Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,833,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
For one, I'm going to agree with everyone else, TV is NOT reality so don't base your decisions off of daytime shows, (even some of those shows are scripted),. Meeting a girl is easy, meeting one that you want to date and that she wants to do the same is the hard part. I'm like you, short, muscular, financially independent, would never dream of treating a woman this way and it's frustrating. It seems like the popular thing to do nowadays is to put your hat on backwards, be a low-life and treat your girl like sh*t, why? I have no clue. I think so many people, (male and female), have such a huge bloated sense of self-entitlement that it really complicates dating and relationships. Like the bar has to be continually raised, what you have is never good enough;"well this girl is cute but she is carrying an extra 10lbs," or " he's really nice and has a good job but he's only 5'4," see what I mean. So many people want, want, want, but what do they have to give in return? A relationship isn't about just one person's needs it's about both people's needs, somehow that's gotten lost. We are becoming a more selfish society. Also, we are becoming more diverse as a society, which will also make dating more difficult. As far as the online dating, I've gotten two serious relationships out of it. I work construction, which is almost all male and I'm into the bar scene so for me it can be helpful. Just like in real life though, not every girl you're attracted to online will be attracted to you. Just like real life, there's rejection online too. I would NOT message a girl more than once. You messaged her once now the ball is in her court, if she doesn't respond chalk it up as a loss
I am 5'5" and 20 lbs overweight- I know its an issue with women, but I never believed in making height the thing that prevents me from meeting women, otherwise I might as well throw in the towel now cause I can't change it. Plus I see other short guys with cute girls. I'm healthy in all other respects, and I'm not covered in bodyhair or anything, yet like you said, I see dirtbags walking around with these amazing girls. One guy I know is such a loser- no job, no effort to get one, lives in her house, and is decent looking but a complete bum. He treats her terribly. She is beautiful- 5'3", a brunette with light blue eyes, sweetest disposition, totally family oriented (big one for me). She goes for these dirtbag guys and always says how hot The Situation is (mind you, she's in her early 30's, not some 22 yr old). I can't understand it. No one is a bigger jackass than that guy, but he has a six pack and is clearly confident (about what I have no idea).

I'm not going to fight the system, it is what it is. I have to play within it, and I never pretend to be someone I am not. Me pretending to be someone like the Situation would be laughable and so out of character for me anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,808,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I am 5'5" and 20 lbs overweight- I know its an issue with women, but I never believed in making height the thing that prevents me from meeting women, otherwise I might as well throw in the towel now cause I can't change it. Plus I see other short guys with cute girls. I'm healthy in all other respects, and I'm not covered in bodyhair or anything, yet like you said, I see dirtbags walking around with these amazing girls. One guy I know is such a loser- no job, no effort to get one, lives in her house, and is decent looking but a complete bum. He treats her terribly. She is beautiful- 5'3", a brunette with light blue eyes, sweetest disposition, totally family oriented (big one for me). She goes for these dirtbag guys and always says how hot The Situation is (mind you, she's in her early 30's, not some 22 yr old). I can't understand it. No one is a bigger jackass than that guy, but he has a six pack and is clearly confident (about what I have no idea).

I'm not going to fight the system, it is what it is. I have to play within it, and I never pretend to be someone I am not. Me pretending to be someone like the Situation would be laughable and so out of character for me anyway!
Ah, the missing link. I knew it would show up.

OP, I am the same way. Height is not preventing you from meeting women but what it is doing is turning off many, not ALL, women you meet. Hate to say it, and most women will never admit it, but height really does matter.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,015,181 times
Are you religious? - if not, pick one and go to a few masses - you don't have to be a bible-thumper.

Some people are photogenic, some are not (i throw myself in this category, though I'm no ogre).

Do you groom yourself from time to time? - then don't worry about your hair or lack thereof.

Online dating is the worst meat market - that said, my sister met her husband there . My experiences with online dating were terrible, let's see - an alcoholic gin drinker, a very homely girl, quite a few stretchers of descriptive features, a certifiable nut job, oh! and then I had a "gods gift to humanity" girl who thought men should worship the ground she walked on - no, thanks, so glad I met my wife.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post

OP, I am the same way. Height is not preventing you from meeting women but what it is doing is turning off many, not ALL, women you meet. Hate to say it, and most women will never admit it, but height really does matter.
Easy fix - lose 15lbs, hit the gym and tone up - in fact, muscle ought to work well on a man of shorter stature - use compound exercises to buff up quickly. I have family members who are of the short but stocky group - weighlifting did wonders for self-esteem and attracting the opposite gender.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,258,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

Is that all? Meh...most guys can drop 20 lbs a lot faster than most women. It's doable in less than a month. The hard part is keeping it off. All I can say is that every woman is different. A few extra pounds to me is no biggie. If this girl prefers certain looks over the way the guy treats her and how is lack of direction is, then there's something wrong with her, not you. Sure a lot of women like eye candy, same for men, but are just the looks the deal breaker? I would have to say no.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,808,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Is that all? Meh...most guys can drop 20 lbs a lot faster than most women. It's doable in less than a month. The hard part is keeping it off. All I can say is that every woman is different. A few extra pounds to me is no biggie. If this girl prefers certain looks over the way the guy treats her and how is lack of direction is, then there's something wrong with her, not you. Sure a lot of women like eye candy, same for men, but are just the looks the deal breaker? I would have to say no.
You'd be surprised.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
You'd be surprised.
Agree - both sexes are visually focused, that's where most of the problems begin. You can have nice wrapping on the outside and be totally demented on the inside and still get the girl, but after a while looks either fade or the punishment is too much leading to break-ups, divorce, what have you. Then you get the cry on the shoulder - why did this happen? Seen it plenty of times, doesn't mean though that a nice wrapping is always nuts - odds are 50/50.

I had a blind date meet me without a picture a long time ago - she thought because I was of a certain nationality that this image was in her mind was also in person, she showed up, then turned around and walked out, drove off, then came back 10 minutes later because she "felt bad" (give her props for that) - so we kept it as friends. Apparently there is a huge attraction for Jersey Shore quality folks.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I am certain that this is part of it, that's why I came clean right in my OP to say that I'm not very tall. I'm short, and I do know that this is a significant factor. That being said, I also know guys as short or shorter than me with nice wives and girlfriends. So, I accept that it is a factor, is there some better way to overcome it?

In the past, people have told me to forget online dating due to my height. Women have in their minds a perfect height, and usually don't stray from that (typically 5'10" or taller). Seeing 5'5" in a profile immediately puts it in the rejection bin. But in person, no one is measuring you, and your other characteristics can come through stronger. I don't want to turn this into a height debate, since there are too many on here already and debating it is not going to change the reality. Men also judge women on weight, so it works both ways, and its not fair but its reality.

I focus on women between 4'10" and 5'3", so that limits me. And I only write to women online who state that they want a guy within my height range. Still, I am aware that when its me vs. the 5'10" guy, I have a disadvantage.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,258,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Agree - both sexes are visually focused, that's where most of the problems begin. You can have nice wrapping on the outside and be totally demented on the inside and still get the girl, but after a while looks either fade or the punishment is too much leading to break-ups, divorce, what have you. Then you get the cry on the shoulder - why did this happen? Seen it plenty of times, doesn't mean though that a nice wrapping is always nuts - odds are 50/50.

I had a blind date meet me without a picture a long time ago - she thought because I was of a certain nationality that this image was in her mind was also in person, she showed up, then turned around and walked out, drove off, then came back 10 minutes later because she "felt bad" (give her props for that) - so we kept it as friends. Apparently there is a huge attraction for Jersey Shore quality folks.
Oh yeah, I agree it goes both ways. The average Joe can have the hottest gf who treats him like crap. He ends up crying because she doesn't treat him the way he deserves.

Umm, the Jersey Shore thingy...that attacts a certain type of people. I for one, am not attracted to that at all. The mentality, the fake bake, just does nothing for me.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Easy fix - lose 15lbs, hit the gym and tone up - in fact, muscle ought to work well on a man of shorter stature - use compound exercises to buff up quickly. I have family members who are of the short but stocky group - weighlifting did wonders for self-esteem and attracting the opposite gender.
I go to the gym often and thankfully I'm not scrawny. Buffness isn't the issue- I wish it was Losing 20 lbs will help, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships