, 05:02 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
So glad!!! I love seeing interracial couples!!! I am asian woman and dated outside my race white/black/hispanic. : ) Mixed guys are my favorites. How long have you guys been married???
2 years and change. Together for 4.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
Your parents didnt have a problem with it???
Why do you sound so surprised?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:14 PM

663 posts, read 1,081,906 times
Married 17 years, I'm white and my DH is Asian. His mother does not like white women.....so, yah. Guess that explains it. My MIL and I get along well enough at this point but I don't take her seriously, nor do I let her comments bother me. My Asian SIL is married to a white guy and my MIL is a bit nicer to him, but not a lot. I also believe she suffers from "no one will ever be good enough for my kids syndrome," no matter the racial background. Her female friends are always other Asian women and she seems to mostly take issue with white and black women, based on her comments and behavior.

My grandmother is very elderly and quite the bigot. She knows better than to say anything in front of us/our kids but I know how she is. We don't see her often and my DH doesn't care about her bigotry one way or the other. My parents were/are very accepting, never a problem.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I've knew a couple who had a mixed marriage at one point but for some reason the marriage never lasted. I'm talking white/black here. I think pressure from the family had something to do with it. More so from thier so called friend's who thought they should be with someone of thier own race. They never had any children there marriage only last just over a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.