Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
How do you know no-one raises an eyebrow at those professions....they sure do!!!....To the OP..I'm not big on paying to talk to someone myself...I think a good friend with a good ear is just as good
Hardly. Unless of course you don't have real mental health issues, just normal everyday problems.

For those with anxiety, depression, phobias, etc... you can't beat the guidance and expertise a good mental health professional can provide.

Achieving good mental/emotional health is worth whatever price you have to pay in my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyj19 View Post
I've been told by family and my closest friends that I should seek for self esteem issues and my social fears that sometimes cripple me or lead me to make poor decisions. How does the community feel about Therapy or counseling? does it help and is it worth it? Does anyone have stories that they can share ?
There is a group called Recovery International which helps people with self esteem issues. If you google them you'll pull up their website. They have in person meetings (as well as online and via telephone) and I think they're pretty decent.

Good luck

Old 03-26-2012, 03:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Achieving good mental/emotional health is worth whatever price you have to pay in my opinion
And if you can't?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
And if you can't?
There are options.

In many places people can call the United Way and be put in touch with mental health professionals that charge on a sliding scale based on income.

Many larger churches have trained counselors on staff who also charge a sliding scale.

There are places like Catholic Social Services you can also get in touch with for direction and help.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
How do you know no-one raises an eyebrow at those professions....they sure do!!!....To the OP..I'm not big on paying to talk to someone myself...I think a good friend with a good ear is just as good
And what if you have no friends because you don't know how to make any or you can't relate to people? Therapy can help you with that. If you have people in your life that you can talk to during rough times than you should be grateful because some people don't have such a support network.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:36 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And what if you have no friends because you don't know how to make any or you can't relate to people? Therapy can help you with that. If you have people in your life that you can talk to during rough times than you should be grateful because some people don't have such a support network.

this is true. I lol @ when the people say 'lean on your friends' um, most men are not going to share the type of stuff with each other they do with a therapist. Some women are like that too (like myself). Also, a lot of times the friends angle can end up being the blind leading the blind. And like you said some people don't have a 'support network' in place in the first place.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
OP-You do what you feel is best for you. Only you can truly make that decision. You can shop around for therapists too btw..

Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
How about attending Toastmasters? They do wonders in addressing self-esteem and social anxiety. Sometimes the easiest answers are most elusive. If its not that, you'll know by the time you finish with them.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You're right.....and I am grateful.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,647 times
City-Data has become my therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships