Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 AM

7 posts, read 5,537 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been a long time reader of the board.

About 12 years ago I was visiting some of my family in the UK. While I was there me and one of family members decided to go out to a local pub and have a few drinks. After a couple I kind of blacked out and ended up waking up the next morning in the flat I was staying at. A couple days later I returned to my home town in the States. A couple weeks after the trip I started seeing this amazing guy, who later turned out to be my hubby. Needless to say, besides my father, he is the most amazing man I have ever met and have been happily married for 10 years.

A month after my vacation I started feeling sick. So I went to the doctor and found out I was pregnet with my lovely son Kyle. He so happens to be autistic so raising him as been a little, difficult, needless to say.

8 days ago, my family member (who I had drinks with) came to my house in tears saying he had to talk to me. So we get to talking and some really nasty stuff came out of the closet about that night we went out. Long story short, he ended up raping me in the alley behind the pub and forced me to marry him. Of course I do not remember any this. Its complicated how he managed to get it all set up though and I really should not post about it on the internet..

So he decided to turn himself in and we are currently getting ready to get a divorce. I am talking to a lawer about the rape. We have managed to keep it between us but Im going to have to tell my husband sooner or later. I really dont want to lose him and would really appreciate any advice on how to break it to him?

Also, this has raised a lot of questions about the father of my son. I have no idea where to begin. This is such a goddamed mess. Any help would be apprecated, I feel like im going to lose it.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Sorry honey, nice try.

I just don't see how your story is logistically possible.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry honey, nice try.

I just don't see how your story is logistically possible.
Me either but it happened. There is nothing I can do to prove it to you without giving up key parts of the investigation and make a bigger mess. I would really appreciate some help and not some one questioning me.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:16 AM

First of all, according the the laws of the UK you can't legally marry someone you are related to.

Secondly, anyone marrying in England or the UK who is not a citizen has to go to England and meet a residency requirement before a license is issued.

And thirdly, it takes at least 15 days to be able to get married in the UK, there are no quickie Las Vegas style weddings allowed.

Getting married

Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaVering View Post
Me either but it happened. There is nothing I can do to prove it to you without giving up key parts of the investigation and make a bigger mess. I would really appreciate some help and not some one questioning me.
Then contact a lawyer, you are being duped.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
First of all, according the the laws of the UK you can't legally marry someone you are related to.

Secondly, anyone marrying in England or the UK who is not a citizen has to go to England and meet a residency requirement before a license is issued.

And thirdly, it takes at least 15 days to be able to get married in the UK, there are no quickie Las Vegas style weddings allowed.

[URL="http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_family/family_index_ew/getting_married.htm#Marrying_in_England_or_Wales_i f_one_part"]Getting married[/URL]
Like I said, its complicated. I wish I can say more.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaVering View Post
Like I said, its complicated. I wish I can say more.
Again, it takes a minimum of 15 days to get married legally in the UK - you said this all happened in one night

"Couples must submit their completed marriage notice forms and any other relevant documents to the Registrar of Marriages in the district where the marriage is to take place.
It is normal to give eight weeks notice. However, you can give a minimum of 14 days notice, although this may mean that the wedding ceremony will have to be postponed. The registrar will issue a marriage schedule. You won't be able to get married without this."

Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Again, it takes a minimum of 15 days to get married legally in the UK - you said this all happened in one night
It did, you just have to take my word for it. I have to countries and a church investigating this misshap. I have to be vague since it is an ongoing investigation. I do not need help with that matter since I have multiple lawers working on my behalf. I just want some advice on how to tell my husband about this since I can not keep it hidden much longer. Thank you.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 AM

Rape is a crime and never the victims fault.

No rape victim should ever be ashamed to tell the people they love about what happened to them.

Picking a private place and time and sharing details as best as is possible is the only way to go when bad news has to be delivered.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 AM

The familly member who did has a dual citizenship due to his parents. The liscence was not from the UK and there was no ceremony. That is all the more info I can say. He spent months preparing for this. There are many loopholes in marriage you have not realized and shouldnt have to. It is much, much more complicated than this. Can I just get some advice PLEASE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships