Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
And naturally you would do the same so he would feel comfortable with your male freinds? Then all is good.
Of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Do you like scones?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,636 times
Its a rough line... how much do u trust ur partner to be along or hang out with the opposite sex? Im not gonna lie, i've had a few girls tell me that their bf's dont trust them hanging out with me even on a complete friend level. i respect that but also know that girls can develope crushes even while being with their partner

Old 03-29-2012, 04:09 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
I have many friends of the opposite sex. If seriously dating or married, my S.O. is welcome to meet them and come along if we get together. If an S.O. still had a problem with that, they would soon be an ex and lose the privilege of being an opposite sex friend as well. It's also fine for my S.O. to have opposite sex friends under the same conditions.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM

70 posts, read 235,786 times
My thoughts are that no one can tell you who you are "allowed" to see, and who you're not.

That being said, I'm personally not comfortable dating men who have a lot of female friends. I don't have close male friends, either. It's a personal preference.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:19 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
Some people have no self esteem and feel the need to try to control people. It's sad.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:20 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Default it can be shaky ground...

I am not attached right now, But have 2 female friends that I occasionally have lunch and lunch only with no sleepovers, Walks on the beach or vacations. Just lunch and some talk on the phone. One I know over 10 years, And another close to 5. The one I know longer is married and the husband has no problem at all. Why? because it's well established i am not a threat. I think in some cases where there is a long term friendship with no history or concern then it is a bit different. now, if i was attached and went to hang out with some girl I met on the subway to have a "friendly" drink then that is out of line. And vice versa. trust is important, yes. But the latter compromises that trust when one is in a serious relationship? it just does. And the line "You don't trust me loses much of it's meaning." Again, A fine line. I am not and never will go off to Hawaii for Pina Coladas with them.

I might add that if i get serious with someone she will be sure to meet both my female friends in person. No B.S., no drama as i will be upfront with everything. I expect the same.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
I've been looking on the Relationship forums for a while and i keep seeing this.
People that aren't allowed to see or get grief for seeing their opposite sex freinds from their new partners.

Why? If your in a relationship shouldn't it be based on trust? If you don't trust them to see their freinds don't have a relationship with them.

If your in a relationship and your partner doesn't want you to see your freinds then they don't trust you so end it.

It's a relationship, you haven't suddenly become 7yrs old and need to let your Mum choose your freinds.

What are your thoughts and why do people put up with it?
Why?..probably because the partner is feeling left out, and wonders why?....I don't think the trust issue would even come into the picture if the one partner would just respect the other one by first: respecting that they are in an exclusive relationship, and 2: asking their partner to come with them.....If that respect is not shown, then all I can say is goodluck maintaining any kind of a long term relationship with one person.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
sorry to say but male have female friends that the wife is not allowed to know and hang out with also, okay that's a problem and likely someone he is cheating with. that's how I see it.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:49 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Opposite sex "friends" always has the potential to turn into something more given the right conditions.
I call BS. I have a few guy friends that there is no way in hell ANYTHING would ever happen. We are just not each other's types, not to mention it would be really weird since they are like brothers to me and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Whoever told me that would be told to go pound sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Some people have no self esteem and feel the need to try to control people. It's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships