Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times

Advertisements

Some of you have helped me in dealing with my mother and me coming out to her and her accepting my gf etc. Thank you to everyone for your input. We are actually doing really great!

My gf and I are starting the process to start our family and I hope to be pregnant in the next few months. No body at work knows that I'm gay. It's not that I hide it, I just don't talk about it and no one asks. Now obviously, there will be no hiding the pregnancy. I know it's really no body's business, but I'm not sure how to deal with this. I'm assuming people will start asking questions...

I'm not overly open and gay or straight I don't like to talk about my personal life at work. I'm just wondering what to expect. How nosey will people get? Or will anyone even care? I would prefer not to come out, but how much can I really hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,615 times
Is there a reason you don't feel comfortable coming out at work? Do people make anti-gay comments in your presence?

You may be surprised at how accepting people might be. My assistant is gay and at first I was worried because we are in the Midwest (you know-Bible belt and all). At first, the guys were a little wary of him, but now they are so comfortable around him, they even tease/joke/flirt with him (which shocked me at first, but now seems very normal).

I have to say though, I think part of the easy acceptance stems from the fact that everyone here has a college degree, so they are a little more, um... worldly.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:08 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
Are you worried about discrimination? Cuz there are laws against that, and if someone starts treating you badly, you can always sue.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
It isn't anyone else's business, but I'm sure people will ask. You could just say my partner when you refer to your other half if you don't want to tell people. I really hope no one would give you any grief. It isn't their business anyway!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
I'm not so much worried about descrimination and no body or at least I haven't heard anybody say anything anti gay. I really don't know what I'm worried about...but like I mentioned I keep to myself and don't really talk much about me. I am not in the bible-belt, but I am in Florida. I do agree that most people are accepting and supportive. I'm a little afraid too that since I haven't mentioned anything to anyone they would maybe get offended that I didn't tell them about me or something. I don't know.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
I had lunch with a colleague the other day, who took me out to thank me for help on a project. I knew him pretty well in a work context, but nothing about his private life (like most people I work with.) At some point we started talking about my kids and I asked him if he had a family. He said that he had a partner, but no kids. The rest of the convo he was perfectly comfortable talking about his life with his male partner. That was the extent of him "coming out" and it a was perfectly natural discussion.

IMO, the proper way is to be honest about your family relationship if someone shows enough interest to ask. What they choose to do with the information is nothing for you to worry about.

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Just out of curiosity... how are you going to get pregnant? Also, how does that work between you and your GF? Who decided which of you would be pregnant?

Again, strictly out of curiosity, you dont have to answer. Anyway, both might be something people may ask.

2,162 posts, read 3,366,305 times
Well, people are always going to be excited about a pregnancy! I assume they will absolutely ask all the right and even the wrong questions, so do be prepared.

I think you and your girl should discuss it together and come up with a comfortable explanation. At some point, I would come out, but it can be a very conservative thing. No need to make it a spectacle. It has not been an issue where I work, and I imagine most people will be respectful.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM

179 posts, read 357,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Some of you have helped me in dealing with my mother and me coming out to her and her accepting my gf etc. Thank you to everyone for your input. We are actually doing really great!

My gf and I are starting the process to start our family and I hope to be pregnant in the next few months. No body at work knows that I'm gay. It's not that I hide it, I just don't talk about it and no one asks. Now obviously, there will be no hiding the pregnancy. I know it's really no body's business, but I'm not sure how to deal with this. I'm assuming people will start asking questions...

I'm not overly open and gay or straight I don't like to talk about my personal life at work. I'm just wondering what to expect. How nosey will people get? Or will anyone even care? I would prefer not to come out, but how much can I really hide.
You really shouldn't worry about what people at work will think... Now however.. Some people are very close-minded and are set in their ways. Simply be yourself.. The right people in your life will not care otherwise... gay or straight... You may get some questions or stuff like that but the main thing is... Are you happy with your orientation.. and do you care about your gf and does she care about you? That is all that matters! Don't hide anything... nothing to be afraid of or ashamed of... Of course there is a line to be drawn as with any couple... As in "making out" in public... but that is for any couple gay or straight. I am not gay... and would personally never have that lifestyle but I keep an open mind on the situation and have many gay friends ( male and female). I see no difference as far as who the person is... I guess what I am trying to say is... don't be ashamed... Haters will have a problem and kind considerate people will support you! Good luck!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
Continue keeping your business life separate from your personal life. If/when you become pregnant, you aren't any more obligated to share your personal life at work than you were before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships