Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM

77 posts, read 170,610 times

Advertisements

I've been pondering today.

It seems to me that there is an unusually high level of desire & fixation among young girls & women to meet the right man at some point, marry and then have a family.

I say unusual because I don't see that there is a corresponding level of interest among young guys and men to do the same thing, so I wonder why this disparity exists.

Sure, I know how the images/ideas of what girls are supposed to do/want/aim for in life is a long held view, imbued for a very long time in all modern cultures, but why doesn't this also apply to boys and men (or as much)?

Clearly, enough men have wanted to have such a life, as evidenced by 7 billion humans alive today, even if some of those people weren't wanted or don't know who their father (and/or mother) are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,200,844 times
Actually - 2 out of the 3 men that I had long term relationships both wanted marriage and a family. One of them is my husband - and we just had a baby. The other one is now married with a child as well. And for the record - my husband was pushing for a baby before I was. He actually had to persuade me that the time was right!

I'd say that it has been the goal for many men that I know to get married and start a family.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pims26 View Post
I've been pondering today.

It seems to me that there is an unusually high level of desire & fixation among young girls & women to meet the right man at some point, marry and then have a family.

I say unusual because I don't see that there is a corresponding level of interest among young guys and men to do the same thing, so I wonder why this disparity exists.

Sure, I know how the images/ideas of what girls are supposed to do/want/aim for in life is a long held view, imbued for a very long time in all modern cultures, but why doesn't this also apply to boys and men (or as much)?

Clearly, enough men have wanted to have such a life, as evidenced by 7 billion humans alive today, even if some of those people weren't wanted or don't know who their father (and/or mother) are.

Men and women are wired differently, surely this is not news to you?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 PM

11,387 posts, read 9,306,180 times
Because many women want to experience having a child.

Many men do too but I never had that desire.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
It was for me in my day (I'm 53). I didn't want kids though but once I got married I changed my mind and it seemed like the next logical step.

My D25 has her own ideas. She has had a couple bf's who wanted to get married and have kids but she swears she never wants children and has a lot she wants to do before settling down with anyone. Her current fella wants a kid within the next 5 years and she joked that he better start looking for another gf...maybe he will! She doesn't understand why guys like that are always drawn to her because she's very upfront and outspoken about things. I'm torn because I love how independent she is but I'm old fashioned enough to want her to do things the way I did them....haha.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,283,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pims26 View Post
Key word: "young."

Many men just realize it later in life.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 PM

461 posts, read 783,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Actually - 2 out of the 3 men that I had long term relationships both wanted marriage and a family. One of them is my husband - and we just had a baby. The other one is now married with a child as well. And for the record - my husband was pushing for a baby before I was. He actually had to persuade me that the time was right!

I'd say that it has been the goal for many men that I know to get married and start a family.
Congrats Dewdrop! Did you have a boy or a girl?

As a single woman, I've had quite a few dates with men who make it quite clear they're looking for a wife and kids. These are guys in their late twenties, early thirties. It's a bit odd for me, like putting the cart before the horse because they talk about already having the nest (home) and wanting to fill it on the first date!

For me, I care about finding someone I want to share my life with and that it's solid before I'd think about the rest.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,200,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
Congrats Dewdrop! Did you have a boy or a girl?

As a single woman, I've had quite a few dates with men who make it quite clear they're looking for a wife and kids. These are guys in their late twenties, early thirties. It's a bit odd for me, like putting the cart before the horse because they talk about already having the nest (home) and wanting to fill it on the first date!

For me, I care about finding someone I want to share my life with and that it's solid before I'd think about the rest.
A beautiful little boy!

My husband always wanted to have a family - but he said that it wasn't until he met me that he actually thought about settling down for real. He said marriage never even came up with his college girlfriend.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM

541 posts, read 942,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
A beautiful little boy!

My husband always wanted to have a family - but he said that it wasn't until he met me that he actually thought about settling down for real. He said marriage never even came up with his college girlfriend.
Congrats!!!!!!!

Awwwww
There would be a guy or a girl that would come in your life and change your perspective. It happened to me. I had no intention of ever wanting to get married. But there is a guy who I would in a freaking heartbeat settle down with and have a family with him.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Conditioning is certainly part of it.
It's expected. There are tv, books, parents, church, etc screaming at it you all of your life.
What is one thing women can do that men can't?
Bring life into this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships