Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:40 PM

233 posts, read 751,775 times

Advertisements

why is it when a man gives a woman a compliment most women brush it off, ignore it, or take offence? yet, i hear some women complain men do not notice them? i walked to this woman, "where i am from, we give credit where it is due, and you are a beautiful woman." only one woman i said this too actually smiled and said thank you. everyone else dismissed it or ignored it, i am not looking to jump in their pants. just stated what i see. i have heard "what i do not look good all the time????" "so what, i wasn't looking good yesterday?" or they turn their head. why is it like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:34 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
For me I do not take offense at all. Instead I do get embarrassed and never know what to say. And I usually end up trying to change the topic or brush it off with light humour, both in a polite way tho.
My sisters who are older than me have always been beautiful, and I guess I just never felt I deserved that being said to me. So it makes me, again, somewhat embarrassed.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,749 times
I nor most of the women I know, dislike compliments. However, females do not typically care to hear pick up lines. Compliments that are genuine and sincere.... that's great! There's a big difference.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Sometimes we hear pick up lines a lot and many people misunderstand that from a genuine compliment.
Personally, if someone makes a comment or says/does something positive, I will greet them with a positive response. If conversation goes any further, than so be it, I know how to draw the line if he seems to be going a little far.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
I think some women decline sincere compliments for lack of self confidence and self esteem.
Like they are not worthy of a compliment because for whatever reason they don't feel good about themselves... thus brushing off compliments.
And most of that issue stems from what society perceives as to what is acceptable beauty in this world.
Just look at the magazines at check-out counters that flaunt the women of Hollywood. Most women, not all...compare themselves to those women...not taking into consideration that most if not all have been air-brushed beyond belief.

I digress....

But then on the other end of the spectrum....I never really considered a pick-up line as a genuine compliment to begin with.

JMHO...

Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post

But then on the other end of the spectrum....I never really considered a pick-up line as a genuine compliment to begin with.

JMHO...
hee hee, true friend.
I am glad my husband did not use any pick up lines on me. He used a "hi, and introduced himself, and was and still is a perfect gentleman,

Old 09-11-2007, 11:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
I guess you never really know someones intensions.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:38 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Sounds like the women you're complimenting are jerks.
I love compliments. If someone tells me I look nice, beautiful, etc., I love it and I thank them for it.
But, I don't like someone I don't know come up to me and say, you're hot.
Depends on the wording too.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:06 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
why is it when a man gives a woman a compliment most women brush it off, ignore it, or take offence? yet, i hear some women complain men do not notice them? i walked to this woman, "where i am from, we give credit where it is due, and you are a beautiful woman." only one woman i said this too actually smiled and said thank you. everyone else dismissed it or ignored it, i am not looking to jump in their pants. just stated what i see. i have heard "what i do not look good all the time????" "so what, i wasn't looking good yesterday?" or they turn their head. why is it like that?

I think those who dismiss it or ignore it, are either very insecure, or they've had so many men, tell them that, that they take it as a pic up line?

You can tell me I'm beautiful...though....
Creme

Old 09-12-2007, 03:27 PM

95 posts, read 503,387 times
If a beautiful woman is truly beautiful. They have been told this since 12.

What I have learned to be true: Men come on to strong too soon. Giving complements to often makes ya sound weak and too happy to be there.

Two complements per date is what I follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships