Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:15 PM

622 posts, read 1,666,265 times

Advertisements

Most of us know that women tend to be more emotional than men.. and when a woman feels something or is upset about something, her emotions tend to come out. I know that I personally like to express how I feel to my partner, and sometimes he just doesnt understand why Im being so 'emotional' about something that to him, just isnt a big deal.

Ive done quite a bit of reading about this subject in the past, and I know that there's a whole science behind it. Mens and womens brains work differently. Women process information differently, use their gut instincts more efficiently, pay more attention to peoples body language, tones of voice, facial expressions, to come to a conclusion about something (a feeling..) whereas men look for factual, documented information, and then they proceed to try and fix things. If it can't be fixed, then why are we still talking about it?

What are your experiences with this?

How do you and your partner come to a common ground when it comes to this sort of a situation?

and some questions for women specifically...

Is your emotionality perceived as insecurity? (It's easy to be mistaken for that..)

Can you control your emotions?

Do you cry when you're stressed or overwhelmed? Can you help it when you cry?

Men:

How do you feel or react when your partner (assuming your partner is female) gets upset or cries??

My other half and I were talking about this just recently, and he told me that he just realized that women are emotional.. ALL women are emotional, thats just how they are.. I was shocked and surprised that he a) came to this conclusion b) that he just realized it and c) that he actually admitted that it wasnt just me who was crazy.. its ALL females who are crazy. (I say this jokingly, because so many guys still think of having and expressing emotions as a flaw, or a weakness..)

I'd love to get other peoples perspectives on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
I'm not verbally emotional. I tend to think before I speak and not let my emotions take me off track.

We have a pretty unusually open and honest line of communication. Getting all that emotional is not necessary to make a point.

I do sometimes cry when I get upset though. My bf does not know how to react to it and gets panicky. I don't think he understands that he just needs to sit with me and not keep telling me to stop. lol.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,642 times
I don't consider myself to be a "typical" female. I'm not emotional and I don't cry easily. When I get upset, I get angry and aggressive (male behavior). I also don't talk, talk, talk like typical females. I have only a couple of good female friends, not a wide circle. I'm an analytical thinker, not an emotional one. I look at a lot of things from a male perspective. I think women would be better off if they were more like men and let their heads rule instead of their hearts.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
I disagree that women are more emotional than men. Men are extremely emotional -- something that should become clear when you realize that rage and bitterness are emotions, too. I also disagree that men don't understand women. Men are not retarded. Some men may ignore your feelings -- but that's not at all the same as not understanding them.

Men and women are conditioned to express emotions differently. Generally, women enjoy greater liberty to cry and express sadness; men -- anger. As a society, we also choose to validate some emotions and scoff at others. That, however, doesn't mean that men are bastions of logic and women are sobbing messes. Just looking at this board should show you that this is far from being the case.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,865 times
As a man i have only cried when my sports teams have won the championships when it looked like they wouldn't but other than that no. When im stressed an overhwlemed i dont cry but try to get away from the situation ie going for a walk/drive. When women in general cry around me i feel uncomfortable and out of place. I can even recall my father explaining to me when i was younger that women were "different" and more emotional and it wasn't something i would always fully understand.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Men are often way more emotional than the ladies. ESPECIALLY the younger ones.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 PM

622 posts, read 1,666,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
I don't consider myself to be a "typical" female. I'm not emotional and I don't cry easily. When I get upset, I get angry and aggressive (male behavior). I also don't talk, talk, talk like typical females. I have only a couple of good female friends, not a wide circle. I'm an analytical thinker, not an emotional one. I look at a lot of things from a male perspective. I think women would be better off if they were more like men and let their heads rule instead of their hearts.
This is typically how I am.. my other half has said that Im not really a girl, because of how I tend to just, get along better with guys than girls.. (and how I fit in better with them than with the girls!!) I try to analyze situations without overreacting, and try to understand it from different perspectives before I assume. This comes from the way I was raised as well as my small business background though.. I dont try to 'think like a guy', I just try to approach the problem in a more rational way first.

BUT, that being said, I am still female, and I still have my moments. This isnt really about personal experiences of my own, but about a discussion he and I were having about it, and incorporating what Ive read about it in the past with what we just recently talked about.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Like it's a problem I'm supposed to solve somehow.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I disagree that women are more emotional than men. Men are extremely emotional -- something that should become clear when you realize that rage and bitterness are emotions, too. I also disagree that men don't understand women. Men are not retarded. Some men may ignore your feelings -- but that's not at all the same as not understanding them.

Men and women are conditioned to express emotions differently. Generally, women enjoy greater liberty to cry and express sadness; men -- anger. As a society, we also choose to validate some emotions and scoff at others. That, however, doesn't mean that men are bastions of logic and women are sobbing messes. Just looking at this board should show you that this is far from being the case.
+1

I remember a statement made by Ben Barre (sp?) that when he had his gender reassignment surgery and began taking hormones, that he lost his ability to cry. I wonder if that's physiological. He didn't notice feeling any different, tho. Beyond that, I have found men to be very emotional and sensitive creatures. And as far as this forum goes, several men readily tell their tales of the heartless women they know/have known. So, all in all, another stereotype that falls short.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Perhaps we can agree that men are less likely to have empathy or sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships