Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,920,218 times

Advertisements

Dating is dead. At least that's what the media will have you believe. You know what? I think they're right. When you go out with someone of the opposite gender, do you just call it "going out" or do you specifically use the word "date"?

Or does it depend on if you're asking the girl, (e.g. "Hey <woman's name>, would you like to go on a date?") or referring to her to someone else (e.g. "Hey <buddy's name>, I'm going on a date with <woman's name>.")?

In other words, do you use the word "date" anymore in this context?

I personally have noticed the word "dating" disappearing from people's vocabulary; or perhaps I'm getting brainwashed by the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
There are dates on the calendar and there are romantic dates. Not every outing with a member of the opposite sex is termed a date by me. It depends on his attitude. Four years ago, when my friends were trying to set me up with this guy (I really hated his personality), every time he tried to try to arrange a get together with me, he would finish by saying "so it's a date them?" And then I would glare at him and say that it wasn't a date and he would back pedal quickly and deny that's what he was hoping for. But I could tell that he wanted to have a romantic date with me, but it never happened.

I just don't like to lead a guy on if all I am interested in is a platonic relationship. If a meal is involved, I will split the bill and tip with him.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,065 times
This new generation has different definitions. Dating means going out but not exclusively, I believe. I believe "going out" means exclusive. In any case, I wouldn't say "date". I would say would you like to go such and such? Everyone I know hates "dating," the getting to know each other.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,037 times
so if a guy that you knew as a friend previously called you up and said "are you seeing anyone right now, would you like to go out this weekend for a drink" and you said "yes"

would that be a date or not?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,969 times
this actually happened to me.

this guy that had been talking to me online, who i had met at a show a year earlier, said that when he was coming to town, let's go out for drinks. i was fine with that. i had NO romantic interest in him because the way i met him is because he's one of the best friends of this guy i'm truly interested in but can't be with. just trust me, awkward.

anyway, he got to town and i was like "dude, drinks?" and he asked me where i wanted to go. I told him i didn't know because I had only lived in Chicago a couple months by then, and he said something about it was my decision and the word date was thrown around, and i laughed and said it was soooo not a date, and he got offended or something and stopped talking to me.

he hasn't talked to me since. hmph.

i actually refuse to use the word date because i don't want to give anyone the wrong idea.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:30 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
so if a guy that you knew as a friend previously called you up and said "are you seeing anyone right now, would you like to go out this weekend for a drink" and you said "yes"

Going out for a drink is never a date. In your example, that would just be a couple of drinks and a chance to catch up on old times as friends.

A date would be let's get together for dinner and a movie, or something like that.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
I have alot of male friends, when we go out, its just an evening out. A date is something I do with someone who is a prospective romantic involvement.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,920,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
this actually happened to me.

this guy that had been talking to me online, who i had met at a show a year earlier, said that when he was coming to town, let's go out for drinks. i was fine with that. i had NO romantic interest in him because the way i met him is because he's one of the best friends of this guy i'm truly interested in but can't be with. just trust me, awkward.

anyway, he got to town and i was like "dude, drinks?" and he asked me where i wanted to go. I told him i didn't know because I had only lived in Chicago a couple months by then, and he said something about it was my decision and the word date was thrown around, and i laughed and said it was soooo not a date, and he got offended or something and stopped talking to me.

he hasn't talked to me since. hmph.

i actually refuse to use the word date because i don't want to give anyone the wrong idea.
That's funny about how the guy was so offended b/c you downgraded the "date" to just going out for drinks.

So for all of you who do go out w/ someone that you are interested in, you do refer to those dates as "dates"? Even in that context, the word seems, dated (no pun intended ).

Old 01-28-2008, 11:38 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,953 times
I think the younger crowd 20 or less use the term going out to cover a broader spectrum of activities. Imagine going out with "mary" could mean, a date, a serious interest by both, or just hanging out. Less pressure than Dating.

I called my 23 yer old to ask him the question, but it appears he was busy helping some people move. I think him and his room mates are renting the garge of a three bedroom house to some girls!

Now admit it don't you wish you were that adventurous again.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

It might be considered a date (but no one says that) but it's not "dating." Dating is when it becomes repetitious, by today's lingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships