Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Someone here has some medical training.
Someone here - more than one, actually - is grossing me out!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:28 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
About once a decade, or two.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'd LOVE to be able to pee standing up...that would save me a lot of aggrivation, especially when traveling. I always seem to have to pee when there is no rest stop to be found!
Yeah it's convenient, just point and begin orbital bombardment But you can always find a bush somewhere.

Quote:
I am not so sure I'd want to have to worry about pitching a tent and then not being able to get up for a bit, waiting for it to behave...that would be a nuisance. It's easy to hide arousal when you are a woman.
Yeah must be nice!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
Yeah it's convenient, just point and begin orbital bombardment But you can always find a bush somewhere.

Yeah must be nice!
Ah yes..... but the problem is, that bush isn't big enough to hide behind!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Not necessarily whether you'd want to, since most people seem happy with their birth sex/the sex they've grown up with.

Like do you ever try to see things from your SO's point of view? Or just what it would be like to be a man/woman in general?

Do you imagine how your life would've been different if you were a man/woman? How it might change your personality, if at all.etc.

I sometimes do, not a great deal, but I do imagine what it'd like if I was born female (or black, or a bald eagle, for that matter, haha). I think I'd be similar, obviously with some female traits that I don't have, but innately I'd be the same person I am now.

I don't want to be a woman, so I rarely ever think about what it would be like to be one, but surfing the net one day, I came across this post written by a young man that I believe sums up what it must be like to be a woman absolutely brilliantly:

Is It Better To Be Male OR Female?

I'm kind of new to the forum so apologies if this topic has been brought up before. (Sorry this got so long but I have a lot to say on the subject.)

Been growing more and more preoccupied with the love-shy idea that it's simply better to be female than male in almost every way. So much so that I would choose to be female in a heartbeat. This is not to say I'm one of those "women trapped in a man's body" or want a sex change or anything like that. Just that if God let me go back and do everything over again, I would choose to come back as a girl.

I can't see any downside to being female anymore in western society. Women now dominate in schools, occupy over half the jobs, and can still play the traditional roles of wife and mother if they want. They are put on a pedestal by society and treated better in almost every way. The freedoms they take for granted are ones I will never know. For instance: A woman can choose to work or not work; a man has to work. A woman can dress like a woman or like a man; a man has to dress like a man. A woman doing a "man's" job, like computer technician or engineer, is lauded as a pioneer and example of women's progress; a man doing a "woman's" job, like nurse, dancer or model, is ridiculed. A woman under attack is expected to be defended and assisted; a man under attack is expected to "be a man" or to "man up" and not let anyone push him around. If a woman refuses her "responsibilities" of cooking and cleaning in the home, she is liberated and empowered; if a man refuses his "responsibilities" of being the breadwinner, he is a deadbeat. A woman who argues that men have it better is defending her rights; a man who argues that women have it better is a jealous whiner.

Now you would think with all this extra freedom would come extra responsibilities. But women's responsibilities (as caregiver and nurturer) have actually diminished. Yet there has been no corresponding increase in men's freedom at all (except for homosexuals).

At the risk of exaggerating, I believe being born female is like winning the lottery. You get all the special treatment and privileges handed to you, having done nothing to earn it. You are a higher class of human -- regarded as more attractive, more valuable, more deserving of support and compassion than those without breasts. What do you get by being born male? A shorter life expectancy and greater risk of mental illness, suicide, genetic disorders, alcoholism, social isolation, school dropout, incarceration, much longer prison sentences, etc. No wonder parents selecting the sex of their babies now pick female 75% of the time. In this culture, I would absolutely do the same.

Women have problems too but women's problems are seen as crises by society. Just imagine what would happen if all the homeless men you see in big cities were women. Those women would not be homeless for long. There would be an outcry over how society had let them fall through the cracks and massive efforts to get those women off the street. Already, more social programs and shelters exist for women only than for men, even though men probably account for over 90% of the homeless. Similarly, look at all the attention and funding devoted to breast cancer versus prostate cancer. Both kill equal numbers but prostate cancer gets only a fraction of the attention, for no other reason than that all its victims are male. (So, sorry to say this, but as long as most love-shy victims are male, society is really not going to give a crap.)

Now I realize that for a very long time, it was the other way around. Guys had all the rights and freedoms while women could not have a career or even vote. Some feminists would say modern men deserve to suffer for something that happened before they were even born and which they had nothing to do with... just as girls today somehow deserve special treatment because of past injustices which they themselves will never experience. But does this logic make any sense?

All this eats me up inside because I know that with my temperament I would have made a much better woman than a man. My shyness would be perceived as demure and attractive instead of creepy and unconfident. I could show little or no outward interest in the opposite sex without being seen as gay. I could make a small salary and have no car without it reducing my attractiveness one bit. My low self-esteem would elicit compassion instead of revulsion. I could show more interest in art, culture and psychology than in beer, sports and monster truck rallies without my sexuality being questioned. As a virgin, I'd be seen as pure instead of a loser. Even without approaching anyone, I would get lots of practice at social skills because they would approach me. In short, my life would have been a success instead of a failure.

If any girl should read this and disagree, I'd like to say just be grateful you won the lottery when you were born. Be thankful you dodged a bullet. It could've been so much worse, you really have no idea. I would give anything to be you. "

Love-shy.com: Support for the dating-challenged - forum • View topic - Is it better to be male or female?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I don't want to be a woman, so I rarely ever think about what it would be like to be one, but surfing the net one day, I came across this post written by a young man that I believe sums up what it must be like to be a woman absolutely brilliantly:

I'm kind of new to the forum so apologies if this topic has been brought up before. (Sorry this got so long but I have a lot to say on the subject.)

Been growing more and more preoccupied with the love-shy idea that it's simply better to be female than male in almost every way. So much so that I would choose to be female in a heartbeat. This is not to say I'm one of those "women trapped in a man's body" or want a sex change or anything like that. Just that if God let me go back and do everything over again, I would choose to come back as a girl.

I can't see any downside to being female anymore in western society. Women now dominate in schools, occupy over half the jobs, and can still play the traditional roles of wife and mother if they want. They are put on a pedestal by society and treated better in almost every way. The freedoms they take for granted are ones I will never know. For instance: A woman can choose to work or not work; a man has to work. A woman can dress like a woman or like a man; a man has to dress like a man. A woman doing a "man's" job, like computer technician or engineer, is lauded as a pioneer and example of women's progress; a man doing a "woman's" job, like nurse, dancer or model, is ridiculed. A woman under attack is expected to be defended and assisted; a man under attack is expected to "be a man" or to "man up" and not let anyone push him around. If a woman refuses her "responsibilities" of cooking and cleaning in the home, she is liberated and empowered; if a man refuses his "responsibilities" of being the breadwinner, he is a deadbeat. A woman who argues that men have it better is defending her rights; a man who argues that women have it better is a jealous whiner.

Now you would think with all this extra freedom would come extra responsibilities. But women's responsibilities (as caregiver and nurturer) have actually diminished. Yet there has been no corresponding increase in men's freedom at all (except for homosexuals).

At the risk of exaggerating, I believe being born female is like winning the lottery. You get all the special treatment and privileges handed to you, having done nothing to earn it. You are a higher class of human -- regarded as more attractive, more valuable, more deserving of support and compassion than those without breasts. What do you get by being born male? A shorter life expectancy and greater risk of mental illness, suicide, genetic disorders, alcoholism, social isolation, school dropout, incarceration, much longer prison sentences, etc. No wonder parents selecting the sex of their babies now pick female 75% of the time. In this culture, I would absolutely do the same.

Women have problems too but women's problems are seen as crises by society. Just imagine what would happen if all the homeless men you see in big cities were women. Those women would not be homeless for long. There would be an outcry over how society had let them fall through the cracks and massive efforts to get those women off the street. Already, more social programs and shelters exist for women only than for men, even though men probably account for over 90% of the homeless. Similarly, look at all the attention and funding devoted to breast cancer versus prostate cancer. Both kill equal numbers but prostate cancer gets only a fraction of the attention, for no other reason than that all its victims are male. (So, sorry to say this, but as long as most love-shy victims are male, society is really not going to give a crap.)

Now I realize that for a very long time, it was the other way around. Guys had all the rights and freedoms while women could not have a career or even vote. Some feminists would say modern men deserve to suffer for something that happened before they were even born and which they had nothing to do with... just as girls today somehow deserve special treatment because of past injustices which they themselves will never experience. But does this logic make any sense?

All this eats me up inside because I know that with my temperament I would have made a much better woman than a man. My shyness would be perceived as demure and attractive instead of creepy and unconfident. I could show little or no outward interest in the opposite sex without being seen as gay. I could make a small salary and have no car without it reducing my attractiveness one bit. My low self-esteem would elicit compassion instead of revulsion. I could show more interest in art, culture and psychology than in beer, sports and monster truck rallies without my sexuality being questioned. As a virgin, I'd be seen as pure instead of a loser. Even without approaching anyone, I would get lots of practice at social skills because they would approach me. In short, my life would have been a success instead of a failure.

If any girl should read this and disagree, I'd like to say just be grateful you won the lottery when you were born. Be thankful you dodged a bullet. It could've been so much worse, you really have no idea. I would give anything to be you. "

Love-shy.com: Support for the dating-challenged - forum • View topic - Is it better to be male or female?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Too funny. I tell my friends in my next life I'm coming back as a man. I think you guys have it much easier and I envy you that.
So you rather give away your privilege to have men ask you out, take care of you, prepare a magical evening to propose, have a wedding revolve around you, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post

Interesting stuff.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
So you rather give away your privilege to have men ask you out, take care of you, prepare a magical evening to propose, have a wedding revolve around you, etc.?

Not yes, but OH HELL YES!

(No man has "taken care of me" and my only wedding was at the courthouse, my choice)

Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Not yes, but OH HELL YES!
(No man has "taken care of me" and my only wedding was at the courthouse, my choice)
So when you were single you took guys out, paid for their meals and drinks, took initiative, romanced them, proposed to your now-husband, etc.? Cool

Cheers!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,195 times
for women, being easily able to get a boyfriend, date, relationship, not only because they don't have to initiate anything, but because men don't expect that much from women when it comes to attraction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships