Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 PM

314 posts, read 626,124 times

Advertisements

What are some very effective methods to handle circular monologues/conversations?

I have a house-mate who has a pattern of making very circular "conversations" or more accurately monologues (since he does most of the talking) that includes repeating in excruciating detail about his chores, tasks, career plans, strange childhood memories that would make most people cringe, etc. This is one of his irritating modes of communicating.

I've actually started taking notes in a spiral notebook and have documented time, day, month, and year that he makes the comment. When he starts repeating I state "I have it down already". I've even pointed to it on my spiral notebook and stated "See, it's right here". This helps me but he is sneaky and finds out other topics to repeat himself about in excruciating detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:08 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,939 times
Idk...you two sound the same. Take notes? How about get up and walk to another room?

Old 03-30-2012, 05:47 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,778 times
I think there's only so much you can do with a long-winded storyteller. My brother is like that. He will talk for hours, and in mind-numbingly minute detail, about some issue at work or other. And whenever he says "Long story short,..." or "See, what you gotta understand is...", you're in for at least 30 more minutes of background and context.

Now, in my brother's case, I think it stems from his not feeling heard by other people. He's looking to keep his audience as long as possible, since it's the only time he has anyone paying him attention by choice. Maybe your long-talker feels the same? (I'm spitballing here, so YMMV.)

It could also be neurological. Some people with Asperger's will speak in hyper-detailed monologues. They can't read the social cues that you're bored with the conversation, so they assume you're interested in that much information. Is that a possibility?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,829,401 times
I had a friend who had a tendency while telling an anecdote (say, something happened at work), to branch out on some detail into describing that detail way more than needed.
After a few weeks of this, I found that if I overcome my reluctance to interrupt her, I could pull her back to the story easily and quickly.

IE: She starts telling me an interesting thing about a new work assignment, that branches to something that client said and starts getting into details about what that client said that are of zero interest to me and not related to the original story. I interrupt her with "oh, but what about that new assignment?". And she snaps back and continues the original story.
It seems that as she tells the story, she doesn't have 'focus' and is simultaneously thinking of a lot of side details about that story and doesn't even notice it when she wanders down one of those side details. When I interrupt her, she is still not focused, and jumps back to the original story without consciously noticing my interruption, much less being upset.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:13 PM

314 posts, read 626,124 times
Those are smart excuses for the person's rude behaviors. The post is about effective methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
I think there's only so much you can do with a long-winded storyteller. My brother is like that. He will talk for hours, and in mind-numbingly minute detail, about some issue at work or other. And whenever he says "Long story short,..." or "See, what you gotta understand is...", you're in for at least 30 more minutes of background and context.

Now, in my brother's case, I think it stems from his not feeling heard by other people. He's looking to keep his audience as long as possible, since it's the only time he has anyone paying him attention by choice. Maybe your long-talker feels the same? (I'm spitballing here, so YMMV.)

It could also be neurological. Some people with Asperger's will speak in hyper-detailed monologues. They can't read the social cues that you're bored with the conversation, so they assume you're interested in that much information. Is that a possibility?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
Those are smart excuses for the person's rude behaviors. The post is about effective methods.

Maybe you could slip some valium into his morning coffee, every morning?!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I had a friend who had a tendency while telling an anecdote (say, something happened at work), to branch out on some detail into describing that detail way more than needed.
After a few weeks of this, I found that if I overcome my reluctance to interrupt her, I could pull her back to the story easily and quickly.

IE: She starts telling me an interesting thing about a new work assignment, that branches to something that client said and starts getting into details about what that client said that are of zero interest to me and not related to the original story. I interrupt her with "oh, but what about that new assignment?". And she snaps back and continues the original story.
It seems that as she tells the story, she doesn't have 'focus' and is simultaneously thinking of a lot of side details about that story and doesn't even notice it when she wanders down one of those side details. When I interrupt her, she is still not focused, and jumps back to the original story without consciously noticing my interruption, much less being upset.
Wow, I do notice this quite often in people. It's like they are "spiraling" and cannot stay on topic. I wonder what condition this might be. It's almost as if they are too impatient to finish one thought before jumping ahead into the next one.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:27 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
What are some very effective methods to handle circular monologues/conversations?

I have a house-mate who has a pattern of making very circular "conversations" or more accurately monologues (since he does most of the talking) that includes repeating in excruciating detail about his chores, tasks, career plans, strange childhood memories that would make most people cringe, etc. This is one of his irritating modes of communicating.

I've actually started taking notes in a spiral notebook and have documented time, day, month, and year that he makes the comment. When he starts repeating I state "I have it down already". I've even pointed to it on my spiral notebook and stated "See, it's right here". This helps me but he is sneaky and finds out other topics to repeat himself about in excruciating detail.
Ha! That's funny.

Yes. I would get up from my seat and walk to another room and close the door.

Goo-bye!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:33 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Quote:

You're talking about your housemate, who has been the topic of about 3 of your threads, yet here you are giving excrutiating details about your notebook. Was there a need to include twice that it's a spiral notebook?

After reading your threads, I'm starting to wonder if it's actually the housemate who has issues.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Hobby. Get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships