Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 09:50 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times

Advertisements

women are made to be bossy since the day they are born

Old 01-28-2012, 09:51 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
this.....................I see it WAY more in younger couples
I was thinking the same thing. We seem to learn more as we get older how to compromise and, as someone else stated, choose our battles.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:55 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
I wish any woman who wasn't my boss or mother would try to boss me around.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post
I'm a wise older man. And with that I'll say I wouldn't touch this subject with a 10 foot pole! (Notice me quietly slinking out of the room...)
You are a wise man indeed. This is a no-win conversation.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Okaayyy, simmer down now and unclinch that chubby little greasy fried chicken filled fist.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
I agree with the observation of the OP. But I'd have to say in general, that men have gotten more passive. They have a saying around here that a lot of people seem to agree with, men and women. If momma ain't happy, nobodies happy. IE. She ******* and moans to everyone else till she gets her way. Fortunately, I've just gotten more cranky as I've gotten older, and don't let myself get pushed around. Its also fortunate that my wife isn't particularly pushy, but as someone observed, it does seem to be the nature of women. Even back in Genesis, Sara was giving Abraham a bad time several times and he just gave into her.

However, it does also seem that women in general are not as soft spoken and compliant as they used to be. I had one job at a large Fortune 500 company in their HR dept. It was mostly women and I had women bosses and women coworkers. Now my bosses were actually pretty nice ladies and I enjoyed working with them. But the other women in the dept, forget it. I learned I never wanted to work someplace where most of the employees were women again.

Last edited by augiedogie; 01-28-2012 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Forgot something.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Get off that computer and get over here and sit down. RIGHT NOW! Don't make me say this again!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,634 times
Being a middle aged man, mine is still only an opinion that with the womens movement, our society shifted from one that was seen as chauvanistic with men abusing family headship and oppressing women, to one that is gradually shifing to the other direction. I started noticing a while back, how it is cute and funny now, to portray men/husbands as intellectually slow buffoons in movies, TV shows and commercials, who are dumber than their witty, sarcastic wives, and even more inept than the children they helped concieve. It is also politically correct not to refute the words and whim of women if you dont want to be thought of as an awful male [chauvanist] person with a mind. And finally, as was implied above, many men as they mature, decide that they have had enough drama and confrontation, and just dont have any more fight left in them. Especially if they still enjoy nuptuals and more crucially, eating! Lol

Old 01-28-2012, 10:54 AM

56 posts, read 90,053 times
My observations of marriage & family is that its purpose really only serves the woman and the off-spring.
Men don't really need marriages or a family and are more able to live in a hut in the woods, with a very low level of basic existence than most women.
This is why women often control the home and what happens in the couple's social life - the men just really don't care very much but because the woman does, he lets her get on with it.
Soon, in such a scenario, men get effectively "banished" from cetain rooms of the house (They're for visitors don't you know?) and in the extreme form, they end up in a shed at the bottom of their garden, complete with all their hobby paraphernalia.

See here.
Shed Men: Amazon.co.uk: Gareth Jones: 9781843307457: Books
Men And Their Sheds, Information From Sheds.co.uk

The corollary of this is that if the man gives the woman more than 50% control or power in the relationship, the woman can sometimes turn into a matron, a boss or the man's mother.
In such a situation, it shows that the wife has lost respect for her husband and who is now, more or less, a prisoner of his own life.

The solution is not to allow any "I'll let you organize all of that" things in a marriage once you see such signs.
Once you step out of an activity or area of interest/responsibility (and assuming nothing awful happens as a result), you lose any influence or power.

The other point is that both men and women, who have suffered some tragic event in their lives (such as loss of child, career and/or a job, loves ones, various security-based things), often change their behavior and can become unnecessarily defensive and ultra bossy in an attempt to gain back control.

Retirement can also be a trigger.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Being a middle aged man, mine is still only an opinion that with the womens movement, our society shifted from one that was seen as chauvanistic with men abusing family headship and oppressing women, to one that is gradually shifing to the other direction.
I agree with this. The pendulum swinging so far to the other direction isn't good either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggo558 View Post
My observations of marriage & family is that its purpose really only serves the woman and the off-spring.
I hope you realize that women don't need to have offspring any more than men do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships