Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times

Advertisements

My husband is a long time smoker. He claimed that he needed to smoke due to job stress. I didn't like it before but now the situation is worse. Cigarettes are at an all time high cost & he spends $75 to $100 on them each week. He has been unemployed for over a year and that is almost 1/3 of his entire weekly unemployment check. He says that it is "his money" and he can do whatever he wants with it. Well, the money from my retirement pension is the money used to pay the mortgage, the utility bills, car insurance, etc. In addition I also work almost full time to pay for the day to day expenses of food, clothes, etc. I don't think of it as "my money" but our money. My husband has always considered money that I earned or received as gifts as "family money".

If he stopped smoking we could pay off one of our credit cards or use the money in many different ways. I also feel that it is inconsiderate of him to me as I am greatly bothered by second-hand smoke (eye & throat irritation, etc). This has gotten much worse over the years (probably because the smoke smell has settled in our furniture, car, carpet, etc.).

Smoking may be directly effecting his health. He was in the hospital twice with severe pneumonia.

It is upsetting to me that my husband has $4,000 to $5,000 just "going up in smoke" every year when we can't afford things like a comfortable bed (our mattress is 24 years old) or to fix the broken side mirror on the car, or to replace our damaged old carpet (also 24 years old), or pay off the dentist for my husbands extensive dental work or to go on a vacation to visit relatives. I might feel a little differently if he had a good job and that $4,000 -$5,000 a year was extra "fun money" not money needed for bills. But we are barely scaping by paying our bills.

He says that I am being unreasonable to ask him to quit.
And I think that he is being unreasonable not to quit smoking.

I am at a loss what to do. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Wow, your husband is very selfish

He also sounds very depressed.

Can you convince him to see his doctor?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,305,353 times
Your husband has a very strong addiction...sometimes it takes years untill one finally completely quits....he would probably like to...but it's easier said than done...

Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,170,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Your husband has a very strong addiction...sometimes it takes years untill one finally completely quits....he would probably like to...but it's easier said than done...
yes, though you definitely need to speak up regarding his disprespectiful attitude toward you. on the other hand, i'm wondering if he was the primary breadwinner for many years before becoming unemployed. did you consider his money "our money" when he had it?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,688,578 times
Sorry, but he won't be able to quit until HE wants to quit. No amount of nagging or threats will do it. That amount of money seems rather high to me. Make him buy the cheapie generic ones -- they may be so nasty that he will want to quit!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,230,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
That amount of money seems rather high to me.
The amount is totally out of whack, unless he smokes 3 packs a day or 2 packs, but a very expensive brand.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 AM

11,386 posts, read 9,304,429 times
Smoking cigarettes is no different than being a drug addict, except one is legal when the other is not. Leave it to our government to make that decision, lol.

In this case it is no different than spending money on cocaine. Would you be okay with that? I thought not. The only difference besides it being legal is the putrid smell.

I don't do either but from what I know I'm convinced cigarettes are worse.

Your husband is seriously addicted and it doesn't appear he wants help. I have no idea why you are staying in this situation.
I know I would not put up with being around them.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 AM

391 posts, read 688,790 times
It is essentially an issue of motivation.

Inertia can be difficult to overcome. However, he has two motivators
which is his health, your health and your collective finances.

That should be motivation enough. Perhaps have a calm non-combative
heart-to-heart with him about all of this and place his health as the #1
issue for him to stop this with the others a secondary benefits.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Maybe you could sit down with him and go over your budget, making a strong case for how even half of the money he's spending on cigarettes could help the family.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,794,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Sorry, but he won't be able to quit until HE wants to quit. No amount of nagging or threats will do it. That amount of money seems rather high to me. Make him buy the cheapie generic ones -- they may be so nasty that he will want to quit!
Or better yet the electronic ones. They run about $10 at the gas stations near Ft. Knox but you get a lot of puffs out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships