Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,988,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
I'm almost 30. I'm already set in my ways.
hmmm.....chronologically maybe, but emotionally? I'm sensing 17ish. No offense, just calling it like I see it.

Have you considered discussing your feelings about your parents with a therapist? It could really help you!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,932,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hmmm.....chronologically maybe, but emotionally? I'm sensing 17ish. No offense, just calling it like I see it.

Have you considered discussing your feelings about your parents with a therapist? It could really help you!
Why, because I realize that marriage is a huge scam for a man unless he's unable to do for himself? I'm just calling marriage as I see it.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,262,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
So owners will be better neighbours than renters.

Overall, I agree with you. But what does this have to do with my question?

(unless you're overreaching and saying that a relationship without a piece of paper is akin to renting, which is insane, and not rooted in fact... like not getting married forces people to make terrible decisions like not cutting their lawns and stuff)
Not married, right?

Quote:
What I meant is that she'll guilt trip me until I comply.
As you get older and mature you will learn how to set up boundaries and have your parents comply. Give it time.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Not married, right?

As you get older and mature you will learn how to set up boundaries and have your parents comply. Give it time.
Exactly. This happens at different ages for different people.

My own father could be quite manipulative, so I was older before I could stand up to him.

Because of this I consciously raised my boys to be independent and think for themselves.

Consequently, by age 21 both of them were putting me in my place when I overstepped my bounds, lol. (with love and respect of course!)

Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM

507 posts, read 515,290 times
I dont' believe marriage is pointless. I do believe that is something that I want to do not only because I was raised to believe in marriage, but I do believe that does show that you are committed to one another and now have a bond that not only is more than "just a piece of paper" but also ordained by God.

Now on the other hand, I would be lying if I said people don't get married for image or what they think is love, but since I have never done it (or came close to it) I would like to try and see for myself if I think marriage is worth it or not.

This topic reminds me of a friend of mine who recently got engaged and will be married next year. He was a man who didn't believe in marriage and said as a kid he was made fun of by his peers for having married parents. It was his father who ruined the marriage to his mother. As a matter of fact, he would always tell me that he would rather have a babymama than a wife. People can change their thought process from not valuing marriage or believing that it makes no sense to wanting to have someone to share their life with through taking vows

Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
I dont' believe marriage is pointless. I do believe that is something that I want to do not only because I was raised to believe in marriage, but I do believe that does show that you are committed to one another and now have a bond that not only is more than "just a piece of paper" but also ordained by God.

Now on the other hand, I would be lying if I said people don't get married for image or what they think is love, but since I have never done it (or came close to it) I would like to try and see for myself if I think marriage is worth it or not.

This topic reminds me of a friend of mine who recently got engaged and will be married next year. He was a man who didn't believe in marriage and said as a kid he was made fun of by his peers for having married parents. It was his father who ruined the marriage to his mother. As a matter of fact, he would always tell me that he would rather have a babymama than a wife. People can change their thought process from not valuing marriage or believing that it makes no sense to wanting to have someone to share their life with through taking vows

As we grow and mature our perspectives/opinions/thoughts are supposed to grow too

Remaining open to the good things in life will allow you better opportunities to have them in your life!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,099,143 times
Quote:
Probably my mother, eventually. If it were up to me, I wouldn't do it, but I have a feeling I'll get forced into it like most guys.
I feel SO sorry for the woman you will be forced to marry. Not because I have any ill will to you but because a forced marriage is likely going to end in disaster because the purpose of it is to make somoene else happy.

Or... run your own life! There is NO way anyone forces someone else to marry. You are the one who signs the marriage certificate. Nobody signs it for you.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,054,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I feel SO sorry for the woman you will be forced to marry. Not because I have any ill will to you but because a forced marriage is likely going to end in disaster because the purpose of it is to make somoene else happy.

Or... run your own life! There is NO way anyone forces someone else to marry. You are the one who signs the marriage certificate. Nobody signs it for you.
And what woman would want to marry someone with that attitude anyways? Yikes.

I'm not a huge fan of marriage, but I don't hate the idea. If I found someone extraordinary who could make me reconsider, I would. It's not so important to me to not get married that I would keep my SO's dream of marriage from happening.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,932,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Not married, right?

I have no leverage with them. It's like telling your boss you're going to take a month off from work without their authorization.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
How are you going to quantify someone's personal stake in a relationship if you aren't that person?

If I had a couple hundred thousand in the bank, a six figure salary, and a new girlfriend every week, do you think I'd have problems finding a place? You're still talking about real estate... nothing that's a direct comparison to a relationship or marriage.
No, I am talking about marriage too. You want a new girlfriend every week. You aren't in the frame of mind to build a home with someone. Maybe someday you will get tired of moving and want to unpack the boxes. Maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships